“Slightly let down”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
“Slightly let down”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were so looking forward to our overnight stay at Mar Hall, overall we were impressed but we feel let down with a few things that should not happen at a 5* hotel. Our room was No 48, after the cold walk down to the room due to having to walk past the golf shop where the door never seems to close, we entered our room which on first impression looked very good, with a view of the golf course and hills, however we soon noticed the dust on the wall which you could write your name on it, cob webs hanging from the ceiling, the heating went off around 5pm resulting in both of us having to put on the house coats. The swimming pool was not available due to a overnight power cut, the guy at the pooy said this would be sorted by the next morning, turned up at 8am still the same excuse?? We left these remarks in our room, we are still waiting on a reply, my feeling is the cleaner read it and deceided not to hand it in. The meal at night was very good and the entertainment was very nice. The next morning we were awakend at 7:30am by the woman next door talking constantly for 45mins, soundproofing in the room very poor. At checkout the girl at the desk never asked if we enjoyed or visit, have a nice journey, nothing but sign here. As I said overall the hotel is an excellant stay, to make it perfect correct the little things mentioned

1 Thank AlfieandElla
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to right a review. I am obviously disappointed to read that you felt let down by a number of aspects during your stay. I will discuss your feedback with our team to insure improvements are made immediately. At Mar Hall we work to the highest standards possible so we are surprised by some of your comments. In terms of the quality of your room and the heating I will be discussing this with our housekeeping team.
Unfortunately our pool was closed for a short time and we apologies for any inconvenience cause. We take quality of customer service seriously here at Mar Hall and I will action on your comments and focus on improving our service to the highest of standards.
Our chefs will be delighted you enjoyed your evening meal and I’m placed you enjoyed the evening entertainment. I am though surprised by your check out experience. Our staff are usually so friendly and helpful. But i appreciate your feedback and I will discuss this with the team.
You have made some good points that I have fully taken on-board and hope that you will stay with us again soon to enjoy the high quality of service we strive to.
Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mar Hall a couple of weeks ago for a romantic weekend and I have to say it was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are tastefully decorated to a very high standard. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and the food was excellent, and had drinks in the Great Hall after, were we were entertained by the fabulous 'Ginny and Tonic', a singing duo who sung any request they were asked to and sounded great. Breakfast both mornings was delish and there was wide choice in hot and cold buffet selection as well as a separate menu to choose form. The second night we ate in the Great Hall and chose from the Bar menu and we were pleasantly at the choice and standard of the menu and food served. The staff were helpful and so friendly without being over familiar. My once request would be for a separate cocktail bar or lounge area to have a drink before or after our meal. There is a bar but it's mostly used by the golfers during the day and is a bit bright and informal for the evening. I will definitely be returning to Mar Hall and hopefully very soon and would confidently recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: If you can afford to, Upgrade to one of the suites.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a great review. I am delighted you and your husband enjoyed your weekend at Mar Hall. We are really lucky to have such a stunning location and a beautiful building. I am also pleased you enjoyed your meal and the entertainment on show.
Our chefs take pride in offering a sumptuous hot and cold breakfast to our guests every morning, so I am pleased you enjoyed the selection on offer.
I am delighted you had a lovely meal from the bar menu and that you found your service to be helpful. I also take on board and understand your comment on having a separate room for before or after meal drinks.
Your recommendation means a great deal and we hope to see you back at Mar Hall soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Visited the Italian for a late lunch/early dinner with a 5pm deal. It is a cosy little place with nice decor and the service was great in the main. The food was lovely and very well presented with very reasonable portions.
Worth a visit, but we probably wouldn't have been overly joyous if we had paid the £50odds that the 2 courses and 2 soft drinks would have cost us full price. We felt it was good value for the £20 we paid.
We also felt a little bit ignored after we didn't buy dessert [there was nothing on the menu that suited] and ended up collecting our own coats and leaving without so much as a 'bye' from the staff.

1 Thank Inbetweener33
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Our chefs work so hard to ensure we offer top-class menus and exquisite cuisine at reasonable prices, so I am pleased you enjoyed your Italian meal in our Il Posto restaurant. I am pleased that you managed to take advantage of a 5pm deal, and experienced high levels of service from our team during your meal. Our chefs are dedicated to creating the highest quality cuisine with the best Scottish ingredients, and we feel that our own pricing structure represents excellent value.

I am extremely disappointed to read that service was lacking somewhat towards the end of your meal, and will be investigating the matter with our Restaurant Manager. We want all guests to leave Mar Hall feeling that they have received a five star service experience.

We hope you will join us again and allow us to prove to you our five star merits.

Lanark
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Where to start...looks stunning when you arrive, but the girls on the front desk are less than helpful, the girl who checked us in didn't tell us where anything was, including our room, she was supposed to book us into the restaurant but when the time came, didn't do that, we asked for a bucket with ice and it never appeared,. The room itself looked lovely at first glance, very grand, but on closer inspection the valence was ripped, there were hairs in the shower, the water was cold and the room was very drafty (we were in room 2). The food in the Italian restaurant was excellent as was the atmosphere and service, however at breakfast my bacon was raw! Had to send it back, not sure how you can go wrong with cooking bacon, but they certainly did. Overall I think the hotel is very grand, but the finer detail is missing, some of the staff (other than the 2 concierges who were great) are lacking motivation in their job and the place lacks serious atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Aileen S
I am extremely disappointed to read that our team let you down on the customer service front during your stay. The whole team here at Mar Hall endeavours to provide guests with outstanding service in every respect, and I apologise that this was not reflected in your experience. Our Guest Relations Team will investigate your comments about our receptionists, and take appropriate steps to resolve the issue. I am pleased to read that service, cuisine and atmosphere in our Il Posto Restaurant were first class, and that the service you received from our concierges was also up to scratch.

Your comments about the standard of your room come as a huge surprise, and I will be raising the issues you mentioned with housekeeping and maintenance. Many guests comment on how immaculate and cosy our rooms are, so it is disappointing that you did not feel this way.

Our buffet spread at breakfast is usually a big hit with guests, and I am surprised to hear about your uncooked bacon. I am pleased that our chefs resolved this, but will be investigating why you were served food that had not been cooked properly.

Feedback such as yours is invaluable in us making positive changes, so thank you for sharing with us.

South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Went to the Italian restaurant in the Marr hall for lunch and found it to be the most attentive, pleasant staff we have encountered for many along time. Nothing was a problem even when we requested something different from the set menu. The food was excellent as was the presentation and we enjoyed it so much we booked a return trip before we left.
The view and setting is superb and would be even better without the rain and scotch mist.
Looking forward to our next visit in a few weeks time.

1 Thank williamhughes101
Perth, Scotland
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Hi we stayed here recently and bought on itison deal, what a super place super big rooms, beautiful setting, very relaxed and friendly attentive staff thoroughly enjoyed our stay great food also and defo plan to go back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WendyPerth_Scotland
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Had another great overnight stay at Mar Hall with my daughter Christmas present to her from me for being a great daughter & friend. We had Sunday Lunch which was excellent - great service great food could not fault anything. Room was large and very comfortable beds we both had a great nights sleep. In the evening in the grand hall there was a duo singing and they were really really good this was a nice touch while we were sitting have a light snack and a drink to finish of our night. Unlike another review we had breakfast and once again could not fault it. A great selection of food including porridge, haggis, black pudding & potato scones very Scottish and a great touch and all cooked really nicely. The only down side was we had booked dinner in the new Italian restaurant on site and when we arrived we were told it was closed for maintenance and our booking had been moved to the main restaurant (were we had lunch) we were very disappointed as we did not want to eat in the same place twice in the one day. I feel that the Hotel could have contacted us before our arrival and we could have made our own alternative arrangements. We also had a 20% discount that we were using which was up that week and therefore would not be of use. Unusually I felt that the reception staff did not really care about our dinner situation and it was a case of take it or leave it this is what has happened. It will not put me off the Hotel and I will be back. Its just that you feel for a five star establishment like Mar Hall the service would be impeccable. Saying that the porter (did not get his name) was fantastic nothing was to much and he was so friendly - well done.

Room Tip: Rooms in main hotel are great and all different - they have deluxe split level rooms with a sitting...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TravelholicDuntocher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#14 of 95 in Glasgow
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!