“Highly Unproffesional”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
“Highly Unproffesional”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Having been in the hospitality business for 25 years I have never in that period of time came across such unprofessional staff.

After sitting in a very cold bar with my jacket on as was not warm enough to take off, the bar waitress for not at all pleasant and my daughter had to go up the bar to ask for two glasses of water which she then had to wait for as was not offered that they would be brought to the table. when my daughter was given then they were not with ice or lemon..!!!

Then as we were eating our dinner the waitress proceeded to have a conversation across the room to the head waitress about their plans for the following evening and other nights.. Highly Unprofessional..!! if that had been my staff I would have sacked them on the spot...
In a establishment like this you expect a high standard and not of that you would get in a bog standard corner cafe... Very dissapointed in Mar Hall..

Also the hygiene standard and overall condition was again very disjointing when compared to hotels of the same calibre which I have also stayed at and never felt the need to ever write a review before as I have always been happy with everything..Turnberry, Gleneagles and Old course St Andrews.. Marr has the worst staff and standard by far.

They where extremely eager to close the bar which we where sitting in ....at this point it was only 10:30pm ....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank globetrotter101_13
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
What a disappointing review. I am horrified to hear about the standards of service exhibited by our staff in the bar and restaurant, and will be looking into this straight away. As a five star establishment, Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort prides itself on providing top-class customer service to all guests – indeed many guests comment on how friendly and attentive our staff are. Please accept my apologies for failing you on these grounds.

I do hope you will give us another chance to prove to you our five star merits.

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Visited the hotel for a Sunday lunch. First impressions were very positive- beautiful building set in impressive grounds . Doorman very friendly and welcoming and quickly sorted out where we were booked for lunch- as we were intending to make use of the spa we weren't sure if we were in the main dining room . It was checked that we were indeed in the main dining room and after a short wait in the lounge we were shown to our table. The dining room was very impressive with a lovely view of the river. Menus drinks order and water were all quickly delivered . We were offered warm bread rolls and left to peruse the menu. Really good variety of dishes to choose from and the helpful advice from our waiter assisted the choices - ham hock terrine and rump of lamb and haggis neeps and tatties and salmon . A very leisurely and delicious lunch followed considerably enhanced by the service provided , attentive but not intrusive- nothing would be too much trouble was the impression given. We managed desserts of creme brûlée and a chewy chocolate cake followed by coffee and chocolates. As lunch took about 3 hours - we had no idea of the time as we were enjoying ourselves too much- we abandoned the spa visit- we were far too full anyway! Will definitely visit again and a big thank you again to our amazing waiter wish I had asked his name he's a real asset to the hotel .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Enjoyed the Spa so much during the day, we returned later with my children for dinner. The food was wonderful, my niece was given a complimentary drink for her birthday which was lovely, however whilst having drinks in the grand hall we were given our bill without reqesting it, a few minutes later we were invited to pay. I declined as we were quite frankly, not ready to leave. The hotel was very quiet however, staff were pacing around us making the younger children feel quite uncomfortable and unwelcome, reserved cards were placed on all of the tables around us, then a few minutes later removed. What should have been an enjoyable relaxing day was spoiled by poor hotel etiquette.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alison A
Thank you for your valuable feedback about your stay with us. I am incredibly surprised and disappointed to read about your experience with the staff in our restaurant. We pride ourselves on providing an attentive, friendly yet discreet service, and I am so sorry that this was not the case in the Grand Hall. I am investigating this as a matter of priority, and would like to thank you for making us aware of your experience.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We arrived at 3.20 and waited in the grand hall as check in is not until 4pm. The receptionist told us she would let us when our room was ready. Several other guests were being given their keys so I returned to the desk at 4.15 to be told it had just that minute become ready! I also asked to book dinner and was told the earliest we could have was 8.30
Our room 1 was in the attic with the most wo derful views across the Clyde to the hills beyond but as it is many steps up it would not be suitable for everyone. The room and bed were very comfortable with a huge lovely bathroom again with a lovely view.
Feeling hungry at 7.20 I phoned the restaurant and was assured that there would be no problem in us eating earlier. The food and service were excellent.
Breakfast too was very good again with very attentive staff.
We visited the spa and enjoyed the lovely pool.
On checkout I joined the queue at reception where one girl attempted to sort out several guests problems. Perhaps another receptionist could help man the desk at checkout time .
Excellent hotel just let down a little by reception.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marguerite O
I am thrilled that you enjoyed staying in your room - great thought has gone into the individual design of each room, ensuring that each guest enjoys a unique experience. Our Executive Chef, Eric Avenie, will be delighted that you enjoyed your dinner – his melt-in-the-mouth creations are crafted using the very finest Scottish produce.

Your suggestion regarding reception is very useful, so thank you for that. We appreciate that your time is valuable, and hold ups at check out have the potential to mar an otherwise excellent stay.

Haste ye back!

Dubai
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I went there for a wedding (which was easily the best wedding I've ever attended).
We booked in and immediately didn't like the room (an excellent room but it was up 2 flights of stairs which is a no-no fr my wife) but the transfer to a ground floor room was quickly facilitated by the staff while we sat in the bar having a drink.
The bar is in the style of a grand Scottish establishment BUT they only had draught lager on sale. I had hoped for a pint of real Scottish ale but no luck.
This is fairly typical now of hotels in the UK in general - just one gigantic pump spewing out Carlsberg or some other throat-sawing brew. A case methinks of profits over what guests really want.

Anyway, the room was great, the dinner that night was above average and the breakfast was the usual Scottish Breakfast that would sink a battleship (but in a good way).

Going through my usual check-list
Checking in - very easy
Changing rooms - effortless
Front desk - responsive and efficient
Dinner - above average
Breakfast - excellent
Room - clean and well appointed
En-suite bathroom - spotless and a walk-in shower
Hotel grounds - well kept
View - the hotel overlooks the Clyde

An enjoyable experience all round

There is a golf course and our friends who played it said it was first class (I didn't attempt it - I'm rubbish at golf)

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to submit such a comprehensive review about your stay with us. I am thrilled that we came up trumps on every component of your check-list!

Thank you for your feedback regarding stocking Scottish ale in our bar – this is something we are currently looking into, as we would love to be able to provide guests with traditional Scottish ale.

We do hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My 3 friends and I recently had afternoon tea at Mar Hall. We purchased this via Itison and what a wonderful deal it was! The sandwiches, cakes and tea were all lovely and the service was good. I would thoroughly recommend afternoon tea here to everyone! Will come again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Arrived early and found room was ready - delighted to be upgraded to junior suite
Lovely room with great view over the River Clyde.
Spa was well presented and the therapists were friendly and professional in their approach.
Pool and area very pleasant - a few more loungers might have been useful
Dinner was very well presented without being too pretentious - good selection of wines. Staff were attentive and friendly.
After dinner listened to a talented young lady playing piano and singing in the Grand Hall.
Room and bed was extremely comfy allowing for a settled sleep. Woke next morning to a beautiful sunny scene over the golf course and river.
Only negative observation would be the charge for Internet access.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#13 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!