“Quirky Hotel With a Difference”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bishopton
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Mar Hall is a few miles west of Glasgow Airport looking over the River Clyde close to the Erskine Bridge. It has its own golf course and spa and is a sprawling mansion in huge grounds. It is certainly different to the average hotel and quite an experience. Big bedrooms, big public rooms, high ceilings and big windows. The furnishings are traditional, old-style, semi-opulent (four poster beds), if sometimes appearing a little out of place and inconsistent with their surroundings....but that is the traditional period style that makes it different. It is tidy and spacious and very relaxing. Food was good too and staff were plentiful and all attentive. Price was reasonable too. I expected it to be a bit more than it was. Great for a change from the 5 star international hotels........but it is a country hotel around 10 miles from Glasgow City (but easy access if you have a car). A thoroughly good experience overall with no complaints from me.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was my second stay at this fabulous hotel, it was a groupon deal I had got for mums Xmas for relaxing girly time. Hotel again did not disappoint, largely due to the staff. Our lunch was delicious, plenty of it the waiters were very attentive and friendly. The last time I visited I enjoyed my Aveda treatments but noticed the switch to decloer products, the spa experience was still as good, very relaxing. The staff again were fab especially at our spa lunch, the waitress was so friendly and nothing was a bother. The room was quiet, luxury accomodation. We got a takeaway pizza at night from the restaurant which was reasonably priced again friendly staff. Delighted that there are occasional deals on likes of groupon, makes it affordable for all to treat themselves to slice of luxury.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 13, 2013

What is there to say that hasn't already been said. This is one of the finest hotels I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. From the minute we walked up the steps to the reception we were treated like royalty. The staff are so friendly, and the hotel itself is gorgeous. We had a room on the ground floor overlooking the gardens. The room was amazing, with a HUGE four poster bed, massive bath, and more space than two people could ever need. We ate in the Il Posto restaurant. The food is of excellent quality, and the staff again very pleasant. Just what we needed for a chill out weekend, just wish we could have stayed another night, and got to use the spa too, definitely next time.

Room Tip: Room 25 is amazing.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

First visit to Mar Hall and wasn't disappointed. Stunning hotel with opulent furniture and the Grand Hall is spectacular.

Bedroom was beautifully furnished and had great views over the water. Lunch and breakfast were superb and all the staff could not be faulted.

Will not hesitate to return and recommend Mar Hall

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My sister and I spent one night at Mar Hall for my birthday and my sister's 40th and what can I say. On arrival our room wasn't ready so we went off to the spa for some R&R and a facial each. The spa was beautifully clean, the sauna bliss and our facials amazing. When we were ready to tear ourselves away we headed back to reception to head to our room. Well what a lovely treat we had in store - we were upgraded to a Grand Suite and I can honestly say I will never stay in such a wonderful suite again in my life. We were blown away by everything. We had a bottle of champagne and chocs waiting for us which was such a thrill! The bathroom was simply opulent, the sitting room stunning and our bedroom wow - even sharing a four poster bed with my wee sis was fabulous!!! Also i have never seen such amazing curtains in my life lol. The furniture and fittings were simply stunning. Dinner was included in our deal and Cristals was fabulous with an amazing choice. Breakfast was super too and I for one love a buffet breakfast because I am greedy and I wanted to try a bit of everything! My coffee cup was constantly refilled with delicious hot coffee and the choice was fantastic. I am going to start saving to take my husband away to Mar Hall to let him have a taste of this amazing 5 star experience as I truly cannot wait to go back. Thanks to everyone for making this such a terrific birthday treat for us and a special thank you to Andy who could not have been more helpful and obliging when I was making the booking.

Room Tip: Our suite was room 15 and if you can get the chance to stay in this suite then grab it. The views a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Your review has helped kick-start another glorious day here at Mar Hall! I am delighted that you and your sister had such a wonderful stay – this is the kind of feedback we strive for, and I will pass your kind words onto Andy.

We look forward to welcoming you (and your husband!) back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at Mar Hall and have enjoyed on both occasions. We booked the january sale deal along with friends and thought it was fantastic value. You cannot help being impressed by the grand hall with its amazing architecture and our rooms (junior suites with four poster beds) were huge and luxurious with views over the river towards the hills.

We had afternoon tea in the grand hall and complements to the chef on the wonderful range of sandwiches, cakes and scones. The staff were so helpful and immediately brought some plain scones when my friend said she didn't like fruit. Tea and coffee were replenished frequently.
In the evening we enjoyed sparkling wine and strawberries in our room before going down to dinner. We were given the 3 course set menu and advised that if we wanted something from the a la carte menu we would have £35 to spend. Perhaps in future it would be a good idea for staff to give both menus so that we could make a more informed choice, however that is a very small gripe as we thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Breakfast in the morning was also excellent. We finished our stay by having a mud treatment in the spa.

Can I just say that the staff could not be faulted in any way. We were made to feel so welcome without it feeling intrusive. Mar Hall have got this just right! Thank you for a wonderful weekend and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Junior suite with four poster bed was amazing with great views and sumptious furnishings,
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed at Mar Hall for the second time and was just as wowed as I was the first time. The building itself, inside and out is visually stunning. For an old building, it is lovely and warm inside. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was spacious and beautifully styled with a view over the gardens. The bathroom had the most enormously deep bath with loads of hot water, lovely strong shower and delightful toiletries that didn't irritate my very sensitive skin. Everything was spotlessly clean.
Staff are friendly and attentive without being intrusive and you are actively encouraged to wander around in your (provided) fluffy white dressing gown and slippers if you are utilising the spa and leisure facilities - there are corridors (well signposted) that allow you to move from one side of the hotel to the other in your dressing gown without having to parade down the Grand Hall. The spa was uber relaxing and the leisure facilities were clean, stylish and with a warm ambient air temperature.
The food was excellent. My work takes me regularly to London and I have eaten in some of the top restaurants and the food at Mar Hall easily matched any of them.
Every effort is made to make you feel entirely at home, to help you completely relax and we left feeling utterly spoiled.
Negatives: the restaurant felt under-staffed so service was a little inattentive, the staff forgot to collect our breakfast card requesting breakfast in our room but immediately rectified this with a quick call to reception and the bed was uncomfortable compared to the superb Hypnos bed we have at home. Did this put us off - definitely not. We left with the overall impression of having been on holiday for a week - totally relaxed, refreshed and pampered - not just away for a single night. Well done Mar Hall!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for submitting such a comprehensive review about your stay with us here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. We aim to provide a ‘home-from-home’ environment complemented by unrivalled customer service, a fabulous location and top-notch facilities. So pleased that you felt spoiled and refreshed after your visit!

I have taken on board your comments about staff in the restaurant, and will discuss this with the restaurant team. It is important to us that guests feel well-looked after at all times and enjoy a seamless dining experience. Likewise, it is a shame that you did not find our beds that comfortable – many guests actually comment on how good they are, but I appreciate that everyone has their own preferences.

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon!

Kind Regards,
Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 2 in Bishopton
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#11 of 93 in Glasgow

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!