“Birthday treat”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bishopton
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic night at the Mar Hall.
We were advised check-in would be from 4pm onwards but thought we would chance it and arrived around 2.30pm but the hotel was extremely busy so we decided to have a drink in the beautiful grand hall and listen to the piano music.
We went back to the reception at 4pm to check in but there was a bit of a mix up with our room. The staff could not have been nicer, especially Imi (hope I've got the name correct, apologise if I haven't) or more helpful in correcting the error. Very apologetic and we were upgraded to a junior suite. It was fantastic!!!!
We went for dinner around 7.30 and had a delicious meal. We had the Chateaubriand for our main which was to die for. We were expecting nouvelle cuisine as you get in a lot of 5 star hotels but the portions were a good size.
After dinner we went back to the grand hall and listened to a young woman singing and playing piano, she had a lovely voice.
We decided to have breakfast in our suite the next morning as we wanted to take full advantage of our beautiful room, berakfast was also delicious.
We had a lovely time and will definately be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Lovely treat, Sunday lunch and overnight stay. Weather was rubbish so we didn't venture outside but we didn't need to. Sunday roast beef a bit rare but otherwise lovely. Room was massive with great views and right beside the pool and gym. Hearty breakfast too. Definately go back again

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We've stayed in Mar Hall before for an overnight a couple of years back and this was a return (xmas treat).

I'd booked a Junior Suite package with spa - unfortunately I received a call the day before alerting me to a heating problem which meant that all rooms weren't available - we were offered a smaller room, albeit with a reduction in price, or the opportunity to cancel.

I should say that the lady who called me was perfectly courteous - I suppose a gripe though is I wasn't offered an upgraded room instead. I called back later to confirm we would go ahead with the new room and asked if there were any bigger (better) rooms available and was told the hotel was fully booked. No way of knowing - and I should take her for her word however maybe stating that initially wouldn't have led me to being a little curious?

Anyway - Mar Hall is a fantastic venue. Lovely grounds, stunning Grand Hall and Dining Room. We were politely checked in and offered a luggage service which we declined (I always feel it's unnecessary when it's a one nighter but it's nice to be asked). Our room was the typicaly luxurious room you'd expect in a place like this - however another gripe is that it was in the basement and I was looking out at the carpark. Yes - we got a reduction in price, however I was happy enough paying the initial amount for the Junior Suite so would have appreciated perhaps more effort in finding us a better room. Our room was also heated by temporary electric heaters - now this in itself isn't a terrible issue if they had heating problems as originally stated - however if so I'd have been happy in the suite with the same heaters.

One final thing to mention - and I do so in the hope it's picked up by someone at the hotel is that having been fairly accommodating by moving and not moaning, it would have perhaps have been nice to have some sort of personal touch - an enquiry by someone as to our room, an apology or simply a personal thank you for being accommodating. Other than the phone call prior to our stay it was the only time it was mentioned. A drink at the bar, a free spa..... anything would have been welcomed as a nice touch.

Anyway - this wasn't meant as a moan - the hotel itself is wonderful, dinner was fabulous, the hall and bar area are lovely to relax around and breakfast was excellent in the morning.

We'll be back.

1  Thank Graceabella
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you for your fair and measured comments about your experience of Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. As a hotel that prides itself on personal touches and top-class service, you are absolutely right: an effort ought to have been made to show more appreciation towards you for moving. I apologise that this did not happen, and would like to take the opportunity now to thank you for your understanding of the situation.

I am pleased that you found your room to be luxurious nevertheless, and enjoyed the sumptuous cuisine laid on by our team of talented chefs in the restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful overnight at Mar hall. We had our wedding reception there in sept 2011 and so it was lovely to finally return to re-live the memories!

We had booked a special deal before Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed an amazing suite( room. 22) the best room we've ever stayed in- well apart from the honeymoon suite at mar hall!! the service from staff was 5star - couldn't be more helpful. They work very hard and the results are worth it!

We also took advantage of a spa offer and enjoyed the mud chamber treatment for 2. It was an interesting experience- not what we had imagined- we visioned thick mud cracking on the skin as you sit in a sauna- but it's more thick body lotion that drips off you after 20 minutes of intense heat!! Skin felt incredible after it though and staff were lovely so no complaints!!!

Mar hall is a wonderful hotel- surroundings are super and you are made to feel very welcome and very relaxed! It's a special treat for us- as it is expensive- but very worthwhile!

Stay in this place if you get the chance- you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: January 2013

Many thanks for your kind words – we hope to welcome you and your husband back for a third visit soon!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Had a lovely experience here for the winter warmer spa package with a friend for our birthday treat. Monday 28/01/13 Staff really friendly and helpful. Spa areas very relaxing, all very clean and presentable. I had a luxury facial which is the best one I've had very good. - thank you I think the girls name was Kaye?? Wish I had booked another treatment for after lunch. Lunch was fine soup and a sandwich no drinks included in the price though, the poor girl in the spa cafe was run off her feet!! I felt bad for her, we all seemed to descend at the one time. Overall would return to Mar Hall for another spa experience and maybe some afternoon tea soon. :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

We pride ourselves on our state of the art Decleor spa facilities, so I’m glad you found the time to indulge and treat yourself. We hope to welcome you back for afternoon tea very soon!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our first impression was that we were in for a five star treat.

Architecturally, Marr Hall is stunning and the location is truly beautiful.

We arrived early and had tea in the Grand Hall while our room was being made ready. It is a magnificent room and was bustling with ladies taking afternoon tea giving it a surprisingly inviting and cosy atmosphere.

We were checked in by a charming young man, who directed us to our room but I did expect to be shown the way, especially as it was on the top floor and the route was through various corridors and staircases. Not surprisingly we got lost and had to ask directions. There was also no offer of help with our luggage.

We stayed in a deluxe room which was large and well furnished with a lovely view over the hotel’s golf course to the river and the hills beyond. The bathroom was huge with a separate double shower and even had a chaise lounge.

The hotel boasts a fine spa and we thoroughly enjoyed the pool, sauna and steam room.
We had pre dinner drinks in the bar where our order for dinner was taken promptly. We were shown to our table in the lovely restaurant where I expected our starters to be waiting for us but we had to wait for them to be served. The main courses were fine but my husband’s vegetables arrived five minutes after his fish.

I found the buffet breakfast disappointing but my husband loved the kedgeree.

Marr Hall is most definitely not the worst place I have stayed in, in Scotland but it is also not the best. I appreciate maintaining a Gothic Mansion such as this, is no mean fea,t but a little more TLC is required and a bit more attention to detail by the staff could go a long way to making this the venue it deserves.

Not quite the special experience I expected.

Room Tip: We had room two which we liked as it was large and had a lovely view but the pink fussy wallpaper an...
1  Thank weecat20

Many thanks for your comprehensive comments about your stay with us here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. Each room is individually designed, meaning that each guest has a unique experience.

I am pleased that you managed to spend a bit of quality time together unwinding in our state-of-the-art Decleor Spa during your stay with us. The Rasul Mud Chamber Experience is a sublime treat for couples!

Our chefs take pride in offering a hot and sumptuous breakfast to our guests every morning; it is a shame that you found our offerings to be disappointing, but I am glad that your husband enjoyed his kedgeree!

I apologise that no help was offered with your luggage, and will speak to our front of house team about this. We usually have porters on hand to ensure that guests can comfortably and easily reach their rooms, so I apologise that no assistance was offered here.

We hope you will return again, and give us the chance to prove to you our five star merits.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed at Mar Hall for my birthday. I can honestly say it just gets better with every visit. It's a truly stunning hotel, with beautifully manicured gardens. As luck would have it it snowed on our way to the hotel and this just added to the view from our deluxe room. We loved the sash windows, the four poster bed, the massive bath. The rooms and hotel itself were lovely and warm even although it was very cold outside. The afternoon tea in the main hall was fantastic and dinner in Cristal's was fabulous again. It's like stepping back in time and living my very own Downton Abbey experience. Lastly I cannot praise the staff enough. Every single person we spoke to were exceptionally friendly, chatty and helpful. I can only imagine that going to work at such a beautiful hotel is what keeps them so happy. If things continue as they are, I will go back to Mar Hall for my birthday every single year for the rest of my life.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

A truly wonderful testimonial! Thank you so much for your kind words – we endeavour to provide each guest with personalised yet discreet top-quality service, and are fortunate to have such breath-taking grounds and interiors.

We hope to have the chance to celebrate your birthday again next year with you!

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 2 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#12 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!