“Excellent Hotel Experience”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
Greenock, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel Experience”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We've stayed in Mar Hall before for an overnight a couple of years back and this was a return (xmas treat).

I'd booked a Junior Suite package with spa - unfortunately I received a call the day before alerting me to a heating problem which meant that all rooms weren't available - we were offered a smaller room, albeit with a reduction in price, or the opportunity to cancel.

I should say that the lady who called me was perfectly courteous - I suppose a gripe though is I wasn't offered an upgraded room instead. I called back later to confirm we would go ahead with the new room and asked if there were any bigger (better) rooms available and was told the hotel was fully booked. No way of knowing - and I should take her for her word however maybe stating that initially wouldn't have led me to being a little curious?

Anyway - Mar Hall is a fantastic venue. Lovely grounds, stunning Grand Hall and Dining Room. We were politely checked in and offered a luggage service which we declined (I always feel it's unnecessary when it's a one nighter but it's nice to be asked). Our room was the typicaly luxurious room you'd expect in a place like this - however another gripe is that it was in the basement and I was looking out at the carpark. Yes - we got a reduction in price, however I was happy enough paying the initial amount for the Junior Suite so would have appreciated perhaps more effort in finding us a better room. Our room was also heated by temporary electric heaters - now this in itself isn't a terrible issue if they had heating problems as originally stated - however if so I'd have been happy in the suite with the same heaters.

One final thing to mention - and I do so in the hope it's picked up by someone at the hotel is that having been fairly accommodating by moving and not moaning, it would have perhaps have been nice to have some sort of personal touch - an enquiry by someone as to our room, an apology or simply a personal thank you for being accommodating. Other than the phone call prior to our stay it was the only time it was mentioned. A drink at the bar, a free spa..... anything would have been welcomed as a nice touch.

Anyway - this wasn't meant as a moan - the hotel itself is wonderful, dinner was fabulous, the hall and bar area are lovely to relax around and breakfast was excellent in the morning.

We'll be back.

1 Thank Graceabella
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your fair and measured comments about your experience of Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. As a hotel that prides itself on personal touches and top-class service, you are absolutely right: an effort ought to have been made to show more appreciation towards you for moving. I apologise that this did not happen, and would like to take the opportunity now to thank you for your understanding of the situation.

I am pleased that you found your room to be luxurious nevertheless, and enjoyed the sumptuous cuisine laid on by our team of talented chefs in the restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful overnight at Mar hall. We had our wedding reception there in sept 2011 and so it was lovely to finally return to re-live the memories!

We had booked a special deal before Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed an amazing suite( room. 22) the best room we've ever stayed in- well apart from the honeymoon suite at mar hall!! the service from staff was 5star - couldn't be more helpful. They work very hard and the results are worth it!

We also took advantage of a spa offer and enjoyed the mud chamber treatment for 2. It was an interesting experience- not what we had imagined- we visioned thick mud cracking on the skin as you sit in a sauna- but it's more thick body lotion that drips off you after 20 minutes of intense heat!! Skin felt incredible after it though and staff were lovely so no complaints!!!

Mar hall is a wonderful hotel- surroundings are super and you are made to feel very welcome and very relaxed! It's a special treat for us- as it is expensive- but very worthwhile!

Stay in this place if you get the chance- you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed January 2013
Many thanks for your kind words – we hope to welcome you and your husband back for a third visit soon!

glasgow
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Had a lovely experience here for the winter warmer spa package with a friend for our birthday treat. Monday 28/01/13 Staff really friendly and helpful. Spa areas very relaxing, all very clean and presentable. I had a luxury facial which is the best one I've had very good. - thank you I think the girls name was Kaye?? Wish I had booked another treatment for after lunch. Lunch was fine soup and a sandwich no drinks included in the price though, the poor girl in the spa cafe was run off her feet!! I felt bad for her, we all seemed to descend at the one time. Overall would return to Mar Hall for another spa experience and maybe some afternoon tea soon. :-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
We pride ourselves on our state of the art Decleor spa facilities, so I’m glad you found the time to indulge and treat yourself. We hope to welcome you back for afternoon tea very soon!

ayrshire
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our first impression was that we were in for a five star treat.

Architecturally, Marr Hall is stunning and the location is truly beautiful.

We arrived early and had tea in the Grand Hall while our room was being made ready. It is a magnificent room and was bustling with ladies taking afternoon tea giving it a surprisingly inviting and cosy atmosphere.

We were checked in by a charming young man, who directed us to our room but I did expect to be shown the way, especially as it was on the top floor and the route was through various corridors and staircases. Not surprisingly we got lost and had to ask directions. There was also no offer of help with our luggage.

We stayed in a deluxe room which was large and well furnished with a lovely view over the hotel’s golf course to the river and the hills beyond. The bathroom was huge with a separate double shower and even had a chaise lounge.

The hotel boasts a fine spa and we thoroughly enjoyed the pool, sauna and steam room.
We had pre dinner drinks in the bar where our order for dinner was taken promptly. We were shown to our table in the lovely restaurant where I expected our starters to be waiting for us but we had to wait for them to be served. The main courses were fine but my husband’s vegetables arrived five minutes after his fish.

I found the buffet breakfast disappointing but my husband loved the kedgeree.

Marr Hall is most definitely not the worst place I have stayed in, in Scotland but it is also not the best. I appreciate maintaining a Gothic Mansion such as this, is no mean fea,t but a little more TLC is required and a bit more attention to detail by the staff could go a long way to making this the venue it deserves.

Not quite the special experience I expected.

Room Tip: We had room two which we liked as it was large and had a lovely view but the pink fussy wallpaper an...
1 Thank weecat20
Many thanks for your comprehensive comments about your stay with us here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. Each room is individually designed, meaning that each guest has a unique experience.

I am pleased that you managed to spend a bit of quality time together unwinding in our state-of-the-art Decleor Spa during your stay with us. The Rasul Mud Chamber Experience is a sublime treat for couples!

Our chefs take pride in offering a hot and sumptuous breakfast to our guests every morning; it is a shame that you found our offerings to be disappointing, but I am glad that your husband enjoyed his kedgeree!

I apologise that no help was offered with your luggage, and will speak to our front of house team about this. We usually have porters on hand to ensure that guests can comfortably and easily reach their rooms, so I apologise that no assistance was offered here.

We hope you will return again, and give us the chance to prove to you our five star merits.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed at Mar Hall for my birthday. I can honestly say it just gets better with every visit. It's a truly stunning hotel, with beautifully manicured gardens. As luck would have it it snowed on our way to the hotel and this just added to the view from our deluxe room. We loved the sash windows, the four poster bed, the massive bath. The rooms and hotel itself were lovely and warm even although it was very cold outside. The afternoon tea in the main hall was fantastic and dinner in Cristal's was fabulous again. It's like stepping back in time and living my very own Downton Abbey experience. Lastly I cannot praise the staff enough. Every single person we spoke to were exceptionally friendly, chatty and helpful. I can only imagine that going to work at such a beautiful hotel is what keeps them so happy. If things continue as they are, I will go back to Mar Hall for my birthday every single year for the rest of my life.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
A truly wonderful testimonial! Thank you so much for your kind words – we endeavour to provide each guest with personalised yet discreet top-quality service, and are fortunate to have such breath-taking grounds and interiors.

We hope to have the chance to celebrate your birthday again next year with you!

Dunbar
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A genuine 5 star hotel with friendly, efficient SCOTTISH staff - It really does make a huge difference!! The hotel is visually stunning with the beautiful vaulted ceilings and original features, every area is lavishly furnished and the Grand Hall itself was spectacular. It was really lovely to sit there in the evening and listen to the grand piano being played and Rabbie Burns being sung (we stayed on Burns night!).

We had upgraded to a Junior Suite which was huge and beautifully decorated with a very comfortable four poster bed and stunning views over the Clyde, the bathroom was also gorgeous with twin sinks, big deep bath and great shower - lovely fluffy towels and bathrobe. Only little gripes is that the room was a bit too warm at night and there was no mini-bar price list!! ;-)

We dined in the on site Italian restaraunt and the food was delicious, fresh and filling. As a vegetarian it was nice to have more than one option on the menu and not to left wanting for flavour!!
Breakfast was fantastic - hot and cold buffet which was constantly refreshed/ replenished, (not your usual lukewarm offerings that have sat out half the morning!) very attentive waiting staff and spotless tables.

We had a bit of an issue when it came to checking out as we had agreed a ' special' upgrade price over the phone prior to our arrival which somehow managed to almost double in price when the bill was presented. However after a talk with the manager ( in which he described a misunderstanding which I would more readily describe as misleading!) he amended our bill and made sure we were happy with everything else. Bills in EVERY hotel should be closely checked!!

Before leaving we went for a sauna and swim which was - once again - fantastic. Warm, clean, stylish,spotless facilities, very friendly staff. Unfortunately we had to cut our swim short as they had an issue with the chlorine levels in the pool, however they were very apologetic and well these things happen!!

I can honestly say that this hotel comes highly recommended. We were treated faultlessly throughout our stay despite it being an 'itison deal' and having stayed previously in Hilton and Radisson hotels the Mar Hall outshines them all in every way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
What a lovely review! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Burns Night stay here with us at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. The beautiful 240 acre woodland estate in which we are nestled provides an element of unrivalled tranquillity for guests seeking a luxurious escape from the city.

Mar Hall’s centrepiece, the main baronial mansion, was designed in the 19th century by Sir Robert Smirke. Smirke’s goal was to echo the manorial, domestic gothic style which was popular during the reign of Queen Elizabeth the First – the end result really is something special.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced at check-out, but am pleased to read that our Manager was able to swiftly resolve this for you. Please be assured that the temperature in the rooms is something we are working hard to regulate over the winter months. You ought to have received a mini-bar price list in your room – I have now brought this to the attention of house-keeping.

All in all, I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Haste ye back!

glasgow
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Mar Hall for dinner to meet my in laws who were staying at the hotel. As it was a big birthday for my mother in law I had organised champagne to be left in the room for their arrival and also asked if I could put some balloons and cards in the room as a surprise. The staff could not have been more accommodating and the end result was a very surprised and happy mother in law. Dinner was delicious and the waiting staff outstanding. Mar Hall is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Go for deluxe
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#13 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!