“Missed Opportunity for Mar Hall”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
ayrshire
“Missed Opportunity for Mar Hall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our first impression was that we were in for a five star treat.

Architecturally, Marr Hall is stunning and the location is truly beautiful.

We arrived early and had tea in the Grand Hall while our room was being made ready. It is a magnificent room and was bustling with ladies taking afternoon tea giving it a surprisingly inviting and cosy atmosphere.

We were checked in by a charming young man, who directed us to our room but I did expect to be shown the way, especially as it was on the top floor and the route was through various corridors and staircases. Not surprisingly we got lost and had to ask directions. There was also no offer of help with our luggage.

We stayed in a deluxe room which was large and well furnished with a lovely view over the hotel’s golf course to the river and the hills beyond. The bathroom was huge with a separate double shower and even had a chaise lounge.

The hotel boasts a fine spa and we thoroughly enjoyed the pool, sauna and steam room.
We had pre dinner drinks in the bar where our order for dinner was taken promptly. We were shown to our table in the lovely restaurant where I expected our starters to be waiting for us but we had to wait for them to be served. The main courses were fine but my husband’s vegetables arrived five minutes after his fish.

I found the buffet breakfast disappointing but my husband loved the kedgeree.

Marr Hall is most definitely not the worst place I have stayed in, in Scotland but it is also not the best. I appreciate maintaining a Gothic Mansion such as this, is no mean fea,t but a little more TLC is required and a bit more attention to detail by the staff could go a long way to making this the venue it deserves.

Not quite the special experience I expected.

Room Tip: We had room two which we liked as it was large and had a lovely view but the pink fussy wallpaper an...
1 Thank weecat20
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Many thanks for your comprehensive comments about your stay with us here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. Each room is individually designed, meaning that each guest has a unique experience.

I am pleased that you managed to spend a bit of quality time together unwinding in our state-of-the-art Decleor Spa during your stay with us. The Rasul Mud Chamber Experience is a sublime treat for couples!

Our chefs take pride in offering a hot and sumptuous breakfast to our guests every morning; it is a shame that you found our offerings to be disappointing, but I am glad that your husband enjoyed his kedgeree!

I apologise that no help was offered with your luggage, and will speak to our front of house team about this. We usually have porters on hand to ensure that guests can comfortably and easily reach their rooms, so I apologise that no assistance was offered here.

We hope you will return again, and give us the chance to prove to you our five star merits.

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed at Mar Hall for my birthday. I can honestly say it just gets better with every visit. It's a truly stunning hotel, with beautifully manicured gardens. As luck would have it it snowed on our way to the hotel and this just added to the view from our deluxe room. We loved the sash windows, the four poster bed, the massive bath. The rooms and hotel itself were lovely and warm even although it was very cold outside. The afternoon tea in the main hall was fantastic and dinner in Cristal's was fabulous again. It's like stepping back in time and living my very own Downton Abbey experience. Lastly I cannot praise the staff enough. Every single person we spoke to were exceptionally friendly, chatty and helpful. I can only imagine that going to work at such a beautiful hotel is what keeps them so happy. If things continue as they are, I will go back to Mar Hall for my birthday every single year for the rest of my life.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
A truly wonderful testimonial! Thank you so much for your kind words – we endeavour to provide each guest with personalised yet discreet top-quality service, and are fortunate to have such breath-taking grounds and interiors.

We hope to have the chance to celebrate your birthday again next year with you!

Dunbar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

A genuine 5 star hotel with friendly, efficient SCOTTISH staff - It really does make a huge difference!! The hotel is visually stunning with the beautiful vaulted ceilings and original features, every area is lavishly furnished and the Grand Hall itself was spectacular. It was really lovely to sit there in the evening and listen to the grand piano being played and Rabbie Burns being sung (we stayed on Burns night!).

We had upgraded to a Junior Suite which was huge and beautifully decorated with a very comfortable four poster bed and stunning views over the Clyde, the bathroom was also gorgeous with twin sinks, big deep bath and great shower - lovely fluffy towels and bathrobe. Only little gripes is that the room was a bit too warm at night and there was no mini-bar price list!! ;-)

We dined in the on site Italian restaraunt and the food was delicious, fresh and filling. As a vegetarian it was nice to have more than one option on the menu and not to left wanting for flavour!!
Breakfast was fantastic - hot and cold buffet which was constantly refreshed/ replenished, (not your usual lukewarm offerings that have sat out half the morning!) very attentive waiting staff and spotless tables.

We had a bit of an issue when it came to checking out as we had agreed a ' special' upgrade price over the phone prior to our arrival which somehow managed to almost double in price when the bill was presented. However after a talk with the manager ( in which he described a misunderstanding which I would more readily describe as misleading!) he amended our bill and made sure we were happy with everything else. Bills in EVERY hotel should be closely checked!!

Before leaving we went for a sauna and swim which was - once again - fantastic. Warm, clean, stylish,spotless facilities, very friendly staff. Unfortunately we had to cut our swim short as they had an issue with the chlorine levels in the pool, however they were very apologetic and well these things happen!!

I can honestly say that this hotel comes highly recommended. We were treated faultlessly throughout our stay despite it being an 'itison deal' and having stayed previously in Hilton and Radisson hotels the Mar Hall outshines them all in every way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
What a lovely review! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Burns Night stay here with us at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. The beautiful 240 acre woodland estate in which we are nestled provides an element of unrivalled tranquillity for guests seeking a luxurious escape from the city.

Mar Hall’s centrepiece, the main baronial mansion, was designed in the 19th century by Sir Robert Smirke. Smirke’s goal was to echo the manorial, domestic gothic style which was popular during the reign of Queen Elizabeth the First – the end result really is something special.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced at check-out, but am pleased to read that our Manager was able to swiftly resolve this for you. Please be assured that the temperature in the rooms is something we are working hard to regulate over the winter months. You ought to have received a mini-bar price list in your room – I have now brought this to the attention of house-keeping.

All in all, I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Haste ye back!

glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Mar Hall for dinner to meet my in laws who were staying at the hotel. As it was a big birthday for my mother in law I had organised champagne to be left in the room for their arrival and also asked if I could put some balloons and cards in the room as a surprise. The staff could not have been more accommodating and the end result was a very surprised and happy mother in law. Dinner was delicious and the waiting staff outstanding. Mar Hall is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Go for deluxe
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Mar Hall Hotel is a beautiful 15th Century Mansion House which underwent a massive renovation in 2004. We were in a lovely Junior Suite overlooking the golf course and the river. Dinner & Breakfast was amazing and they catered excellently for my gluten free dietary requirement without fuss. We had afternoon tea on the day we arrived and they had gluten free scones available for me - this is impressive. One night is just not enough in this beautiful Mansion. We will definitely be back in better weather to stay over and hopefully play the golf course. My only complaint was the Great Hall where drinks and afternoon tea is served was quite cold as some of the outside doors didn't close properly and it was very cold outside. This aside I would thoroughly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: It's worth asking for a room overlooking the golf course and river. The views are stunning.
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

we had an overnight stay on the 14th jan 2013 and had a fab time and made very welcome by the easy going staff and they catered for your every need.our bedroom was large and comfortable and we used the 20 metre pool and sauna. now let me tell you about the food,dinner was superb and i can still taste that succulent duck even now and breakfast was as expected ,a varied choice of hot and cold food that set you up for the trip home. i always wanted to try mar hall and it lived up to my expectations.tommy k

Room Tip: dont take room 19 as it looks over the car park,if you can get a room with the superb views it will...
Galashiels, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Let me start by saying, this is a lovely welcoming hotel and it would have recieved a five start review if not for the admin problems which led to our stay not going as smoothly as it could have done.

We booked via the hotel's own website where we had the option to add dinner for £35pp, which we did. The booking was to celebrate my birthday and so on the booking a request was made to have a table reserved for 8.30pm. A confirmation email came back confirming our booking.

On arrival, there was no history of our booking, luckily as it was 8pm, they did have a room available for us. Alexander the Hotel Manager was most apologetic, we were told the main dining room was very busy and booked until after 9pm (no record of reservation/no table reservation) Alexander recommended their Italian restaurant, Il Posto. We decided to eat there.

We were shown to our room which was clean, comfortable and adequate with lovely views of the river and Kilpatrick hills, but since we were not on the house keeping list because of the reservation problem, we did not receive turn down service; this was a big disappointment for my chocolate mad husband!

We went for dinner to Il Posto and I could not fault the staff or the food, it was lovely, my only moan was there was no heating in the ladies toilet and on a cold January night, it was damp with fogged up mirrors and you could see your breath in the air.

Back up to the Grand Hall for an after dinner drink, which was served quickly. Then back to the room which was cold, the radiators were not on. Climbed into bed to warm up and awoke in the middle of the night to sweltering heat, no happy medium.

Breakfast was great, a wee wait in the Grand Hall while we waited for a table but there was coffee, tea and juice available.

Check out was a bit of nightmare, it took almost 20 mins, we had to be into Glasgow for 12.30 and so weren’t able to resolve the fact we had pre paid £70 for dinner and only spent £40, however after a quick email to Alexander this was resolved and a refund sent.

We did not use any of the facilities as we didn’t have time but would like to return without the accompanying admin chaos.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Firstly, I would like to apologise about the problems created by a blip in our online booking system. Our system is usually pretty infallible, and I am incredibly sorry that it failed on this occasion. So unusual; our online booking team have been alerted to keep an eye out for potential issues, and will continue to check the system regularly.

I am delighted that you were pleased with your room. The views over the River Clyde and Kilpatrick Hills truly are breathtaking. I apologise that you did not receive turn-down service – the necessity for this ought to have been communicated to house-keeping when you were checked into the room.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed a delicious meal and flawless service in our Il Posto Restaurant for your birthday dinner. Our chefs pride themselves on creating classic yet unique dishes, and there is cuisine to suit every palate.

I have taken on board your comment about the temperature in the ladies toilet – I completely understand, there is nothing worse than going into a chilly bathroom. I have already passed this point to our maintenance team, who are arranging for heating to be provided in here.

I apologise about the temperature issue in your room – this is a recurring problem we are working hard to resolve. In such an old large building, achieving optimum temperature is difficult, though we are dedicated to sorting it out, as guest comfort is absolutely paramount.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you experienced at check-out, but am pleased to read that Alexander has already resolved this for you

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort has a reputation as a relaxing and comfortable luxury hotel, providing top-class customer service. I can assure you that your next visit will be just that. Many thanks again for your constructive comments.

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#13 of 96 in Glasgow
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,561 reviews
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!