“Great Service, Excellent Hotel but the food let it down”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bishopton
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip as it was very close to my work location. The hotel has everyting you would expect from a high class, high quality hotel and looks the part. It has it's own golf course and spa complex which includes a swimming pool, sauna and steam room plus a gym, although some of the equipment is looking a bit tired.

I stayed in room 37 which is a bit of a walk to get to, but it is probably one of the best hotel rooms I have been in; great bed, excellent facilities, free wifi, very spacious, trouser press, kettle, fridge, DVD player, very large TV. Very quiet at night!

The service was great, very polite and helpful. The only reason I'm not giving this a 5 star rating is the quality of the food, the hot buffet breakfast was very disappointing and the club sandwich I had in the bar was very dry and tasteless.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AnnieCat60
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

You’ve given us some really wonderful feedback here, which is fantastic! We pride ourselves on our spacious and unique rooms – each one has been individually designed, meaning that no two guests have exactly the same experience.

I am surprised to read that you did not enjoy our hot buffet breakfast – many guests cite this as a highlight of their visit, and the selection of cuisine available is really quite incredible. I am also sorry to read that you found the club sandwich to be dry and tasteless. Our chefs are known for delivering consistently high quality cuisine, and your comments about your sandwich will be addressed.

Finally, I am thrilled that we ticked all the boxes for you on the service front, and hope to welcome you back to Mar Hall soon.

There are newer reviews for Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I visited for afternoon tea the other day, this was my first visit to Mar hall. Upon entering Mar hall, we were asked to head through to the Great Hall. When we entered the great hall, my friend and I had to stand around waiting on a member of staff to approach us, this was rather awkward, as the receptionist had said he would phone through to let the staff member know we were here. After some waiting, we were taken to our seats. Rather disappointed with the seating, a coffee table, and a low sofa did not make for a comfortable dining experience. Yes this is the design etc. but it's simply not practical or enjoyable. As soon as we reached our table, we were asked if we wanted tea or coffee, this was promptly brought to the table. Sadly by the time the afternoon tea stand arrived the tea was luke warm, and we had to order another pot of tea. I can't fault the cakes/sandwiches etc. they were delicious and compliments to the chef, first class quality, taste and variety. It would be much more enjoyable if tea and cakes were served together, also if the tea pot was warmed prior. Also the second pot of tea got cold very quickly too. Disappointed with the cups and saucers which were poor quality, with no finesse and more suited to a school canteen. Also no variety of teas/coffees on offer, just the basics which I thought was unusual for a five star establishment. The gentleman at reception was very welcoming, however the girl who was waiting, was very clearly going through the motions until finishing time. Overall lovely food, but no soul in the overall experience, and would not rush to return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ann1830

Thank you for providing a review of your Afternoon Tea experience with us here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. I am delighted to read that you found the cuisine to be first class quality. We have taken on board your comments about warming the tea pot prior to serving, and apologise that your tea went cold quickly. I have also noted your disappointment with the type of crockery we used to serve your tea, and your comment about the lack of variety of tea and coffee available. These are issues which we will discuss at our next meeting.

On the whole it sounds like you received great service from our team of staff, who endeavour to provide every guest with the highest possible standards in customer service.

I do hope you will return and give us another chance to prove to you our five star merits.

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my fiancé stayed at Mar Hall 2 nights Saturday and Sunday back in November.was greeted on arrival a member of staff who took our bags. The setting is beautiful, great views overlooking the Clyde. We stayed in the basic room but was really nice, and surprisingly spacious, the pictures on website are misleading, I thought rooms looked on the small side. We had dinner at the adjacent Italian and could not fault and price was reasonable. The breakfast is buffet type but very nice.

The spa is great and I would thoroughly recommend a treatment from there. We both got massages, it was really relaxing.

Only down side is the bar, it's very very quiet. Not much atmosphere. It's like havin a drink in your living room. You were wary of talking as everybody would hear your conversation.

Overall I loved our stay. Went home completely recharged after it. It's pricey but I suppose that's what you pay for great service.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank David Q

I am so pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing stay with us here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. As you said, the views over the River Clyde and Kilpatrick Hills are truly breathtaking!

Next time you visit our spa, I highly recommend you indulge in our Rasul Mud Chamber Experience, which is a sublime treat for couples!

I am sorry to read that you found our bar lacked atmosphere. We endeavour to create an aura of relaxed, peaceful luxury for all guests – we want you to feel at home here.

I hope to welcome you back soon for another relaxing break.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Visited the hotel today for afternoon tea. This was a truly delightful experience served in the stunning grand hall. Service was at a high level with attentive and welcoming staff. The afternoon tea consists of a 3 tier cake stand with 4 triangles of sandwich, scone with clotted cream and jam, tart, walnut loaf, Victoria sponge and 2 small cakes. This is per person and was served with a pot of tea or coffee. Our dining was accompanied with a pianist playing well known musical pieces. This would be a lovely Birthday or other special occasion treat.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AyrshireAyrshireLass
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed with the flash sale deal £195 dinner bed and breakfast. I was Disappinted the mud chamber which was included in the deal was not available. The offer of 50% off certain spa treatments was acceptable but would have preferred the mud chamber. I went swimming and the same as before there was a lack of seating around the pool. I assume they are filled with spa day guests. Could not fault the room or the food. The restaurant got really busy which meant we were sat around longer than I would have liked. There was £47 wrongly added to our bill which thankfully I noticed before I paid. Overall really expensive but a very nice treat.

Room Tip: Room 21 was more like a suite. We were lucky to get this with the flash sale.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you have rated us full marks for cleanliness, location, sleep quality and your bedroom.

I am sorry to read that you found the pool and restaurant to be a bit busy for your liking. Our staff endeavour to provide a prompt and efficient service, and I am pleased that your bill issue was swiftly remedied.

We hope you will take advantage of our next special offer and visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Arrives at the hotel before our check in time of 4 o'clock which is quite late but if this is procedure then so be it. We decide to arrive early and use the spa facilities and get treatments. This experience was excellent and the staff very helpful and pleasant except for the twenty five minute wait for soup at lunch. After this we walked through a freezing corridor to the hotel which when in the hotel grand hall is very nice. We then go to reception and are greeted if you can call it that by a not so welcoming receptionist. After being pointed to our room ( not very five star) we arrive in the room which was very nice. We get ready and head down for our dinner which was lovely and staff very helpful. We go back up to the room and realise it is very warm so open window and put heating off. Before bed close window and climb into possibly the most uncomfortable bed ever. Then continually wake up to the realisation that the heating doesn't turn off. We tell the receptionist our disappointments in the morning to just get it shrugged off. We then go to spa where the spa receptionist is disgusted by our treatment and arranges for us to meet the HOTEL MANAGER who basically tells us that its unlucky our heating didn't go off n closes his book n walks away. Absolutely ridiculous treatment. I would recommend guests use spa facilities but not hotel. There is a cheaper and just as nice but with better customer care hotel not far. The ingliston country club. I've stayed here and would return. Can't say the same about the " five star hotel". Its such a shame the spa staff have to work with these people who don't care for customer satisfaction as much as them.

Chris

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Gtchrisfb
EveInglis, General Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

I am incredibly surprised and disappointed by your comments about Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, and would appreciate the opportunity to follow this up with you properly. We take negative feedback like yours very seriously, and I am keen to speak to you about the issues you experienced.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on 0141 812 9999.

Alexander Vonsusskind

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My hubby booked a night away dinner bed and breakfast for a little break. The Hotel was amazing. The entrance was lovely with a porter to help with the bags, you walked up the red carpet of the stairs into a cosy reception with a roaring fire and very pleasant and helpful staff. The main hall was fabulous with so much character. The room we were given, was beautiful looking over the golf course and the hills. It was stunning, the room was decorated to the highest taste with a huge bathroom. We used the spa facilities in the afternoon, then relaxed after before having dinner in the Italian restaurant.The meal was lovely and the staff too, very cosy restaurant.After diner we went into the main hall where entertainment was a young couple playing the piano and singing.They were great. We sat having a few drinks and enjoying them singing a mix of songs from modern to later music.We really enjoyed our night with a lovely meal and unexpected entertainment.The next morning we went down for the best full Scottish breakfast I've ever had. We both had a lovely time here and would certainly be back.I'm glad a work mate of my husband recommended it, as we now have to other friends.Thanks to all the staff making it a lovely night away.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lynn p

It sounds like you and your husband had a magical time here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resorts. Our stunning grounds combined with our rich history make a visit here truly unforgettable, and we believe that our attentive and friendly staff are just the icing on the cake.

We can’t wait to welcome you back soon for your next relaxing break!

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 2 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#12 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!