“Stunning hotel ,perfect surroundings,excellent food and sevice throughout.”

Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bishopton
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I booked for our first wedding anniversary.After a mistake with our booking we were admirably looked after by Alexander the Manager. We stayed in room 11 which was a Junior suite ,I believe. Magnificently spacious, immaculately clean.Everything in the room looked as if it were just purchased. The food was delicious in the restaurant and the staff were very friendly and attentive without disturbing your evening. The decor of the grand hall and entrance for Christmas was truly beautiful and the views through the windows to the gardens and outside scenery were breathtaking. We had a truly wonderfully romantic experience that we will never forget. Stayed in many five star hotels before but this one retained class without being stuffy or pretentious. We have booked for afternoon tea and intend to return on many occasions.
Thank you to Alexander and all the staff who made this a special memory for us. We couldn't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a suite, it's worth it. Rooms with four -poster bed offer something a little diffe...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Mar Hall really is the perfect romantic getaway – I am thrilled that our team made your first wedding anniversary so special. We pride ourselves on offering all guests a truly personalised service, and really enjoy getting to know you.

We would love to welcome you both back soon for your next luxury retreat!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

What a place.. Had a deluxe room with views over the golf course. The Xmas feeling was fab, the trees and decorations made it feel special as did the piano and singer she was amazing. The food was good but could be better.. Also we had a bottle of white wine and ordered a second to be told they had ran out that's not great or a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

It sounds as if you really enjoyed soaking up the festive atmosphere at Mar Hall! The interiors are even more stunning than usual when all decked out for Christmas, and I am pleased you enjoyed listening to our supremely talented pianist and singer in the Grand Hall during your meal. I apologise that we were short on the wine you requested – at this time of year, we endeavour to ensure that we have plentiful supplies of everything, but it can be difficult to predict which bottles will be popular.

We hope you will join us for another relaxing break soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed two nights on classic britain offer which was really good value may have been bit disapointed if we had been on full rate. Standard room was large with seperate shower & bath wrong side of hotel to get lovely view over river to hills beyond but spotlessly clean with nice touchs like chocs left on bed with turn down service.
Dinner in main dinning room was really nice apart from slight lack of veg with mains seems to be bit of trend with this sort of hotel also wine prices were bit eyewatering but that said staff service and food was top drawer. The highlight of our stay was girl singer pianist in grand hall on fri night best singer i have heard for a long time.
Also used spa for treatment which was very good value on winter warmer offer nice pool and sauna as well. Played one round golf course not at its best due to amount of rain but was open on proper greens when all around were shut or on temps nice easy walking no big hills no real stand out holes guess be nicer on sunny summer day overall nice hotel if you can drop on good deal

• Stayed: January 2013

I am so pleased to see that you took the opportunity to play a bit of golf on our 18-hole championship course and visit our Decleor Spa during your stay with us. What a pity that you had to put up with the typical Scottish weather!

We hope to welcome you back for a sunnier visit soon!

Mar Hall Guest Relations

Reviewed January 4, 2013

A very relaxing 2 night stay. Excellent surroundings and a comfortable welcoming experience. Staff were all extremely polite, helpful and eager to please. Food was superb and breakfast was relaxed and very good. 5 star but in no way stuffy or pretentious. will definately be back for a relaxing break and pampering

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Sounds like we ticked all the boxes here – I am delighted! Our wonderful Executive Chef, Eric Avenie puts a great deal of thought into our cuisine, and it’s great that you appreciated his effort and imagination.

Next time I recommend you book yourself in for some relaxing treatments in our state-of-the-art Decleor Spa – The Rasul Mud Chamber experience is a sublime treat for couples!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Hotel fantastic, room amazing, we stayed in a Junior Suite and deal was exceptional however we did have issues with the bill for dinner, which I may add was quickly rectified, however surely staff should have know which package we had? Again used spa, did not get treatment we were told we had, complimentary treatment also on bill so again had to get this appropriately updated. It would not put me off using the hotel however maybe a bit more pre checks required before billing clients to save the clients embarrassment at questioning items showing on bills.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Visited the Spa in early January 2013 and had afternoon tea at Mar Hall. Although a beautiful hotel in wonderful setting, I feel that it lacked the extra special 'niceties' that I would expect with a 5 star hotel. No one there to greet us on arrival, tho we could see 2 porters at the top of the stairs. They both watched me struggle up the stairs with my Mum's zimmer and cushion while my husband helped my Mum. No offer to help - tho they did say 'Hello' when I got to the top!!

Spa receptionists were nice, but other staff in the spa ranged from not fantastic to down right rude. We were directed to the changing rooms, but not told where anything else was. Wandered about to find where we should be - looking quite obviously lost and were completely ignored by 3 staff members, stood for ages while 3 members of staff complained about some internal problem with staffing, got drawn nasty looks by the woman at the pool area etc. Treatment was over 15 minutes late and not a patch on similar treatments I have had in other spas. Discovered at the end of the day that there was a lovely relaxation area that we didn't know was there and it was too late to use it by that time. None of it was a big deal....but all combined it made for a disappointing experience - certainly not 5 star.

It was all capped off as we were leaving - getting in the lift, a member of staff (she looked quite senior - in a black suit) barged past us into the lift as it arrived - stepping on my toe as she did it! All she said was 'oh!' and looked at me as if was in her way! No sorry or anything. I was completely incredulous!

On the up side, the hotel is beautiful and the afternoon tea was lovely. The staff in the Grand Hall were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JMacc

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your experience at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. I am unpleasantly surprised to read about your encounters with some of our personnel, particularly our porters and spa staff. Many guests make a point of praising us for our friendly and attentive staff, and reading about your experience is just so disappointing. I apologise that you did not feel you received five star service, and this is something I will be discussing with internal management at our monthly review. It is so important to us that our staff provide each guest with the very best customer service experience.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea – makes a lovely New Year’s treat! And it’s wonderful to read that the staff in the Grand Hall were smiley and attentive.

I do hope you will come back and give us the chance to prove to you our five star merits.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Had a great meal at Mar Hall, magical setting fine meal. Just the service a wee bit stuttery at times, slow at the start but imnproved slighty to average. Just a wee bit more work here to make it a wow experience.
Servers didn't know the menu, what came with what and were slow on sitting at the table before orders were taken and drinks ordered... But hey the staff are probably tired particulary at this time during the festivities... Nearly there..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your constructive review. I am delighted to read that you were impressed by our charming estate and hand-crafted cuisine. I am surprised to read that you felt service was not quite up to scratch – our waiting team are trained to be attentive and efficient, and I apologise that you felt they lacked a certain ‘wow’ factor. As you said, this time of year is particularly hectic. However we want guests to experience the five star service we know we can deliver at all times. I have fed back to our Restaurant Management, who will take steps to ensure that special spark is once again ever-present in our waiting service.

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 2 in Bishopton
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#12 of 93 in Glasgow

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!