“A special break”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bishopton
London, United Kingdom
“A special break”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Mar Hall overnight and I used the spa for a massage the following morning. The location is great, so close to the city yet you get a sense of the Scottish country side. First impressions are fantastic, the reception staff were welcoming and very helpful although they do give you a wealthy of info on meal times, directions etc that we didn't take in at the time!

The bedroom was large with a huge comfy bed and beautiful bathroom and it was a really peaceful place and a welcome luxurious break.

Just some minor niggles which if addressed would make it near perfect - such as there being nowhere other than a tiny shelf in the bathroom to put toiletries and makeup, the 'desk' in the bedroom had no suitable light for make-up, the TV was in a nice cabinet with a pull out shelf but its position made it hard to see from the bed, 2 arm chairs very comfy but no table to put drinks on. So great first impressions, very comfy but not fully practical. I'd prefer feather pillows or at least the option of these.

We had dinner in the small restaurant, there was a large function on and I think we suffered slightly on service because of it (I'd like to think it isn't normally that slow - 20 mins for drinks to arrive). In the main the food was good, we complained about the venison which wasn't nice and they took it off the bill with no fuss and profuse apologies. The restaurant manager was friendly and attentive. Desserts were amazing!

The spa staff were very friendly and made me feel comfortable and welcome and I had a fantastic massage, facial and head massage, as it was an early appointment I had breakfast delivered to the room which was prompt and very nice, husband had breakfast in the restaurant and said it was excellent.

On departure they messed up the billing arrangements my son had made which meant we had to pay and sort it out when we got home. Turned out he had also asked for a bottle of champagne to be brought to us at dinner which didn't happen. My son has since contacted them to let them know and I have been offered a free afternoon tea with a friend (I hope it is better than the reviews of them I've read here!) which I shall take up in the next few weeks and review separately.

I fully recommend Mar Hall for a luxury break, even with the few niggles, the 24hrs seemed like a whole weekend of relaxation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review about your stay with us here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort – we always appreciate detailed feedback.

We really are fortunate to be able to offer guests such a stunning estate, immersed in historic charm. Our conscientious team strive to provide each guest with the very best customer service experience, so I am pleased to read that you found our reception staff helpful, and the Restaurant Manager attentive.

It is wonderful to read that you took the opportunity to experience the relaxing solace of our Decleor Spa – the massage treatments really are a divine treat!

I apologise about the payment issues you experienced at check out. Unfortunately, errors can take place, and our Customer Service team will always do their utmost to resolve them quickly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for afternoon tea!

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were there on an Itison deal. When we arrived we saw the menu at the front door and were really looking forward to dinner. When we got to the restraurant in the evening we were given another menu which only had 2 courses on it. We were told we could have monkfish which had a £5 supplement and then we had to pay extra if we wanted dessert. Had we realised we would have asked for the menu which we had seen on arrival and paid the extra, which would be about the same as we ended up paying, but we would have had a better meal.
The room was huge as was the bathroom and the shower was the biggest I have ever had in any hotel. However the toilet felt like it might part company from the wall - a little disconcerting!
When the heating came on it sounded like there was a bath filling in the room. We were told that this would stop when the heating came up to temperature, but unfortunately it woke us up the following morning very early.
The pillows were very hard.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly, but I really felt it did not have the WOW factor I had been anticipating.

Room Tip: We had room 2 and the views were magificent, however there was the radiator noise to contend with.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your comments about your stay here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort. I am delighted to read that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. Our conscientious team strive to provide each guest with the very best customer service experience, and always appreciate positive feedback, so I will pass on your words of praise.

I am sorry that you experienced a bit of confusion regarding menu choices in the restaurant. We do sometimes put on alternative menus for guests who have taken advantage of online deals to visit us. Terms and conditions should be contained within the detail of your specific offer. However, had you asked for the menu you wanted, our waiting team would have been more than happy to oblige.

We are fortunate to be able to offer guests such spacious and airy rooms. All our rooms and suites are individually designed, meaning that no guest has the same experience.

I am so sorry to read that the noise of the radiator disturbed the tranquillity of your stay, as most guests do not find it to be a significant disturbance. I have passed your comments to our Senior Management Team, who will look into the issue.

Most guests find our pillows blissfully comfortable, so I apologise that this was not the case for you. Had you voiced your concerns, our housekeeping team would have been happy to provide alternative pillows to ensure a comfortable night’s sleep for yourself and your friends.
I am delighted to read that you appreciated the magnificent views of the River Clyde and Kilpatrick Hills. It is a vista that still takes my breath away on a day to day basis
We hope you will come back and give us the opportunity to show you that Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort really does have the WOW factor.

Scotland
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Went to Mar Hall for afternoon tea with my work colleagues today and we were so very disappointed, especially as we had been before (albeit three years ago) and loved it. The sandwiches were pathetic - like the worst in conference lunch sarnies - basic sliced bread as if someone had nipped to the local shop for a Warburtons loaf, some of them were already on the dry side so we wondered if they were left over from a previously served plate! The fish was tinned tuna - no smoked salmon which is a pretty basic afternoon tea staple and we are in Scotland, after all! We ordered a range of teas to each be presented with one tea bag on which to pour hot water, unless ordinary tea was ordered, which came in a pot. Cakes faired slightly better, but just not good enough, Mar Hall - there are lots of places on the afternoon tea circuit now and at £20 a head you need to pull up your socks - complacent and sloppy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SueFromGlasgow
What a disappointing review. I am so sorry to read that you did not feel the cuisine was up to scratch at Afternoon Tea.

I can assure you that sandwiches and cakes are prepared fresh onsite, and our selection of Scottish cakes and scones offered for Afternoon Tea are home-baked. Our waiting staff would have been more than happy to bring you a wider selection of teas, had you asked. I apologise that you feel we did not deliver on this front.

Feedback such as yours is invaluable in us making positive changes, so thank you for sharing with us.

glasgow
Reviewed October 20, 2012

From the first this hotel was excellent. Andy in Reservations was warm, helpful and quite frankly set the tone for the whole stay. Ann in reception followed up with a fantastic welcome and the stay just got better and better. Beautiful room, fantastic meal, lovely french martini.
I am a self confessed 'fusspot' and this place won me over. Wonderful. I'll be back and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: room 24 was absolutely beautiful! Four poster bed and fireplace. So romantic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
EveInglis, Manager at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am delighted to read that we succeeded in winning you over! Andy and Ann will be over the moon with your kind words, I will be sure to pass them on. The whole team here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa resort strives to offer our guests outstanding levels of customer service, and take pride in really engaging with our guests’ needs.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay in room 24 – all our rooms and suites are individually designed, leaving guests spoilt for choice.

We hope to welcome you back for your next romantic retreat soon!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We came to this truly breathtaking hotel for a family wedding in September and stayed for two nights.

On arrival, the hotel porters immediately helped us unload our cars and carried them to our rooms after we had checked in. This great service was maintained throughout our stay until the second we had left.

After showing me to my room, the hotel porter showed me a secret, quicker route to the room via the main entrance (something that kept us entertained for the entirety of our stay).

Once I had settled into the room, which was spectacular, I decided to go for a walk around the grounds. The views were incredible and the fresh air was... well, refreshing. I spent a solid 1 hours taking in the scenery before I was joined by my family on the terrace of the italian restaurant, carrying a complimentary bottle of champagne. A simple but nice gesture from the Hotel.

We then made our way back inside for an unplanned family meal, but due to the lack of notice and the amount of people in our party, we couldn't book a table in the main restaurant or the italian. However, the staff were very helpful and understanding, and decided to set us up in the Great hall for dinner. A very grand, yet intimate experience.

The day of the wedding was great. We all met for breakfast in the Cristal Restaurant, and the food was good. Standard breakfast buffet, but still good, fresh food. We then went off to get ready whilst the staff transformed the room ready for the ceremony. The ceremony ran smoothly and without a hitch, and after, we were greeted with drinks and canapes by the staff in the great hall.

The reception was held in the purpose built marquee near the entrance of the grounds. The reception was a blast (from what i can remember). And all in all rounded off a great weekend of events.

The following morning, after we all had crawled out of our rooms, we met for one last breakfast, which was as perfect as the day before, to say our goodbyes. The porters took our bags from our rooms, and loaded them back into our car. And we left.

So to summarise,
The Hotel - Outstanding!
The Views - Outstanding!
The Rooms - Outstanding!
The Facilities - Outstanding!
The Price - well a bit steep, but for the amount you get, worth every penny!
The Staff - the icing on the cake - Outstanding!

All in all - OUTSTANDING! Highly recommend!

1 Thank Mr_S_Srao
Wow, what a review! I am thrilled to read such glowing feedback. Your comments tick all the boxes – we endeavour to add personalised touches of luxury to make your stay that bit more exceptional, so I am pleased that you tucked into the complimentary champagne we gave you!

I’m so glad that our team here at Mar Hall delivered a perfect day for your bride and groom. I’ll pass on your lovely comments regarding service to our staff, who always love to hear such excellent guest feedback. We are very lucky to be able to offer such a breath-taking venue for weddings, and it was a real pleasure to read that you enjoyed our cuisine and charming rooms.

Our wedding marquee is a permanent feature on the idyllic grounds of Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort – making it of much higher quality, with a beautiful view across the river and the valley. I really hope you and your guests enjoyed the floor to ceiling windows and the decking overlooking the river scenes.

I hope to welcome you back to Mar Hall soon, maybe for some relaxation on the golf course or in our stunning spa!

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I loved the location and relaxed atmosphere.Found the staff very friendly and welcoming.My only complaint was the zip up matress

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay which was last min.Will def be back and spent more time enjoying the beautiful surrounding and relaxing atmosphere of the hotel.Staff were most helpful and unobtrusive.Breakfast was one of the best i have experienced and staff again were delightful was very impressed and would def repeat experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. The views from Mar Hall over the Kilpatrick Hills and the River Clyde are truly spectacular, and I am pleased that you appreciated the tranquility of our estate – it really is such a special location.

The staff will be delighted with your kind comments – the whole team works so hard to provide our guests with the very best customer service experience.

The team here at Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Mar Hall Guest Relations Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishopton
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
City Centre
Blythswood Square
Blythswood Square
#13 of 93 in Glasgow
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!