“Great night out”

The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Renfrew
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Booked last minute for the dinner/dance/room package at the Glynnhill. At £130 for 2 people - 4 course meal, live entertainment, bed, breakfast and use of the leisure facilities it is really good value. The rooms are fine, not amazing but clean, well equipped (hairdryer, iron, ketle) and comfortable beds. They could do with a bit of sprucing up and a few design details but they are fine for an overnight stay. The bathrooms are nice, again really clean and with plenty of little extras - glasses, shower gel, soap etc. The staff are very pleasant and professional in reception and at breakfast. We visited Harry's Bar for a drink and snack in the afternoon and while it is not the best décor the staff are great and the food & drinks good and reasonably priced. The leisure facilities are ok, the pool area is nice however the gym and changing areas are ok, not great.

The function at night was in a large room with some effort to decorate the place. There had been thought into where you were sat - couples set together. The waiting staff were pretty young but really good, although one seemed a wee bit 'authoritarian' - a young girl stomped over to demand our small bottle of diet lemonade - we refused as they do not sell it in the hotel. I offered to let her taste it to confirm it was not alcohol but she declined. Her overall manner indicated she may want to think of a non customer facing role for the future. The rest of the staff were great. The menu choices were pretty good, it was served at reasonable intervals - not too rushed nor too slow. The food quality and quantity was fine, all tasty and generous portions. My one gripe is they do not properly label the menu for allergies and as a result I had dishes containing ingredients I am allergic to, fortunately I had medication in my room and managed to recover after an hour or so. The vegetarian options are very dairy orientated - something they may want to consider in future menu planning.

Overall it was a good night, the entertainment and general atmosphere was pretty good with people of all ages up dancing 'til the wee hours. Recommended!

Room Tip: Some rooms have been refurbished. You can upgrade for a small fee.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJBFalkirk
Tom S, Manager at The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your recent Review after staying with us. I am glad you had a great night with us and appreciate all the feedback given, I have already discussed with our head chef the possibility of more labelling on our menus so guests can indeed see clearly what a dish contains.

We look forward in welcoming you back at some point in the near future.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I travel to Glasgow weekly and work near the airport. After staying at various chain and local hotels I found my way to the Glynhill. It's has a slightly odd layout with the building itself being at least 5 times wider than it is deep and this can lead to Vegas style walks along never ending corridors but it's been my choice for over 6 months now and don't see that changing.

The staff are super friendly and location wise it is excellent for the airport, M8 and Braehead shopping centre. There is plenty of choice for food with 3 restaurants and the breakfast is of a decent quality and variety. I've not tried the pool but the gym is in need of some investment as one treadmill has been out of action for a couple of months, but it serves a purpose.

The rooms are of varying standard which goes with the hotel clearly growing over the years and the wifi is free but patchy and incredibly dependent on room location.

I feel I've been quite critical but it's definitely worth staying here because of the fantastic staff.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room that does not face onto the main road. It's not noisy but the fluorescent...
1  Thank Paddi110
Tom S, Manager at The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review which is very much appreciated. If their is anything we can do to make your stays with us more comfortable please let us know.

I apologise for the drop in our wifi connections through the hotel, we have recently updated our Front Office Systems which has effected our wifi coverage, we hope to have this back to normal very soon. We have ordered two new treadmills for our Leisure Club gymnasium with more upgrades on the way as the year progresses.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Glynhill.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Having read some of the negative reviews regarding the Glynhill lately I felt it only right I shared my own positive experience of the hotel with those reading the reviews.
Having to be away from home on a week to week basis with work, I have found that the Glynhill is the most accommodating hotel in the area in terms of offering the hospitality and comfort you miss while being away from home. Front of house staff are always polite, smiley and happy to ensure you enjoy a comfortable stay while at the Glynhill.
Waiting and bar staff in the restaurant are always happy to tailor to your own personal taste should the menu not be to your own liking, I have tried pretty much all the chefs have to offer and there is very little I would not recommend, though this is only down to personal taste.
The rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious and the room rates depending on which wing of the hotel you are staying (one side is newer than the other) are reasonable and include a good variety of cooked or continental breakfast as part of the rate. Yes there are certain parts of the hotel which are in need of updating. You only have to look around the reception area to see the future plans the family who own the hotel have started work on, currently being the terraced area at the front of the hotel which will prove a big hit in the summer months.
In all the hotel offers a home from home experience you do not get with other hotels in the area. Nothing ever seems to be too much for the staff to ensure your stay is enjoyable. Some negative comments regarding the alcohol incident at reception paint it in a negative light. You need to remember the lady in question is responsible for the licence and the safety of the guests while they are in the hotel.
My own experience of tribute nights at other hotels have always been put in a room next to those who want to carry the party on after the night has ended. The owners merely want to ensure this is not how guests remember their own experience as being.
Keep up the good works guys and I look forward to bring my own family here in the coming months to share the hospitality I am shown on a week to week basis.

Room Tip: Ask if you can be upgraded to a club room.
1  Thank Daniel K
Tom S, Manager at The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for the positive and honest feedback from your time spent with us at the hotel. I am glad you feel the hotel is like a home from home, we try and ensure a friendly positive attitude with all our guests, hospitality and guest comfort is of utmost importance to us. Should their be anything you require to make your stay any more comfortable, please ask any member of our team or speak with me direct during your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

staying here will be a great experience. Was due to stay for 2 nights for business this week and had to cancel at short notice due to illness. Reservations team (who were extremely polite and friendly on booking) were very understanding and accommodating with my cancellation. The personal touch really does make a difference and I look forward to staying at the Glynhill in June when I am over for business again.

1  Thank Goreygal
Tom S, Manager at The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments, I will pass these on to our Reservations Staff who dealt with you.

We sincerely hope you get well soon and look forward in welcoming you in June.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Booked a Dirty Dancing tribute night for myself and 7 others, initial problems regarding to availability of rooms caused us to have to wait in the reception area while this was looked into. In the time that we were waiting, our bags were beside us, we were approached by what i can only describe as judgmental interfering woman, who proceeded to ask who's bags these were and then continue to rifle through our bags to find 2 bottles of vodka and 2 boxes of beer, shouting about how this was not the kind of establishment to condone "binge drinking" bearing in mind the beverages she pointed out was between 8 people. I was thoroughly embarrassed and disgusted at the professionalism promoted by someone who is suppose to advocate the highest level in customer service within an "establishment"! I will be emailing a complaint and would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or family.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Steven C

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your in depth critique of our facilities which as you mention, “seem to slate everything”. TripAdvisor is indeed an open forum where opinions are expressed by unsatisfied and satisfied customers, it is unfortunate your review falls into the “unsatisfied” bracket.

When the Licensing Scotland Act 2005 was introduced it compelled all Licensed Premises to ensure that alcohol was sold in a responsible manner with five main objectives, Preventing Crime & Disorder, Securing Public Safety, Preventing Public Nuisance, Improving Public Health and Protecting Children from Harm. As a Responsible business the Hotel ensures that All Guests staying in the hotel are compelled to adhere to the same law and rules. Hotels are Licensed Premises and in no way object to anyone bringing in an odd bottle of wine to have in their room to have whilst getting ready for dinner, what we do have issue with is Groups coming to stay who believe it is acceptable to set up the equivalent of a private bar in their room, this does cause a “public nuisance” with excess noise annoying other guests. The Reason Hotels have Licensed Bars and Entertainment areas are so that guests have a safe, secure environment to purchase and consume alcohol in an enjoyable fashion, the confines of hotel bedrooms do not allow the same safety aspect and we do not condone this behaviour and lack of respect to other guests.

Terms and conditions in our Tribute and Events programme clearly state the rules and regulations for bedrooms, function suites and bars in compliance of the five licensing objectives as set out by the Licensing Scotland Act 2005

Hotelier's Tip - Do not bring alcohol into licensed premises

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed at the Glynhill on the 25th April for Dirty Dancing Tribute night after having been previously for a hen party & having a thoroughly enjoyable night. This night however was tainted from the minute we stepped into the main foyer to check in, we were 'greeted' by the most unprofessional 'managing director' i have ever had the displeasure of meeting in my life! There were 8 of us in total, booked into 4 rooms (2 doubles, 2 singles) only double rooms available so the twins were upgraded to club rooms (great) no bother with that, checking in took longer than normal as the 'system' changed our booking name resulting in rooms being lost etc, etc. reception girls were lovely, very welcoming & professional, however as we were checking in, a woman came over to our party of friends (4 females, 4 males) screeching at the top of her lungs asking who all the alcohol belonged to (2 bottles of vodka & 2 packs of 12 budweisers) & what it was doing in her hotel, she then proceeded to 'riffle' through our carrier bags exclaiming how "this hotel does not condone binge drinking" & "this amount of alcohol is disgusting, this is not the establishment for your sort" bearing in mind this is at the reception area of a busy hotel, she then went on to introduce herself as 'the director' of the hotel & pointed out to the security man that we had 'excessive amounts of alcohol' with us, the security man spoke into his walkie talkie telling someone "we have a problem at reception" I would like to point out that our party are all respectable citizens with respectable jobs & some of us married with kids so being discriminated like this in such a rude manner in public was completely pre-judgemental, all the while this 'director' was screaming at us we politely apologised (through sheer embarrasment) & told her we would put some alcohol back in the car, eventually she took this in & told us "this hotel isn't that expensive, for the sake of a tenner at the bar we could have avoided all of this" so she clearly contradicted herself on the binge drinking issue (it's ok if it's at the bar?!?) After taking some of the alcohol out to the car we were allowed our room keys & could leave the embarrassing situation without anymore harrassment or intimidation. Our (upgraded) room was actually really nice, the only fault being a beer bottle lid under the bed from a previous guest (minor compared to the horrendous check-in process) the dinner & tribute act were average & luckily the bar staff did not mind 'binge drinking' as they were more than happy to continue to ask us every 10 minutes or so if we would like anymore drinks!! Considering the pre-judged attitude that we encoutered nearly every table at the tribute night was covered in alcoholic drinks!! When the night ended we decided to go back to 1 room & finish off our beers, we noticed a few other guests were also doing this but as we turned onto our corridor there was a security guard standing there who told us we "better keep the noise down or we would be sent to our own rooms" there was no warning to the hen party who far more rowdy than us but we accepted the warning & kept the noise down only for the security to knock on the door 10 mins later to tell us we were too noisy!! We decided to retire to our own rooms as we were clearly being targeted due to the check-in escapade! Breakfast in the morning was lovely as usual & leisure facilities very average, maybe the changing rooms could be a bit more discreet for modesty but all in all not too bad. The whole stay was tainted by our 'welcome' though. The director could have beem so much more proffessional & pulled us aside instead of belitteling us in front of other guests. I can only guess that because of our age she judged us to be alcoholic louts! Such a shame as i will not be recommending the Glynhill to anyone & will be taking my custom elsewhere!

• Stayed: April 2014
7  Thank Debbs7785
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We booked the hotel and Dirty Dancing tribute, we booked 4 rooms, 2 months in advance for my friends birthday night, when we arrived at the hotel to check-in it turned out that only 1 room had been reserved despite deposits having been took for the rooms, we then turn around to see some random woman prowling through our bags, we had taken a case of beer and some vodka to drink in our room as there was 8 of us in total, this woman then introduced herself as Maroulla [--] the Managing Director of the hotel who then in front of staff and customers in the busy main hall at the reception be-littled and embarrased us by saying that the amount of alcohol we had was disgusting and that we where BINGE drinkers and that her hotel doesn't condone binge drinking, for the sake of spending an extra £10 at the bar and that maybe this is not the type of establishment for your kind, i dont know what she was insinuating by "Your Kind" was it the fact that there was 3 gay people in the party or my asian friend who knows, we then told her that we would put the alcohol back into our cars once we had checked in she then still continued to repeat hersel and stood with another manager behind our backs and spoke about us like we werent even there, i couldnt even answer this woman back i was gobsmacked. we would have left there and then if we hadnt already paid deposits. we finally got our rooms which were in the opposite side of the hotel from each other. my room was a club room which to me was just an ordinary room nothing special, the side of the window pane was green with moss and our blind was screwed through the material into the wood of the window there was litter from the last guests under the bed and the toilet bowl was marked with feces. my friend had a standard room which i can only describe as a portakabin on the roof facing directly onto a wall which again was top to bottom green with moss, the room was filthy and the bathroom shelf and window ledge was thick with dust and again the window pane was wet in the middle of the panes and mouldy, in the corridor there was a water bottle with urine in it sitting in the window ledge, i noticed this on Friday and it was still there Saturday morning before i checked out, the Spa area was a joke, communal changin area and the floor was absolutley soaked and the steam room could have been doing with a clean also, there was fire extinguishers holding open fire doors and getting used as hangers to dry cloths, we went to the tribute act that night i can only describe this as bad karaoke, the meal was pityful, very small portions and didnt taste good, the prices at the bar are absolutley ridiculous, £47 for a 70cl of Smirnoff, £24 for 8 bottles of Budweiser, 1 member of staff in particular couldnt have been less helpful i felt as though we where hasseling her when asking for tableservice rolling her eyes at us. i know this review looks as though iam slating everything but this was our experiance at this hotel, i would never set foot in this hotel again if i didnt have to go to my other friends wedding soon.

Also someone had been in our room when we where at the bar as our radiator had been switched off, i put the radiator on in the toilet to dry our shorts after the pool.

i dont know what type of establishment Maroulla [--] thinks she running, but she has serious Delusion of Grandeur. never in a million years is this hotel 4 Star. i'd give it 3 Stars at a push, ive had a better night in the Etap.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank david r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Renfrew
Normandy Hotel
#3 of 3 in Renfrew
Anderston
Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
#45 of 93 in Glasgow

Been to The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!