“A Disaster!!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Renfrew
Lochinver, United Kingdom
“A Disaster!!!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I arrived at the hotel on Friday evening and on entering my room I immediatley noticed that the carpet had not been hoovered.I left to return to see my husband who was admitted to a near by hospital and said at reception about the room not been hoovered where the girl said it would be seen to immediatley.On my return later on no hoovering had been done but as I was feeling tired after my 6 hour journey I decided to leave it until the morning. Again on leaving the hotel in the morning I said to reception about the room and again was assured that it would be taken care of. I returned late that night after been at the hospital for 12 hours to find not only had my room not been hoovered but my breakfast tray was still in the room i immediatley went down stairs to reception where i was told by the girl on reception that she was sorry! i went to reply and this woman standing at reception asked me what was wrong to which I asked her who she was and she said she worked in the hotel so i preceeded to tell her and immediatley she said to this other women who was passing her on the stairs could she go and pick up the tray from my room and hoover it (may I add this is at 1130 in the evening) the woman came with me and picked up the tray but as we talked it was clear to me she was'nt keen to go and get the hoover to do the room so as I was so tired I said to her as long as she made sure it was hoovered in the morning which she did reassure me of- off to bed I went. I left the hotel the next morning confident I would be coming back to a hoovered room WELL how wrong was i?????? I sat on the bed and thought how difficult is it to hoover a room. Looking round the room at this point I could see that not much cleaning had been done and what with me concentrating so much on the carpet I did'nt see the drink stains down the side of the chest of drawer and I forgot to mention that the ben linen had two holes in it!!! I must add that the three times I did complain about the room not been hoovered the girls at reception did say all I had to do was phone down throught the night which made me begin to think that the house keepers where hoover weelding vampires who only prayed on peoples carpets at night!!!!!! Could I write a horror book on this hotel which could then be turned into a horror film I think I could!! Will not be returning to this hotel and if I ever did would have a hoover in my case- no doubt about that!I would like to take umbridge with the Transalvanian tourist board whom I can only assume were the body responsible for awarding this hotel 4 stars!!!!!This hotel is at best 2 star!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Fiona T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
scotland
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My partner and I had a enjoyable stay at the Glynhill with 14 friends. We booked for the Saturday entertainment night which included a 4 course meal. The function suite was fully booked which resulted in our table of 16 being quite cramped which left not much room to manoeuvre. It was also very warm and would benefit from some air con. The meal was very tasty and there was a good selection of dishes to choose from. The staff were very pleasant and attentive and worked very hard. Our bedroom on the second floor was spotless and very comfortable. Tea and coffee were provided and there was also a TV. The room would have benefitted from having a mirror above the dressing table. The leisure facilities were very good and the swimming pool looked very inviting. Buffet breakfast was served until 10.30am on Sunday and was delicious with plenty of choice. All in all a lovely hotel with pleasant friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This hotel was nice and I thought that the room rate was good for what we got, less expensive hotels can be found in the area (around Glasgow airport). Although the room was quite small, it was comfortable and modern; the same applied to the bathroom. Full breakfast was included in the rate and it was very good, with a great selection and everything I tasted good, they also offer free wi-fi. The hotel also offered an indoor pool and a couple of pubs (one right next to the lobby and another one on the corner attached to the building and a couple of restaurant options.

We were staying there as I had organized a family reunion, so there were quite a few of us staying at the hotel. They arranged a large meeting room for us to get together right before dinner and it was very nice, there were just over 50 of us, then we joined their dinner dance (which takes place on the Saturday nights), the music was ok (VERY loud, I asked the band to turn it down but they didn’t, at times we could barely hear each other so it was hard to carry on a conversation). On the other hand, dinner was delicious, the food was really and the staff that assisted us was great as well!

I dealt with one of their sales rep and she was a sweetheart, but seemed VERY confused and disorganized. We had been dealing via email for months and sometimes I had a hard time getting a clear answer from her. The day before the reunion when we sat down to go over the final details that we had already agreed on, she tells me something different…I was not happy! Then, the next day (day of the reunion) she tells me that she had it all coordinated with the manager who was going to be on duty that day, I met him in the afternoon and it was all good. Then, at night there was another manager and he tells me something different, this was in regards to how the guests were going to pay for the dinner dance, it was supposed to be included with the hotel rate from the very beginning, but then they said no the day of, then they said yes to what we had originally agreed. Then, the waiter staff was going to collect it from the guests who weren’t staying at the hotel, then they wanted me to collect it and I said no because it was not our agreement, at the end they collected it . Anyway, it all worked out at the end and everyone in my family had a great time, but I wish that they had been more organized and avoided me the stress.
I organize events at work and pretty much all of the logistic work via email as well, never had any issue as everything is in writing and clearly described on the messages or electronic pamphlets. Even though I asked for, the Glynhill didn’t have any pamphlets or some kind of file with their events’ guidelines so I received pieces of information at a time. I’m also used to getting some kind of special treatment from the venues I deal with, some kind of appreciation from bringing business to them and, not that expect these things, they just do it as it seems a common practice in North America. I know that things are different in Europe (other cultures in general) and I was also not expecting anything from the Glynhill, which was good because I didn’t get anything.

Overall, I would stay there again and recommend it as a hotel but I would not use them as a venue to host an event again. All the staff members were very nice, but the ones who I dealt with for the event didn’t seem to communicate with each other or to have the proper training to do their jobs. It’s good to deal with nice people, but at the end an event is a business and needs to be handled that way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VVegas76
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Was somewhat concerned with some of the negative reviews prior to my stay and can only say that this hotel is a really great place to stay. Staff are friendly, accommodation is extremely clean and comfortable.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank selkiesave
Aberdeen
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I was very pleased with my recent stay at the Glynhill. The hotel has a lovely smell through the corridors and in the rooms which is immediately welcoming. The price for an overnight stay was reasonable and the hotel had free wifi. We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel. Staff were very helpful, and for both meals, there was a great selection. Good music playing during dinner too!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Greenock, Scotland
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Glynhill for the Hogmany Ball and the Dinner Dance on the 1st January as we have done for the past few years, we cannot fault the staff or the service and we thoroughly enjoyed both nights, we have no complaints about the food and the breakfast is brilliant , we always book a Club room, it is extra but well worth it, rooms are very modern, clean and bright we have also stayed on several other occasions taking in a Tribute night still no complaints. I would recommend you try an overnight stay in one of the Club rooms I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Irene G
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We as a family went for a 2 night stay for the bells last year and done the same this year, very basic hotel but not bad value for a 2 night package. l would even say the meal was not bad then things started going very wrong, unfortunately we noticed someone trying to steal my sons jacket on 3 occasions and as you are meant to do we informed security g4s (no joke!) who advised they would watch the person to make sure it didnt happen again then l looked up and saw the same person take a purse off our table 20 yards from the same security guard so got up and grabbed the bag back and as you can imagine was very unhappy and made my feelings clear, they then said it was my word against his!!! it was made worse by another person not connected to my party complaining about the same thing and same person and he was told it was being dealt with, l had my 11 year old daughter with me who by this time was very upset and wanted to just leave and go home, l fully expected the police to be called as in my opinion someone going round tables is a very serious matter so we as a family decided to go home and l have since been in to see the hotel manager who advised me they were looking into but they have being avoiding calling me back - STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU ARE SERIOUSLY DESPERATE AS ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY THEY DONT WANT TO KNOW!! l have my own business so take very seriously making the above statement and if any of this is wrong someone from the hotel can please comment as the silence really is deafening.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Wanman999

Travelers are raving about these Renfrew hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Renfrew
Normandy Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport
Ashtree House Hotel
Ashtree House Hotel
#4 of 9 in Paisley

Been to The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!