“Very unimpressed . . .”
Review of Normandy Hotel

Normandy Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Renfrew
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We booked this hotel for an overnight stay after returning from Egypt on holiday along with parking while we where away. When droping the acr off i informed the receptionist that we wouldn't be checking in till the early hours of the morning as our flight didn't get in until 2.40 am i was advised that this would not be a poblem. Well . . .

We arrived at Glasgow aiprort at 3.10 and waited quite a while for our bags, we called the shuttle bus to the hotel who collected us promptly. we arrived at the hotel at 4.10 to be told that they didn't have a room for us after about 20 minutes of the receptionist flapping around. I was less than impressed to say the least after having been up all night and being exhausted from a 6 and a half hour flight.

We were advise that they could give us a room in their sister hotel which was a 10 minute taxi ride away. we waited 30 minutes for the taxi to arrive and had to go through the whole process of checking in etc in the other (horrible) hotel to finally get to bed in a tiny twin room rather than a double at 5.30 - check out was at 11!

We were offered no compensation whatsoever and had to make our way back to the Normandy hotel in the morning to pick up the car.

I will not be staying at this hotel again as this is the last thing you need when returning from holiday - i have used the Holiday inn express at Glasgow airport before and would definately recomend there!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,188)

Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed over for one night and did the whole package.... dinner, bed & breakfast plus parking for 14 nights. The room was very small but not a problem as we were getting up at 3am so didn't really use it for very long, it was very clean and the bed was nice and comfy. The food was amazing. We have stayed over for a night before flying before and the las time we said the food was good and it was still the same this time. We recommend it. Parking always seems an issue! Last year my husband had to walk through a muddy field to get back into hotel and the same when we went to collect the car. This time the muddy field had been surfaced and was much better but when he went to get the car it wasn't in the place the ticket on the key said so he spent about 15 minutes looking for it! Eventually found it and there were no problems, just annoying. I would definately stay here again for a night, wouldn't fancy anymore than that in such a small room though!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karenhutcheson
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We stayed at the Normandy in May 2010 as some of our friends were getting married and I was helping out with the photographs.
The first thing I noticed was how small the rooms were, but it was very clean and had everything we needed.
The staff were very organised and seen to the needs of the arriving guests.
When the ceremony was finished we went outside for some photgraphs and it started raining, so everyone went back inside. I then asked if there was an area set aside for wedding pictures in this situation and although, they made an area available, it wasn't really very nice, just a free space with a large curtain for the backdrop.
However, this was a minor inconvenience.
The room for the meal was lovely and was converted to the party room in good time.
Bar prices are very high, this was a price to pay fopr the nice surrounding I suppose.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark1873
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Stayed for one night following flight back home to Glasgow. Our room was very dirty, stains on carpets, lights with no bulbs. Staff were unhelpful and did nothing to welcome ujs. Hotel in dire need of a makeover. No double glazing, cant sleep for the noise of aircraft overhead.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2010

we use this hotel everytime we fly out from glasgow on holiday, the rooms are small but as we only ever stay one night they are adequate. As part of the deal you get parking for 14days and evening meal in the resturant . i highly recommend the steak, superb. No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2010

16 of us stayed here for a Girls Aloud Tribute Night which turned out to be a great night for all the wrong reasons!

- Rooms were really small with little room to swing a cat - not that we had one to swing but 2 girls getting ready was a nightmare
- We had 5 rooms with a hen night in the surrounding rooms. At the end of the night, the 'hotel mafia' were patrolling the corridors to ensure we were in our own rooms and one of our bags was checked as we explained we were just dropping crisps and nuts next door! I felt like a schoolgirl being told off for wanting to speak to my aunts! (We weren't being noisy, just chatting as we hadn't seen each other in a long time) To be honest, it was over the top and ridiculous!! We were told that there's people going to the airport at 5am which is fair enough but those people were in the bar til 4am!!! youcan't have it both ways Normandy, have party nights for big group but expect us to "ssshhhh..."
- Great atmosphere at the party night though we didn't know who was supposed to be who in Girls Aloud Tribute....except Nicola! Very funny!
- Some good deals on pitcher cocktails and bottles - more reasonable than expected but they do check your bag for booze as you go in :)
- No queue at the bar which was great
- No choice on the menu for dinner, thankfully we didn't have any veggies
- Lovely breakfast

I'm back here for a hen night in July but we're not staying overnight this time. Instead, i we want, we shall go back to one of our houses where we can chat until our heart's content!

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I booked to stay overnight at the Normandy Hotel for a Dirty Dancing Tribute Night. Upon arrival when we located our room we found that the door to the room was left open with a key card lying on the floor at the door entrance; I found this to be a bit odd considering that the key card could have been taken and used to enter our room when we were not in it.
The room was incredibly small with barely any space to move around the double bed. I actually phoned reception to double check that we had been allocated the "signature room" that we had booked (there was in fact a large cardboard cutout in the reception advertising these "signature rooms" - I can assure you that this did not in any way resemble the room we had been given). I also discovered that the divan bed was ripped from one end to the other and resembled something more akin to what you might see in a garbage tip. Much to my horror I then discovered an old dirty sock under the bed covered in dust and soot. The room was very dull, dark and dank so I attempted to turn on the lamps in the room to further investigate and see what other "treasures" I could unearth. I found that there was only one lamp working which had the result that I could barely see anything (perhaps this was for the best considering the state of the room). I then found the headboard to the tattered bed to be covered in a thick layer of dust and soot (and if we all remember that dust is primarily composed of decaying human skin, then you can understand why I began to feel a bit queasy at this point). This was compounded by my discovery of what I can only describe as pubic hair in the bath! I contacted reception and requested to speak to the duty manager so that I could complain about the room conditions and so that he could observe the conditions for himself.
When this delightful chap came up to the room he could not understand why we were complaining. His reply was that he would replace the light bulb and remove the dirty sock but that this was all he could offer. In fact, he couldn't even follow through on this pathetic attempt at customer service as the lightbulb hadn't been changed by the time I checked out. The manner in which he spoke me, a paying customer, was utterly disgraceful and extremely patronising.
I warn anyone who is even considering staying at this "hotel" to give it a wide berth. I am sure that there are cleaner, better maintained, bus shelters than the Normandy. The room was a disgrace; it was dark, dusty, in disrepair and generally quite unhygenic. I will never, ever, stay at any of this group's establishments and will be attempting to get a full refund, however I feel that this is unlikely considering the level of professionalism already exhibited. I wish I could award this a 0 star score. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mamatequilla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Renfrew
The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club
Travelodge Glasgow Airport
Premier Inn Glasgow Airport
Travelodge Glasgow Braehead
Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport
Erskine Bridge Hotel
Erskine Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Erskine

Been to Normandy Hotel? Share your experiences!