Achray House Hotel
$161
$117
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewstaster menuloch earnvenisonlog fireloch viewsmall hoteldining roomwell stocked barlovely hotelbeautiful locationfantastic foodfirst classwine listwarm welcomelocal producerelaxing stayitison deal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Picked the hotel off a search engine and the best thing I have ever found on the internet. Big family weekend with and important event and everything was perfect. Beautiful location - on the first night we watched the dear on the opposite hillside which was stunning. Rooms spacious clean and well equipped and the beds massive and so comfortable. Breakfasts were brilliant, as much or as little as you wanted. The eight of us had already decided on the four course dinner menu having read the reviews and we weren't disappointed. I can honestly say I have never had such a delicious meal - everything about it was good. Portion sizes were excellent but so well balanced that at no time did we feel over faced or over full - perfect. One of the best weekends we've had. Our hosts Jane and Alan worked so had and never stopped and this superb hotel is a credit to them. Thank you both for making our special family visit so perfect.

Room Tip: Lochside view was perfect
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
AlantheTrekker, Owner at Achray House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Thanks for your generous review, and Jane and I are pleased that the weekend worked well for your family event. A particular thank you for the comments on the food.

Looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Lovely hotel with beautiful views. Our rooms were spacious, modern and squeaky clean.The breakfasts were excellent too! Loved the porridge!
All staff were very friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Anne A
AlantheTrekker, Owner at Achray House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Thanks for your kind review, and recommendation.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed here for just one night. Evening meal of chicken and leek pie was delicious. Vegetables just perfect. Scrambled egg with smoked salmon for breakfast. mmmmm. Very efficient hard-working staff. Beautiful location. Only downside was the amount of "travellers" seemingly camped on the lake side. Not good for the hotel business one would have thought.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor or lake view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
AlantheTrekker, Owner at Achray House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thanks for your generous review.

On the camping, it all tends to happen at the other end of the loch from St Fillans, primarily because most of the campers are fisherman, and as all the foreshores in the village of St Fillans are private, and as there is a restriction on fishing from 18:00 to 06:00, most fishermen ignore the village in favour of the open water of the loch towards Lochearnhead.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

The (relatively) new owners have clearly put a lot of time and effort into refreshing what was almost certainly a rather tired establishment. The location is superb, the terrace at the front an excellent place to relax, and the conservatory dining room almost a theatre for eating. The rooms are comfortable.

Constructive (I hope) criticism would be that some of the details are not quite right: for example, in the bathroom of our room there was no sealant along the edges of the basin surround near the bath, letting down the obvious effort to provide an almost boutique hotel effect. The food too is perhaps a bit overambitious, and some of the more complex dishes were not quite delivered at the standard I'd expect. Having said that, it's better to find fault with ambition than lament the lack of it!

My main criticism is perhaps an unusual one: the defensive and rebarbative tone the owner adopts in his response to negative reviews here is worrying, and had I read them before booking, would have quite put me off staying. I hope he reflects on this, most of us are quite capable of reading a negative review and spotting where someone is just having a go over something relatively unimportant - knowing that the staff are able to disagree with a customer politely and move on is more important to me in choosing a hotel than whether one person had a bad meal/bad sleep or not and reading a bad tempered exchange about it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mymster

Well, what an unusual review. As you have taken the time to gives your views on my responses to negative reviews, I will return the compliment, but first, a couple of other comments.

I'm glad our location and the work we have done pleased you. There is sealant around the basin in the room you were in, but to complement the charcoal grey colour of the worktop, it is a thin line of black sealant, so that it blends into the décor.

I suppose I should be happy that the style of our cooking seemed to please you: I just wish you had been more explicit on where the standards fell short: you said nothing when asked if you were happy with the meal, and your review doesn't give me any help here either. Still I'm glad it broadly seemed to please you.

I'm one of the lucky baby boomers that benefited from a free university education, but I'm afraid I still had to resort to the dictionary for the word rebarbative, which in case anyone else has my lack of knowledge means objectionable. If anyone wants to read a rebarbative review, I suggest they try yours of May 16 2011 on a restaurant in Essex. I think for you to call my responses rebarbative is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Incidentally, I see that you rate not only us as three stars for value, but also the few hotels you have stayed at that you describe in the headline of your review as good value, so I will take that as a compliment, as I do the whole review.

You dislike my robust responses, but these are in most cases the result of the rather pathetic nature of those few people who to your face express satisfaction with their stay, then complain about it using anonymity of social media. If social media makes us unable or unwilling to discuss issues face to face when prompted then, grumpy old man as I seem to be, I think we still need to learn a lot about its place in social discourse.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The location is stunning, right on the shore of Loch Earn. The view from our window was just as you imagine Scotland to be, mountains and. Lochs!
Alan is clearly a master chef. The food was a delight and a very varied menu ensured something for every taste.
Service was good and nice to be able to have a friendly chat with the owners over a beer.
Recommended

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johncuk7

Thanks for your generous review. The title succinctly encapsulates what we are trying to achieve at Achray House.