“Absolutely shocking - turned up for 3 night stay and hotel closed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Drummond Hotel

Drummond Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Fillans
Drummond Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 St. Fillans B&B and Inns
Dunbar, Scotland
“Absolutely shocking - turned up for 3 night stay and hotel closed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

Words cannot express our anger about the way we were treated by both Expedia and this Hotel. Turned up on 1st April (and it was no joke believe me!) for a three night stay to find hotel completely closed. We had emailed the hotel about three weeks before to request a loch view and have their confirmation that breakfast was included in the price and they responded more or less right away to say a room with a loch view would be available for us and yes breakfast is included. I can believe they had the audacity to respond to our email when the hotel was actually closed and they never advised us of this. Expedia were no help at all but we did find other accommodation no thanks to anyone but ourselves driving round. Whilst we sat outside on phone to Expedia a car drew up with two males and a female. My husband spoke to them and explained our situation. Turned out they are taking over the hotel in two weeks time. During the conversation the F word was used by these people which is another disgrace if they were looking for us to stay there in the future - I think not. One of the men said dont hold it against us (for the hotel being closed which may not of course have been their fault) and we said we would certainly never consider booking that hotel again under any circumstances - BE WARNED if you have to come from a distance - we travelled 140 miles.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Tennentslager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
CUMBRIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

we have just returned today from the drummond hotel. rooms clean& warm, bedding immaculate, food,service great, hot water ,after reading other reviews ive got to dissagree we had a great time and will be back. yes the hotel is old and dated but it would not look right ultra modern, it is furnished & decorated to match the age of the hotel, ie solid pine in the bedrooms beautiful matching full sets, of furniture, {not the normal fibre board you get in modern hotels] with pristine white bedding & towels. very comfortable beds i slept very well {which is good for me being dissabled] the view from our window was to die for over looking the fabulous loch earn. the owners were great very friendly. nothing to much trouble for them, and fantastic value for money £60 per room per night B&B when you consider what you pay for room only in the modern concreate blocks of two popular hotel chains, and they are not always clean. thank god they are not in highland villages yet, I know where id rather stay. WE did not get a chance to sample the excellent evening menu,ie £8.95 for venison stroginoff, as we joined our family over the loch on the caravan site but going by the menu and prices we wish we could have, if they are the same quality and quantity as the excellent breakfasts the drummond provides then i dont see how any one can complain, and we are retired ex hoteliers with 10 years under our belts, we know you cant please every one all of the time and if there was anything to complain about believe me i would be the first to complain, we spent a very pleasent couple of hours on our first evening with guests from other hotels up the road, so if its that bad how come the guests from the better and more expensive hotels end up coming here in the evenings and saying they wished they had stayed here???

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidaygirlCumbria
East Fife
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

My visit was only a brief stop to get fed and watered in a simple way, being out for a day's motorcycle tour of the area from my home in Fife. I should perhaps add that I'm 58 years old and no youthful tearaway with a noisy bike. I'm a retired professional with a fondness for good manners and pleasant surroundings. On this occasion I didn't really succeed in finding either.

I know the area well but hadn't been to the Drummond for several years. It had changed hands in that time. The change hasn't been an improvement, unfortunately.

Reception was empty and there was an air of general desertedness about the place. After several minutes during which time I wondered if anyone had heard the service-bell's summons, a not terribly clean looking chap (dressed a little like David Jason in Open All Hours) who I took to be a handyman or perhaps a gardener appeared and completely failed to greet me in any sense at all, merely looking askance at me - which I can't say endeared either him or the place to me.

I asked if it would be possible to have some coffee and shortbread or somesuch, and he grudgingly agreed. I tried to avoid thinking along "Fawlty Towers" lines, but rather failed in this.

Than I caught the whiff of alcohol from this gentleman through the reception window, and his manner then made a little more sense.

I said I'd wait in the front glazed entrance hall where a rather grottily scrawled blackboard had some meal descriptions chalked on it.

After a while (I wasn't in a great hurry so the ensuing delay didn't trouble me) a rather weary looking English lady came through with my coffee and scone/butter/jam on a tray. She looked as if she'd done a hard day's work already.

I asked about the hotel's ownership and she said she and her husband had taken it over (I think) two or three years previously. The chap in reception was, it appeared, her husband. He had disappeared again.

From my going in to coming out I saw nobody but these two people. The appearance and atmosphere was not what I'd expected from previous visits during the time of, it transpired, the previous owners.

I should say, despite the comments re appearances etc, my coffee was really quite acceptable and the scone offered was similar. And the charge was just about what would be expected for such basic fare, neither high nor low.

But the air of decrepitude evident in the place would be quite enough to stop me returning there.

A great pity - this place has considerable potential that is being exploited by the owners in no sense whatsoever.

I was glad to leave, which says much when you consider how glad I was to get a chair of any sort to rest on for a short while.

I've read through a few of the reviews on here and have to say I absolutely don't recognise the place described by some of the rosier ones, and accordlingly find I must draw my own conclusions re the likely identity of the writers of such reports. After all, it's unlikely that St Fillans has two identically named Drummond Hotels - yet it seems that there are two entirely different sets of impressions reported by "customers".

I know which ones I believe.

And next time I'm up there, I'll ride on to the next watering stop and give it a try instead.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank KilrymontFife

Travelers are raving about these St. Fillans hotels

West Lothian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

We were booked into a high rated hotel at the end of the village which was supposed to be pet friendly - not the case. We dropped into the Drummond for a coffee/cake and were greeted by the lovely resident retrievers. We decided then that we'd try the food and bar - we ate and drank there, just slept and had breakfast at the hotel we'd booked into. The owners, barman (and his dog!), waitress, locals, were all friendly. The food was very nice, good portions, reasonably priced as was the drink. We were made to feel very welcome - including our dog. The owners don't claim it to be anything other than it is - friendly, value for money, comfortable. While in the bar we met fellow guests from our hotel who had the same thoughts as us, and also enjoyed the Drummond hospitality.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

Lovely location and most of the staff welcoming. However, the room was particularly dirty. Crumbs still on the chair, carpet not hovered probably and hairs still on the bathroom floor. The hotel needs to properly maintain their rooms (towel rail coming off the wall) and clean to a much much higher standard. After asking for a cleaner to come and clean the room properly after finding hair on the bathroom floor I went back later to find the bathroom still had not been touched (hairs still visible). When I asked again at reception, the management told me in no uncertain terms that the cleaner had been up to clean the room and it was done. They were not apologetic in the slightest that I still had issues with hairs. The cleaner did actually visit my room a short while later, me pointing out where she needed to clean but no apology or understanding. Where is the customer service here??!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank leduck5
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

I was at a wedding at this hotel with my whole family. The staff were very nice to all of us and helped my family have a great wedding and a great weekend. I had a lot of banter with the bar staff throughout the weekend and felt relaxed and comfortable most of my stay. One problem was the mens toilets, however the owner apologised for this and it is also a mistake that could not be helped but would be sorted. The food was also nice. Service at times was a bit slow for a wedding of over 40 that had been planned for two years. However, this is again a mistake which has hopefully been learnt from. The hotel gave a great view of the loch and is a place that many would be pleased to stay at.

• Stayed May 2010
kendal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

We came here in May for an evening meal as our 'pet friendly hotel' we were staying in, hated dogs!!!!!
We popped our heads in the door & asked if it was ok to bring our dog in while we had some food and we were greeted by the warmest welcome!
The food was yummy & massive portions, we would definately come back as we didnt stay here.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in St. Fillans
Clachan Cottage Hotel
Clachan Cottage Hotel
#1 of 6 in Lochearnhead

Been to Drummond Hotel? Share your experiences!