“Friendly and clean, but cash only!”
Review of James Cottage B&B

James Cottage B&B
and 1 more site!
James Cottage B&B
Ranked #6 of 27 Crieff B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We enjoyed our one night with Michael. 10/10 for customer service, friendliness and the breakfast. We docked one star because it there is no car park, and Michael insisted we pay by cash, he didn't mention this until we were leaving. We had USA, UK credit cards and cheques, but he wanted cash. He did not offer a receipt so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work that one out :). But, he is a nice guy and very friendly. We recommned this plac, but check with him first about payment!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Heloise
micheallynch, Owner at James Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Yes, James Cottage prides itself on being clean and friendly BUT for anyone to suggest that we are a cash only business is not being truthful one bit and these folk from Missourie are lying about car parking and credit card acceptability. We have private car parking illustrated for all to see on our front-of-house James Cottage B&B notice board and as for cards we pay, like all others, for the privilage of having such a facility for all guests. I [the owner] am hugely disappointed that such a guest could remotely be so hossible in their review given the level of comfort and service provided at James Cottage in the Higlands of Perthshire. I trust they will reflect upon their oversight not to see, or remotely ask, about private car parking if it was a concern!

Michael & Staff

There are newer reviews for James Cottage B&B

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Stayed for the weekend with my husband for the weekend to attend a wedding. B&B was clean, comfortable and had amazing breakfasts.

The host is the nicest man you will ever meet even washing my hubby's shirt and ironing it after we asked to borrow an iron. If we get invited to another wedding in the area, we will be back:o)

• Stayed: July 2011
micheallynch, Owner at James Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Our guests are our life-line and for sure we do everything possible to ensure they are well looked after and this is a case in point when we went that extra few yards to show our appreciation for them choosing James Cottage by simply helping out with laundry duties. Like hundreds of other guests, you two would be made most welcomed on your return visit.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Only just got round to reviewing my B and B's from my LEJOG cycling trip last summer!

The host Michael was very helpful before and during my trip. I was having trouble finding somewhere to stay in the area, and couldn't afford Michael's initial price, but he managed to accommodate myself and my mum and dad at a fair price. After a long old day in the saddle, I needed somewhere warm to relax, and I found it here. With the Cairngorms to come this was just what I needed. Michael is very easy to talk to, and gave me encouragement to finish my trip.

Oh, and his breakfast isn't bad either!

Thanks again

James Welbourn

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

So glad James Cottage played an honest role in your cycling achievement of riding the length of Britain. Thank you sincerely for posting a review at a time when your body needed rest following gruelling cycle stages on a daily base.

Sincerely congratulations for achieving your goal and thank you for choosing James Cottage.

Reviewed January 8, 2011

The b&b had nicely appointed rooms, but I felt somewhat uneasy with the attitude demonstrated by the owner, Michael. Maybe I just caught him on an "off" day, since other reviewers had a different experience. He appeared to be friendly, but underneath his smile was more than a hint of arrogance and aggressiveness in his communication style. Arrive as a stranger, leave as a friend sounds nice, but in reality, it felt insincere. Example, I remarked that the room was very nice, trying to pay him a compliment, and he quickly responded back, "yes, of course it's nice, this is a 4 star b&b, what did you expect?" Another example, when he asked me what I wanted for breakfast, I said eggs and bacon, and he quickly responded back in an abrupt (borderline nasty) manner, "you get one egg." It wasn't so much what he said, but the manner in which he spoke to me. During my holiday in Scotland, I generally found b&b owners to be genuinely warm and welcoming. This establishment lacked the genuiness and warmth I found elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
11  Thank TravelReviewer150
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Stayed one night in James Cottage enroute to Scotland. We had the Rabbie Burns double room with ensuite bathroom. James Cottage has a certain style and if you have a sense of minimalism likely to be affronted by too many paintings and objects this B&B isn't for you. But the owner was very friendly and everything important worked well. The bathroom could have done with a little updating but it was clean and had plenty of hot water and good towels.

The breakfast in the morning was very good with fruit, fruit juice, cereals and the ability to make your own hot toast. The cooked breakfast was freshly made and included both black pudding and haggis which I approved of. There was plenty of tea and coffee. By the conversation with others in the room James Cottage gets a lot of repeat business by providing somehwere reasonable, comfortable and friendly to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SKDLondon

I thank you for your very honest review and you can be assured that all comments, good or not so good, are listened to at James Cottage in order that we may keep making progress at improving the quality of service and comfort for guests. Your input lends itself along this continual process and for that I really appreciate your constructive review, thank you.

Reviewed August 17, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for four nights and Michael, who runs the place, could not have been more helpful. We were able to park our trailer and motorcycles behind the house and off the road, which was important to us. Breakfasts were very sumptuous and even included 'Breakfast Haggis'. Lovely clean and tidy establishment which we'd certainly use again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

There is nothing more for me to comment on other than it is always a pleasure to receive such a fantastic review. Thanks a million for taking your valued time to post such appreciative and most welcoming comments.

Reviewed June 23, 2008

Our famous B&B in Scotland, you arrive as a guest and and depart as a friend - this is really the truth. This year was our second stay at James Cottage and of course not our last stay.
It is a very kind welcome, Michael has a lot of good tips to see & do and our motorcycles could park behind the house so that they are not visible.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
micheallynch, Owner at James Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

I don't know why reviews are kept 'alive' for more than four years, let alone more than a year. Nonetheless this review is very welcomed and for certain James Cottage always tries to offer the best in comfy beds, quality food and a huge warm and genuine welcome to all guests. We thank this reviewer for taking the time and energy to submit his experience.

Warmest regards.