“Overdressed!!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Carnoustie
“Overdressed!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I haven't stayed in the Hydro for a while but had a night's stay on Feb. 16th.
Our room was small but spotless. As we don't have many opportunities to dress up we decided to dine in the formal (ha! ha!) Miekle Restaurant. Why did we bother "dressing up"?? We stood out like sore thumbs. Not only were people wearing jeans (never heard of before!) but scruffy ones at that.
On leaving, I asked the manager if the dress code no longer applied. He said, as I thought, that all documentation said so but that they are no longer allowed to enforce it! He shared my displeasure at the standard of dress nowadays.
Why have a formal dining room if it's not formal??!! - just have yet another ordinary eatery.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnCarnoustie
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
It's true that we've relaxed our dress code to fit modern lifestyles johnCarnoustie, but having read your report maybe it's now time for a review. We love seeing our guests 'dress to the nines' and appreciate the effort you made. Here's hoping you'll return soon to bring a touch of elegance to the Hydro.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
london
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Crieff Hydro hotel/resort is absolutely beautiful and so peaceful. We stayed at the Powmil Cottage which was of very good standard from the 18th till 22nd of feb 2013.

The staff at the crèche and activity centre were all so so fab, helpful and down to earth. Jess, who helped us plan our activities was particularly helpful and very friendly.

The 4x4 off road drive was an excellent experience which both my husband and I enjoyed. The instructor who I believe was called Mike was also excellent!

On the flip side of our experience The reception staff were racially discriminative and completely ruined a wonderful stay!

On Check in the receptionist Amy did not greet me on arrival but stood there looking me up and down. She firstly confirmed the number of people/children in our party and perfectly knew we had no dogs with us. She then declared I needed to give her a debit card details for any damages my family could possibly make to the cottage. I asked if the card details was an absolute requirement to which she stated it was. It was not required but up to the customer if they wished for items to be charged to their rooms/cottage.

During our stay we saw Amy a few times in and around Crieff Hydro each time she saw us she stared rudely at us as if we were from another planet!

On one occasion we walked past the reception desk and there were about 6 receptionists, not a single one greeted us but stared and looked us up and down! By chance we walked past the chief executives wife's office and brought the matter to her attention.

You would think that would have been the last of it well on check out, my husband and I walked up to the reception desk with our 9 year old son and 9 month baby. Emma did not bother to greet us instead my husband greeted her by saying Good Morning, you would think that the receptionist would reply well guess what a very blaten "nothing" not a single word!!!! Apparently she didn't hear him greeting her which infact she should have done herself.

We had made a complaint and were asked what we wanted from it? Are you being serious your staff were racist and your asking what we would like to be done?

We are a young Asian family both myself and my husband born and brought up in London and educated to a good respectful standard. The money we spent, Im sure the receptionists would only dream of earning!

Crieff Hydro you let us down and made us feel this way it's very sad as not all your staff are the same but unfortunately we will never return again. If we were not welcomed you should have had a sign on your Internet stating no coloured people!

Ps I'm still waiting for my email apology.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank sultana C
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
These are strong allegations, which we completely refute sultana C. The Hydro staff comprises 22 nationalities working happily alongside each other and your review has saddened us all. We appreciate all feedback - good or bad, but your personal accusations were a real low blow, particularly when aimed at young Receptionists who are just starting their careers in hospitality. Not nice, or necessary.
Strabane, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just back from a 4 night stay in a 3 star chalet. Very dated accommodation in need of urgent make over. Worst shower we ever used so we ended up using the showers at the swimming pool.
Extremely overpriced for the very basic accommodation. For £484 for 4 nights we expected a higher standard of finish.
On a plus note the hotel and facilities are very good for a family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Our self catering units are refurbished on a rolling basis and we're sorry that your chalet didn't meet your expectations GraceNR. It's not clear if you requested another unit, as we'll always try our best to please. We'd really like the chance to discuss the many alternatives available if we can tempt you back someday.
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This being my second stay at the Crieff hydro I was slightly apprehensive... the first stay marred by unruly children running up and down the corridors into the small hours!
To avoid this I decided to upgrade to a Leigh room with Dinner, bed and breakfast and was not disappointed!
The room itself was lovely, nice and spacious with a brilliant sitting area with a great view to wake up to - see photo. Nice big bed and plenty of pillows. A small mini fridge was also provided. Love how the room has been done up with a nice modern feel. The bathroom was amazing a great walk in shower and a lovely bath to relax in. It was also ideal these rooms come with a parking space so no need to worry about moving you luggage etc.
We decided to dine in the Meikle restaurant and the food was excellent as was the service! - have provided some photos. Would highly recommend dining here. The only minor thing was the bar didn't have any amaretto which I found strange but the staff were very attentive.
Breakfast was fine, a good selection of cereal/fruit/yogurt as well as all your cooked items and nice fresh croissants.
Initially we had also booked into the spa for lunch/massage on our second day but had to cancel this after I took ill. So can't comment on these facilities but hope to return soon to try it out!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nicice
We were all 'cock-a-hoop' after reading your fantastic review nicice. Thank You. We think that the Leigh bedrooms are something special and are delighted that you agree. We'll be sure to order some Amaretto in anticipation of your return stay. Hope to see you soon!
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed over as wedding guests, which was very expensive for 1 night especially as we were placed above the wedding evening reception venue it an extremely shabby room.

Usually I would be partying the night away but I was 8 months pregnant with a toddler who needed to sleep. The room so so noisy being above the wedding venue. It was summer & very warm so the old sash windows were opened only to find the 'smoking bit' was outside.

A terrible experience, don't waste your time if your going for a wedding stay elsewhere!

Nice wedding venue tough.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Lemonadesoda
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
It's difficult to respond to your poor review Lemonadesoda, as 6 months have elapsed since you stayed. We can say 'though that - where possible - we'll always be very pleased to offer alternative accommodation upon request. As you liked the hotel we hope you'll give us another chance someday.
Lisburn
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was a trip for eighteen of our family to celebrate the 85th birthday of a father/grandfather and 50th birthday to enjoy over the half-term weekend. We had booked three self-catering chalets - split over four families. The resort facilities were excellent overall and everyone had a great time. There were plenty of things to do for both the children and adults alike, many of which were included in the cost. The chalets were spacious, well-laid out and were well-equipped with all the necessary equipment and utensils. They were warm and comfortable except for the double beds which were folded down from the settee. The mattresses were thin and none of us in any of these beds had a comfortable night's sleep for any of our three night's stay. This was disappointing as everything else about the stay was great. This is something that would need to be sorted if I was to consider another stay as a good night's sleep is important. I am surprised that this issue has not been addressed before now.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
It's brilliant that your family joint Birthday celebration was such a success jpalmer429. We're only sorry that the sofa beds spoiled the party - sorry. We agree that a good night's sleep is so important and will check these out straightaway. Hope to welcome you all back soon.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I made the trip to Creiff Hydro over Valentine's weekend and we were very impressed. We opted for the dinner, bed & breakfast deal and also booked a massage & passes to the Victorian Spa. Nothing disappointed. We dined in both the Brasserie (lunch) & the Meikle Restaurant (dinner). The latter was absolutely brilliant. The food was impeccable and the staff were very attentive. Our evening was topped off by visiting the piano bar for a nightcap - I'd recommend the Meikle for an evening meal and the Brasserie for a quick, no fuss meal. Creiff offered anything we wanted and I couldn't rate the spa & massage highly enough - an absolute must if you've not got the kids with you :) A bonus being that I found out I was pregnant on the trip, so we'll definitely be making a visit back in the future - although, as parents this time round! We'll have a good excuse to take part in all the fun kids activities!

• Stayed February 2013
We just couldn't be more thrilled to read your fantastic review and share in your wonderful baby news CatherineWeir! Congratulations from all at the Hydro. We all look forward to welcoming you back for lots of family breaks in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
Dunkeld House Hotel
Dunkeld House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!