“As always - a great time!”

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from Crieff Hydro where we stayed in one of the executive studios just a few seconds walk from the main reception. The studio was warm, spacious, modern and importantly spotless! We have been several times before with our children but this was our first time just ourselves. There was another 1st - the Victorian Spa which we loved, we had a short wait as it was at capacity, this was due to regular members attending. It was very relaxing altho i did find the changing rooms a bit cramped if anything. We had a dinner bed and breakfast package which also included 2 free cocktails and the choice of breakfast in bed, very good value for money. We had breakfast in the Meikle, great selection of foods, we did go at peak time, a short wait, quite busy but that was expected. Lunch and dinner were both at the Brasserie with both good varieties on the menus. We had one issue that we spoke to a duty manager about, this was dealt with efficiently and discreetly. I do think i prefer going to the Crieff Hydro with my children as it is very family friendly as opposed to a romantic break. My only hope is that its not long again before we all go back as a family!! Ill be looking out for the special deals - keep them coming!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your sterling review MrsCDev. We're delighted that you really enjoyed your break and found it excellent value for money. Keep watching our website for other special deals in the coming months. Hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort

Reviewed February 5, 2013

another wonderful weekend break at Crieff. My son is 11 and just loves all the activities there are on offer.
We had booked a chalet (usually stay at Culcrieff). When we arrived it was not what I had expected but the lovely staff on reception quickly found me a great lodge up at Culcrieff and saved the day!!
We dont tend to eat at the hotel but the breakfast is wonderful.
Staff in all areas are very friendly and helpful.
Thanks Crieff Hydro see you all again very soon.

Room Tip: The chalets are very basic, but if you are looking for a home from home the Culcrieff lodges are for...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

We're delighted that quick thinking on our Receptionist's part has resulted in a 5 star review from you carol G. It's music to our ears that the Hydro is becoming a 'home from home' for you and look forward to welcoming you and your son back for many years to come.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at Crieff Hydro recently and had a great time! Exactly what it says on the tin, very child friendly, the room was good, the food was very good and excellent value for money. The staff were both friendly and accommodating! We'll definitely go back again and will be going with friends- I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

When we saw 'Excellent' in your review title we knew we were in for good news travellingsharpei and you didn't disappoint! It's great to hear that you had a ball and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the Hydro soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I came on to leave a positive review after yet another stunning break at this superb hotel. I was stunned when I read the previous poor review. Feels like I was in a totally different place. I am a return guest and will very happily continue to be so. Stunning location, stunning buildings and estate, friendliest and most helpful staff (and plenty of them carrying out every function you can think of), spotlessly, spotlessly clean and a very classy, classic design style. Yes, it was busy but not unmanageably so and the adults only Victorian Spa is a bargain at £10 for as long as you want. Surprisingly, food and especially drinks are very reasonably priced (cheap in fact)!!! Plenty of seating dotted around - choice of quiet areas and "in the thick of it". We ate in the Barasserie in the evening - plenty of choice, excellent service and great value. The breakfast in the Meikle restaurant was even better if that's possible. Full choice of fruit, yoghurts, cereals, toast and cooked. Flawless operation and no queuing that I could see. A definate sign of success that I could see such a huge restaurant so busy on a Monday morning. All in all, something for everybody and I for one will continue to visit. Can't speak highly enough of the place (and you couldn't rate the fantastic scenery all around - that really is off the scale in a league of its own)! Please give this place a try.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Mfcfirpark

Wow ..... what a fantastic review Mfcfirpark! Reading this made us all feel that our hard work is really appreciated and put a real spring in our step. We'd all like to say a huge 'Thank You' and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked a night at Crieff Hyrdo for myself and my boyfriend after having a hectic last few months and felt that we deserved a treat. I would say I have quite high standards and after reading some negative reviews I was a little worried BUT on arrival I was quickly assured that this was going to be the trip that I desired. Check-in was quick and friendly, we were staying in the Leigh Signature suites so parked the car in the designated car space for our room. After a little confusion of how to get into the building we were absolutely delighted with our room. Like I said before I really do have high standards but I walked about the room with a massive smile on my face. The views were outstanding, looking over the snowy hills. The en-suite was clean and modern and the bath was amazing. Last but not least, the bed! It was not only extremely big but comfortable too.
We spent the day wandering around the grounds which in itself were beautiful. As we were only there for one day we didn't plan to do any of the activities but there is a lot to choose from, perfect if you have kids.
We booked dinner at the Brasserie as the Meikle Restaurant has a set menu and we didn't fancy anything on it. I was a little disappointed as the brasserie looked a little bit more casual BUT after eating there we made the right choice. The food was delicious, no complaints. My only little (very little) negative point would be directed at the service. I had to return a dirty glass, remind out waiter for our drinks and also once the waiter took away our 'starter' plates we were asked to see the dessert menu. It really didn't bother me that much and certainly did not ruin my dining experience one little bit.
In the morning we woke up early and went down to breakfast (buffet), no major complaints, food was tasty and had a lot of choice. Again just a little slow on the service and brought us the wrong drink and forgot about the milk but it was a Sunday morning and it didn't ruin our stay. I booked myself in for a treatment at the Spa - Glorifying Mud - It was the best treatment I have ever had and definitely worth the £75 I spent. The therapist was really friendly and didn't do a rushed job. I really enjoyed it!

We will definitely be back soon and for longer next time. Everyone has different expectations, but I am really surprised that some guests didn't enjoy their stay.

Room Tip: Leigh Signature Suites - Room 93
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

We were all bowled over by your fantastic review Efinnie - thank you. You painted such a lovely picture of the Hydro, which is very much appreciated. We hope you'll be back soon to wallow in some more mud, glorious mud!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel is well located and accessible from most of the central belt. Check in was smooth and efficient and our room was large and comfortable. We made use of the (child free) Victorian Spa pool at an extra cost of £10/day. Staff were helpful and went out of their way to find me a pair of cuff links. Ate in the Brasserie one night (quite loud0 but the food was OK and one night in the Miekle which was very good - the food was what I would expect from this kind of restaurant and the lamb tasted great. Lots of outdoor activities, but you should book them before you arrive otherwise they're likely to be full. Very good walking in the grounds of the hotel - the view from the top of the Knock is beautiful.
The bill was correct (though it took them a couple of goes in the restaurant) but took quite a lot of figuring out especially as we had paid in advance for one of the meals.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for posting such a positive review Tom446. We were all really chuffed with your comments, if a bit embarrassed about the billing saga! We'll get the abacus out ahead of your next visit and hope to welcome you back before long.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

The first time we had been at the Hydro, we have tried the victorian spa (We were provided towels, goodybag, free cold soft drinks, tea and coffee) Facilities were good, and restaurants, the food was of a good standard (Could have been better, for example serving mccains frozen chips I would have expected home made) However we are in Scotland in February there are loads of things to do, some things are free, like swimming pool, Cinema (We didnt have time to go) And for a few hundred pounds for the weekend you cannot go wrong.

Morning Papers delivered, Bottled Water and Jelly Beans left upon arrival, tea and coffee, small fridge in the room. TV DVD, the roomes were to a good standard.

Definately a must stay. With excellent facilities.

Referring to Gavinsm 78's comments re food, the menu is quite clear, there are extra side portions that can be purchased, and I would not expect a hotel to provide a service where I dump my kids and go party, the kids can attend the party with their parents. I would ignore this review.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Many thanks for bestowing our virtues with such enthusiasm hsef. Your review has resulted in lots of back slapping here at the Hydro: we’re all chuffed that your stay was so enjoyable and hope to see you again before long.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld
Atholl Palace Hotel
Atholl Palace Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!