“Best for classic, great value, de-stressing break”

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
“Best for classic, great value, de-stressing break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I came on to leave a positive review after yet another stunning break at this superb hotel. I was stunned when I read the previous poor review. Feels like I was in a totally different place. I am a return guest and will very happily continue to be so. Stunning location, stunning buildings and estate, friendliest and most helpful staff (and plenty of them carrying out every function you can think of), spotlessly, spotlessly clean and a very classy, classic design style. Yes, it was busy but not unmanageably so and the adults only Victorian Spa is a bargain at £10 for as long as you want. Surprisingly, food and especially drinks are very reasonably priced (cheap in fact)!!! Plenty of seating dotted around - choice of quiet areas and "in the thick of it". We ate in the Barasserie in the evening - plenty of choice, excellent service and great value. The breakfast in the Meikle restaurant was even better if that's possible. Full choice of fruit, yoghurts, cereals, toast and cooked. Flawless operation and no queuing that I could see. A definate sign of success that I could see such a huge restaurant so busy on a Monday morning. All in all, something for everybody and I for one will continue to visit. Can't speak highly enough of the place (and you couldn't rate the fantastic scenery all around - that really is off the scale in a league of its own)! Please give this place a try.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Mfcfirpark
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Wow ..... what a fantastic review Mfcfirpark! Reading this made us all feel that our hard work is really appreciated and put a real spring in our step. We'd all like to say a huge 'Thank You' and hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I booked a night at Crieff Hyrdo for myself and my boyfriend after having a hectic last few months and felt that we deserved a treat. I would say I have quite high standards and after reading some negative reviews I was a little worried BUT on arrival I was quickly assured that this was going to be the trip that I desired. Check-in was quick and friendly, we were staying in the Leigh Signature suites so parked the car in the designated car space for our room. After a little confusion of how to get into the building we were absolutely delighted with our room. Like I said before I really do have high standards but I walked about the room with a massive smile on my face. The views were outstanding, looking over the snowy hills. The en-suite was clean and modern and the bath was amazing. Last but not least, the bed! It was not only extremely big but comfortable too.
We spent the day wandering around the grounds which in itself were beautiful. As we were only there for one day we didn't plan to do any of the activities but there is a lot to choose from, perfect if you have kids.
We booked dinner at the Brasserie as the Meikle Restaurant has a set menu and we didn't fancy anything on it. I was a little disappointed as the brasserie looked a little bit more casual BUT after eating there we made the right choice. The food was delicious, no complaints. My only little (very little) negative point would be directed at the service. I had to return a dirty glass, remind out waiter for our drinks and also once the waiter took away our 'starter' plates we were asked to see the dessert menu. It really didn't bother me that much and certainly did not ruin my dining experience one little bit.
In the morning we woke up early and went down to breakfast (buffet), no major complaints, food was tasty and had a lot of choice. Again just a little slow on the service and brought us the wrong drink and forgot about the milk but it was a Sunday morning and it didn't ruin our stay. I booked myself in for a treatment at the Spa - Glorifying Mud - It was the best treatment I have ever had and definitely worth the £75 I spent. The therapist was really friendly and didn't do a rushed job. I really enjoyed it!

We will definitely be back soon and for longer next time. Everyone has different expectations, but I am really surprised that some guests didn't enjoy their stay.

Room Tip: Leigh Signature Suites - Room 93
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We were all bowled over by your fantastic review Efinnie - thank you. You painted such a lovely picture of the Hydro, which is very much appreciated. We hope you'll be back soon to wallow in some more mud, glorious mud!
Fife, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel is well located and accessible from most of the central belt. Check in was smooth and efficient and our room was large and comfortable. We made use of the (child free) Victorian Spa pool at an extra cost of £10/day. Staff were helpful and went out of their way to find me a pair of cuff links. Ate in the Brasserie one night (quite loud0 but the food was OK and one night in the Miekle which was very good - the food was what I would expect from this kind of restaurant and the lamb tasted great. Lots of outdoor activities, but you should book them before you arrive otherwise they're likely to be full. Very good walking in the grounds of the hotel - the view from the top of the Knock is beautiful.
The bill was correct (though it took them a couple of goes in the restaurant) but took quite a lot of figuring out especially as we had paid in advance for one of the meals.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting such a positive review Tom446. We were all really chuffed with your comments, if a bit embarrassed about the billing saga! We'll get the abacus out ahead of your next visit and hope to welcome you back before long.
troon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

The first time we had been at the Hydro, we have tried the victorian spa (We were provided towels, goodybag, free cold soft drinks, tea and coffee) Facilities were good, and restaurants, the food was of a good standard (Could have been better, for example serving mccains frozen chips I would have expected home made) However we are in Scotland in February there are loads of things to do, some things are free, like swimming pool, Cinema (We didnt have time to go) And for a few hundred pounds for the weekend you cannot go wrong.

Morning Papers delivered, Bottled Water and Jelly Beans left upon arrival, tea and coffee, small fridge in the room. TV DVD, the roomes were to a good standard.

Definately a must stay. With excellent facilities.

Referring to Gavinsm 78's comments re food, the menu is quite clear, there are extra side portions that can be purchased, and I would not expect a hotel to provide a service where I dump my kids and go party, the kids can attend the party with their parents. I would ignore this review.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Many thanks for bestowing our virtues with such enthusiasm hsef. Your review has resulted in lots of back slapping here at the Hydro: we’re all chuffed that your stay was so enjoyable and hope to see you again before long.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I'll bullet point this:
- we checked out after 6hrs without actually staying over. Despite a DB&B rate we availed ourselves of neither dinner, bed or breakfast. Our main gripe is that despite this and our complaints (which the receptionist apologised for and sympathised with) we were still charged full price.
- the swimming / changing area is reminiscent of a typical local council pool. Dirty, poorly decorated, no toiletries , largely communal , small blue faded towels. Slippy, hair and fluff covered narrow steps lead to a plastic flappy door into the pool area. Not even slighty luxurious. The only kids toys provided in the baby pool were watering cans (some small floats would have been nice) Dull , Damp and Old. The only kids toys provided in the baby pool were watering cans (some small floats would have been nice). A note to any people visiting without kids - even durning non kiddy hour, the pool area is full of children splashing and screeching , if this isn't for you then I believe you can pay £10 to get into an adult only pool.
-- the reception area has had a lovely refurb , looked very promising on the way in but the rest of the main building is all grubby carpets and bad wallpaper.
- the hotel is huge and there are stairs EVERYWHERE. We have 2 kids aged one and 2 and were on a room that could only be accessed via 2 flights of stairs. Lifts only got us half way and they are small and slow. We spent most of our time at the hotel lost and wandering corridors and going up and down stairs. Other guests were grumbling similarly as we exchanged sympathetic lost looks!
- there was no one to help with the luggage or show is to our room , very poor for the price charged. Considering the stairs and the distance between the room and reception not to mention the 2 toddlers I was carrying - help would have been appreciated.
- nothing for under 2s all supervised activities are for age 3 and up, soft play area dangerous for infants especially if bigger kids are around , it was also in a very dark narrow room , with limited adult seating and viewing space. you can only see the front of the play area so the only way to supervise is to go in yourself so the play area was also full of parents. Perhaps due to the pool or the cleanliness in the soft play, my 2 yr old now has an eye infection.
- the 'big country' childrens crèche , soft play room etc... Could only be accessed via a busy sports bar full of men drinking heavily and shouting at the rugby , I don't believe it is good for young children to be exposed to this and we had to weave through the men (blocking their view) to get to the crèche area , there was no door to separate the areas so the noise and bustle of the bar was obvious when in the crèche. I was stunned that a licensing body would give an alcohol license to this area. At busy periods you could enter the soft play area without any children with you and not attract the attention or question of staff.
- the room was tiny it had sloping ceilings so my husband couldn't stand in half the room. Despite being told we would get a double and a single bed what we got was 2 singles pushed together to form a king and a set of bunk beds on metal dormitory style frames in an alcove ( dangerous for toddlers) and a cot (a travel cot and travel mattress stained with baby sick). I was stunned , at the poor quality given the price and the star rating. A note to parents - bring socket covers as there are a lot of low level power sockets. Other hotels have been thoughtful enough to provide basic child proofing. This was sold as a family room but I challenge any of the staff to get 4 people and luggage into it alongside the travel cot and with a twin buggy. There is no space to move.
- The tv picture was fussy.
- the hair dryer broke. It had make up splashed over it by a previous guest and the filter was stuffed with fluff and hair. Another was provided by housekeeping , I saw them delivering more to other rooms too.
- the kettle only worked if you stood and held it in the stand - I had baby food to prepare this was a nuisance.
- the room was extremely dark, the wallpaper was badly cut at the edges, the carpet covered in stains , the pictures hung at different heights, there was an open safety pin on the middle of the kids bed. There were insects in the bathroom and stains on the toilet bowl.
- the desk containing the hair dryer also contained hair and the glittery remains of previous guests make up.
- no offer of baby equipment , other hotels have offered buggies, sterilisers, toiletries, laundry (not self service!) etc...
- lots of hen parties and the usual behaviours they exhibit - hard to explain to kids!
- loud noisy corridors, would make it hard to sleep
- we generally felt lost , ignored and unimportant to the hotel. Which had more guests than it could comfortably manage.
- it is the norm to have to queue for breakfast.
- there were no thoughtful details in the room that other hotels typically do.
- we went had a 5pm booking at the restaurant , I made it clear to staff the the children were tired and hungry and we were in a hurry to eat and get them to bed. We arrived at 4:45 , we were told just sit anywhere , we weren't given menus , had to find out own high chairs and werent offered drinks. My husband went to the bar to get us drinks and these arrived at the table and my husband signed a cheque for them ( odd that the weren't just added to the food bill) 5pm - still no menus , we asked a waitress , 5mins later we were told to move tables, we weren't given any help here or an explanation as to why. I carried our belongings and drinks to the new table and my husband carried out two children in their highchairs. 5:10pm and we had menus , 5:20pm still no one had taken our order. I asked a manager to heat up some emergency baby food I had with me as the children were getting grumpy and hungry and told her our order hadn't been taken. She returned with the baby food , but at 5:25 our order still hasn't been taken and with no confidence we'd have time to eat we got up and left. Note to staff - you cannot leave 2 toddlers in a high chair without food for 35mins and expect them still to sit through at least another hour of a meal. People with children need fast service. When we got up to leave , staff saw us but noone even questioned us leaving. Shocking. Despite our best attempts to get dinner, we were not fed - but still charged as part of our DB&B rate.
- despite checking out only 6hrs after arriving , my husband was charged full price, given an insincere apology by the receptionist , not offered any alternative room or other attempts to make right the situation. Despite the obvious failures by the hotel to at least attempt to ensure we had a pleasant stay no manager was even informed or attempted to speak with us to address our concerns. Utterly appalling , they got £250 of our very hard earned money while we had to feed ourselves and children at McDonalds before making the long drive home. I am so upset and disappointed at the waste of our family time and money as we now won't be able to afford a break somewhere better to make up for this.

• Stayed March 2012
12 Thank Mrs_C_K_10
Oh my goodness Mrs_C_K_10, we were pretty shocked by your poor review. So sorry. This just isn’t the Hydro way at all and we’d really appreciate the chance to restore your faith in some way, if you’d care to get in touch.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We booked the new year 3 day hogmany party and our friends decided to join us as we had such a great time at a similar hotel in Peebles the year before.
Unfortunately the two experiences were vastly different, the hotel looked amazing on the drive up, we checked in effortlessly and the bellboy took our bags to the room, the room was reasonable but by no means impressive. The daily activities were underprepaired for the amount of people attending and it was a daily battle to find seating, tables and space, the weather was not great and when its like that there isnt much to do. The kids had a great time and the big country club was amazing but the times were not great for a new year party and the kids had to be picked up at 9pm and there was no room monitoring service so unfortunately no party for us at night. The bar and restaurants were also dissapointing, the drink was very expensive, and we all left the table at night hungry and craving vegetables as if you ordered venison you would get the meat and 2-3 veg, we asked for extra veg and on check out were stunned to have been charged extra for it, unbelievable!!.
Our friends were equally dissaointed and all in all we wont be back to Crieff Hydro, we did leave feedback with the hotel and were told that they were going to make improvements and had passed on comments to the various department managers, but they say they want to entice you back but dont seem to be bothered about offering anything enticing other than passing on your comments.

Room Tip: Ask for a modern or newly refurbished room if they have them, the one we had was very dated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gavinsm78
We received many plaudits for our Hogmany celebrations this year gavinsm78, so it's such a shame we didn’t hit the spot for you and your friends. Sorry. We'd have been pleased to arrange a babysitting service if asked. We'd also have tried our best to resolve any other issues if you'd notified us at the time. Here's hoping you'll give us another chance to impress someday.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at one of the central apartments at Crieff Hydro and was massively impressed, bedroom was extremely comfortable and the kitchen well appointed. I didn't have time to try any of the facilities but I would highly recommend.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank A_Random_Pearswan
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Many thanks for your fantastic review A_Random_Pearswan. Here's hoping you'll be back soon with more time to enjoy all the facilities we have on offer at the Hydro.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Moness Resort
Moness Resort
#1 of 4 in Aberfeldy
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,220 reviews

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!