“welcoming and friendly”

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed December 5, 2012

this is my 2nd visit to crieff hydro with 2 children, and will definately be back again. The staff are all very helpful and effecient , the room which we had was a standard family in the ferntower block and i had no complaints, lovely room with great view, The food was very good with excellent buffet breakfast . Facilities for the kids were also very good , plenty to do during the day to keep them ammused. The grounds around the hotel are beautiful with outdoor activities , weather permitting.
The only thing that lets this hotel down is the swimming pool which is so bad considering the quality of the rest of the hotel......Firstly , it is not big enough for the amount of guests, and considering that most of them are children it is not by any means a child friendly pool, an inflatable slide at the side of a pool for 2 x 1 hour sessions a day is a poor show. There are a handful of family changing rooms which is hardly adequate for the volume of families requiring them after the inflatable sessions are over. I would say that this hotel is almost 1st class in my opinion , but the pool needs to be modernised, with more child areas etc,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Many thanks for your pragmatic review Eleanor B. It's so helpful to know when we're getting it 'spot on' and where there's areas for improvement. We'll heed your suggestions and hope to welcome you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,002)

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Just returned from a very good weekend at Crieff Hydro Self Catering Lodge.Hotel great although drinks pricey but as expected . The staff are great but yet again the food lets this hotel down badly. This is our fifth time at the hotel and we have had a few not so good meals , therefore we mainly eat out in the excellent restaurants in Creiff town like Yann,s and the Tower good well prepared food. But this year one of the girls spotted the festive menu had just started the day before in the Brassierie so we thought why not. What a big mistake what a waste of money. Firstly the hotel advertises this as a festive meal with decorations,crackers and turkey with all the trimmings. No crackers,no decorations two slices of turkey served with a baked potato, some roast vegetables and not to forget the congealed turkey dribble of gravy. The duty manageress did come over and speak to us and she was very apologetic and offered us a drink which was nice . But unfortunately the damage was done , it was ironic when I returned home after the weekend an Email arrived from Crieff hydro promoting the festive Christmas lunch what a joke . Far better places to eat in Crieff than the Hydro trust me.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for your comprehensive review Jan123456. To receive such specific feedback from a regular guest is priceless. We're so sorry to have disappointed you food-wise and will heed every word of your review. Here's hoping we'll impress you on your next visit.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We had a couple of nights at Crieff a while back, as we heard some very positive experiences from it. Overall, I thought it was a decent enough place. Apart from the fire alarm going off at 2am one night (and subsequently being hauled outside for 30 mins in the freezing cold), the standard was quite good. Overall I just thought it was very expensive for what it was....

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Feedback like yours is ‘worth its weight in gold’ to us Justin P and we really appreciate your positive comments. Sorry things weren't perfect this time round, but hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Having never stayed at the crieff hydro before we were looking forward to a lovely weekend. Dont get me wrong I love children - having had some myself! Arrived friday tea time to be engulfed by car loads of children checking in at the same time. The staff at reception were lovely and explained all facilities at hotel in detail. the executive room was very small but views from the windows were stunning. The bar area was small and by the time we arrived there were no seats and a queue of about 9 people waiting to be served. Breakfast was best described as a nightmare - slow service, cold food, dirty tables - we opted for room service the next day. On the saturday eveining we arrived back at the hotel to hear a band playing in the ball room, great we thought. Bearing in mind it was 10 pm couldnt get near for, youve guessed it - children/babies. The were no seats in the bar. headed for the brasserie - the only other bar. This turned out to be a cold, unwelcoming area with utilitarian wooden tables and chairs. We gave up. Whilst we give credit to the marketing department at the hotel and now realise that their core business is families, we feel if you are looking for a relaxing holiday rather than an upmarket butlins the crieff hydro is best avoided

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Really sorry we didn’t manage to make your visit all that you hoped for alieaston. You might like to consider our sister hotel, The Murraypark next time. It’s only a 5 minute walk, so you would still be able to enjoy the activities at the Hydro, but have a quieter area to return to. Hope you'll return one day to sample the best of both.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I had a three night package and while the Hydro is a fantasic venue, and our room with west and south views and beautifully decorated with it, made the experience potentially amazing, it was spoiled by poor staff with poor communication skills and an exceptionally poor buffet breakfast.
One night we were brought chicken instead of salmon, then on another night the chicken was cold. At a lunch we were handed the wrong menu and the bill revealed a £9 plus over charge, which the staff took off, as well as the charge for a bottle of wine which we never had.
The breakfast buffet was cold, especially the bacon and as a breakfast was two star with tinned fruit as opposed to fresh fruit. We have enjoyed a much better breakfast in a B+B.
One staff member was superb, a restaurant manager, but few of the other staff were up to the job.
At the weekend the hotel was full of parents and very young children, so a quiet weekend to get away from it all was not possible, but touring the area made up for some of that.
Will we go back? I doubt it, unless it improves and we could go midweek.

Room Tip: South facing and preferably west facing as well.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

We read your review with a very heavy heart donaldwynd and we’re all desperately sad to have disappointed you. Sorry. The service you describe isn’t acceptable at any time and we’ve addressed this in light of your review. Hope you'll give us another chance to impress.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the hotel from 29th Nov to 2nd Dec and would definitely recommend a visit.

On arrival, the staff were very helpful and checked us into the hotel quickly and efficiently and as we had never been to the hotel before they told us where everything was and they were really helpful.

We were room number 138, on the 1st floor. Our room was beautiful. King size bed, wardrobe, desk and the bathroom with shower was lovely. 5* for cleanliness. We also had housekeeping everyday with fresh towels and a quick clean. Really impressed!

We did also use the Victorian spa (ages 18+) for two days, we were charged £10 each per day. This wasnt too bad and there were no kids around us, it was very peaceful - the spa was great. Would definitely recommend this if you are looking for a relaxing time with no kids!

However, in our 3 days stay at the hotel there was only two things that we were a bit miffed about. On our first day, we had booked ourselves in to get some treatments at the beauty salon. I was having the glorious mud wrap and my boyfriend was having the hot stone massage. Both young girls who done out massages were lovely and very nice to speak to but we just felt that our treatments were very rushed (we were their last clients) and didnt really help us much. My wrap was supposed to last 60 mins and I was supposed to get a massage too, however, by the time I had gotten changed and had a shower inbetween and got dressed, I had vacated within 45 mins! And my boyfriends "hot stone" massage was due to last 35 mins. The stones were not hot and he was out in 25 mins! For the price we had paid for both treatments we had expected a bit more and were overall quite disappointed by this,

The other downside was the brasserie restaurant in the hotel. We had booked a table on our first night in the hotel as we just wanted to chill out on our first night. When we arrived at the restaurant, we received a cold greeting from the host and he took us over to our table, he advised us that someone will be with us shortly. After 15 mins, noone had came to take our drinks or food order. We had to flag a waitress down and she was quite apologetic. Our drinks came straight away but we waited about 40 mins for our mains to be delivered out to us. If we weren't so hungry and tired we would've walked down to the town to have a bite to eat. My boyfriend had the chicken burger and I had the beef burger and both meals were average, the meat did not have a taste at all. My boyfriend had finished his meal first and I had stopped to take a drink but the waitress tried to take my plate away too even though I wasn't finished. We were a bit thrown back by the service so we asked for the bill and just left. On our 3rd day in the hotel, we decided to give the restaurant another go, this time for lunch.. The host was very nice and seated us to our table and went through the specials menu with us. After a couple of minutes the waitress came over to take our order. We ordered two of the soups from the specials menu and waited around 25 mins for the waitress to come over and advise us they had ran out of the soup we ordered. The restaurant was not busy and only had a few families and couples in it so we wondered why it had taken so long for someone to come out and tell us!! As they had ran out of soup we ordered two sandwiches in its place which came out to us 5 mins later. Sandwiches were a bit tasteless! I had the tuna and my boyfriend had a cheese one. We also had two drinks and a garlic ciabatta to share which cost us £17!! Crazy expensive for four bits of bread and some filling on it!! Wouldn't recommend going to this restaurant.

Overall, we were generally impressed an will be recommending this to friends and families. We are just disappointed with the beauty salon and the brasserie.

• Stayed: December 2012

Many thanks for your sterling review RebeccaEdinburgh. We're delighted that you had a lovely stay and only sorry that your treatments and Brasserie service rubbed off some of the shine. We'll review both in light of your experience and promise you'll see improvements next time round.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We booked to go here last minute with out two children as ha heard such amazing things about it, we expected better.
The room was clean and I cannot complain about that at all.
The swimming pool was very basic yet warm for young children however changing facilities were rather dirty.
My husband wanted to book a massage but it was fully booked so he used the spa instead which he said was rather poor for the ten pound rate.
The restaurants food was awful! The only decent thing was the burger, even then it wasn't amazing. The first night I ordered the duck which was saturated with chilli and was over cooked. The last night I was there I ordered prawns with a watermelon and feta salad, however they roughy it out with a chopped gala melon mixed with ketchup!!!! I complained an they took it off the bill, it was disgusting, there is definitely no award winning chef there, it's actually rather amusing to think about it now but wasn't funny at the time.
Breakfast was basic usual, I have heard of fried eggs, however here they deep fry eggs, interesting yet again.
Activities they do have a large range which I imagine for older kids would be fantastic so I can't comment on these.
Overall I enjoyed my family time but I don't I would be returning here, if the food was better I probably would return as they do good rates for families but Crieff Hydro was unfortunately by for me or my family.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank ecrolla

Oh my goodness ecrolla, we were disappointed too after reading your poor review. So sorry. This just isn’t the Hydro way at all and we’d really appreciate the chance to restore your faith in some way, if you’d care to get in touch.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld
Gleneagles
Gleneagles
#1 of 3 in Auchterarder

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!