Just returned from a four night stay at Crieff Hydro Self catering Lodge. Our third stay this year so they must be doing something right.
The Excellent Bits:
Leigh Garden Appartment that is one of only a couple of self catering lodges on the same level as the hotel, All the others are on the side of a steep hill above the Hotel, or at Culcrieff, Approx 1 mile away beside the Golf and Activity Centre. As we have young children we book this appartment a year in advance so it is just like going to our own holiday home. Excellent layout with 3 double ensuite rooms and lovely views over the surrounding hills. Just wish the beds could be a bit more comfortable as neither my wife or I get a good nights sleep on them. We were unable to use the washing machine as it had been gummed up with soap powder. Also a few lights in the kitchen area were not working.
Big Country Kids Club. This is the main reason we keep coming back to Crieff. The staff are brilliant and the kids really enjoy themselves. A big thank you to Eileen, Michelle and the rest of the staff. We have total confidence in their ability to look after and entertain our Kids. 2 3 hourly sessions are included daily in the cost of the accommodation.
The Clubhouse beside the Activity Centre has been transformed under the management of Donna Quinn. Having been up to the clubhouse on previous visits we were aware that the kitchens had been refurbished but the welcome received was something else. A cheery smiley local lass gives you the kind of welcome that is sadly missing in some of the other parts of the hotel. There is a more varied lunch menu than what is available at the Brasserie Restaraunt and it comes at a lower price. If the weather is good it is advisable to book just to avoid disappointment. Food was excellent and delivered promptly to our table despite it being a busy day with most tables occupied.
The front desk staff as always were very efficient and polite. If you have any problems they are always willing to help..
Now we come to the not so great bit.
The Brasserie Restaraunt.
There have been changes since our last visit in the summer. The complimentary bread that came before the meal has been stopped, however, the portions seem to have increased a bit in size. The burgers are delicious and the fish and chips is the size of a whale. The down side is that the menu is quite limited and has not been changed in the three years we have been visiting Crieff Hydro. The other downside is that there is very little interaction between the serving staff and the customers, This is maybe because the majority of staff speak English as a second language and are not maybe as comfortable communicating in it. We have noticed that the number of native English speakers does seem to be reducing with each visit. It lacks the atmosphere that the Clubhouse offers due mostly to having a local talkative staff member who wants to interact with guests.
We will be back in April 2013 and we will be interested to see if the atmosphere has changed for the better in The Brasserie. If not I see us eating more at The Clubhouse.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arguably the most comprehensive family resort in Scotland, 4 star Crieff Hydro is centrally located in its own 900 acre estate with an unrivaled range of leisure pursuits for all ages. Choose from over 40 on-site leisure activities and take advantage of inclusive daily childcare for 2-12 year olds in the 700m2 kids club. Extensively redeveloped from top to bottom, Crieff Hydro is only an hours drive from both Glasgow and Edinburgh. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crieff Hydro Hotel Crieff
- Crieff Hydro Resort
- Crieff Hotel Hydro
- Crieff Hydro Scotland
- Crieff Hydro Hotel And Resort Scotland