I spent a couple of days here with my partner for a relaxing weekend getaway after a hectic period at work. The hotel itself is located in suburban Crieff outside the Highlands but with some great Highland destinations and scenery within easy reach. The architecture and furniture is part Victorian Highland, part modern spa and this schizophrenic identity seems to run through much of the hotel. The hotel itself seems to be part romantic retreat, part business hotel, part family holiday camp. Indeed, my big reservation about the hotel is that is does not quite seem to have decided whether it is an upmarket children's activity camp, or a more exclusive getaway for adults. While we were there the public areas including cafes and restaurants were always overrun by children possibly because the weather was so bad and they were shut indoors. This meant that it did not quite have the relaxing laid-back atmosphere that we had been hoping for.
There are loads of activities for children and adults from archery and horse riding to quad biking--all of course for additional, and not always cheap, payments. The rooms themselves were spacious and comfortable. Some of the corridors and public areas were rather dated and tired, but the restuarants and cafes were modern and offered some great views. The service was excellent throughout our stay and couldn't really be faulted.
I think the hotel would be a great place for families with children of all ages to stay and for special occasions such as weddings. However, if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing weekend get-away in the highlands this may not be the best choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arguably the most comprehensive family resort in Scotland, 4 star Crieff Hydro is centrally located in its own 900 acre estate with an unrivaled range of leisure pursuits for all ages. Choose from over 40 on-site leisure activities and take advantage of inclusive daily childcare for 2-12 year olds in the 700m2 kids club. Extensively redeveloped from top to bottom, Crieff Hydro is only an hours drive from both Glasgow and Edinburgh. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crieff Hydro Hotel Crieff
- Crieff Hydro Resort
- Crieff Hotel Hydro
- Crieff Hydro Scotland
- Crieff Hydro Hotel And Resort Scotland