“Grand hotel but not really a relaxing break”

Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I spent a couple of days here with my partner for a relaxing weekend getaway after a hectic period at work. The hotel itself is located in suburban Crieff outside the Highlands but with some great Highland destinations and scenery within easy reach. The architecture and furniture is part Victorian Highland, part modern spa and this schizophrenic identity seems to run through much of the hotel. The hotel itself seems to be part romantic retreat, part business hotel, part family holiday camp. Indeed, my big reservation about the hotel is that is does not quite seem to have decided whether it is an upmarket children's activity camp, or a more exclusive getaway for adults. While we were there the public areas including cafes and restaurants were always overrun by children possibly because the weather was so bad and they were shut indoors. This meant that it did not quite have the relaxing laid-back atmosphere that we had been hoping for.

There are loads of activities for children and adults from archery and horse riding to quad biking--all of course for additional, and not always cheap, payments. The rooms themselves were spacious and comfortable. Some of the corridors and public areas were rather dated and tired, but the restuarants and cafes were modern and offered some great views. The service was excellent throughout our stay and couldn't really be faulted.

I think the hotel would be a great place for families with children of all ages to stay and for special occasions such as weddings. However, if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing weekend get-away in the highlands this may not be the best choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Global_Dundonian
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

As Scotland’s leading leisure resort it’s true that we're a popular holiday destination for families Global_Dundonian and many adults enjoy the energy that children they bring to the Hydro. Yes, the recent rainy weather has rather spoilt outdoor fun, but we hope to welcome you back for a sunnier and more relaxing break soon.

There are newer reviews for Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort

Reviewed June 19, 2012

An amazing hotel and holiday destination, although expect it to be busy around the holiday seasons - especially Christmas and new year.
The rooms are spacious and most have recently been refurbished so are modern yet still have a traditional touch with the occasional tartan.
The leisure facilities are what really appealed to me during our stay. They have everything from horse riding to segways and squash to bowls.
The staff are always friendly and eager to be of assistance.
There is also a kids club for any parents who would like a day for themselves and it features a play area and numerous activities and adventures the children can take part in.
When i stayed it was at the festive period and the hotel hosted a ceilidh every Sunday night which was a great laugh even if you dont quite know the steps.
The restaurant is exquisite and features black tie dining giving it a touch of luxury. The food as everything else matches the high standards of the hotel and is well worth visiting.
Overall a great holiday and it was well enjoyed.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Your review was well worth the wait jen m and we’re all delighted that you enjoyed your festive break. We hope you’ll be back soon to enjoy summertime at the Hydro. In the meantime thanks for all your lovely comments, which we all enjoyed reading.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed the evening to attend a friends wedding. The room was big, clean with a fantastic view. Check in was quick and efficient, check out was a little more tricky. Having had a great night we were feeling a little fragile in the morning, requesting a late check out we were told we would need to pay a half room rate for a few extra hours. Considering we had spent around £500 in one evening I would have expected a little more.

Despite previous reviews regarding slow service, dining in the restaurant was a delight. The service was excellent and the food was good, I would be happy to eat here again.

We had heard that the hotel was overrun by children and young families making it very noisy. Although child friendly I can't say that we noticed a lot of children and there was a lovely welcoming atmosphere - even for a bunch of adults.

There is very little negative to say about this hotel, in fact I have only praise - with the exception of the price. Charging rates equivalent to Cameron house, mar hall and the old course the weekend we stayed I would have expected more.

All in all I had a lovely stay and would love to return for a longer visit.... if the price is right.

• Stayed: May 2012
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

We enjoyed reading your really balanced review BringOnTheSunTan. Sorry, but it just isn’t possible to offer a free late check-out facility for all in such a busy hotel I’m afraid. Thanks for all your other positive comments, which greatly encourage all the staff and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

my fiance and I are just back from a 2 night stay at the crieff hydro on a DBB reservation. we had booked an executive room. upon arrival we checked in and I had my card swiped for any additional charges throughout our stay (the full price of the stay had been paid for in advance). At check in we were asked if we would like to be told where everything was, well....erm.......yes!! she started with our room and then told us where the restaurants, pool, spa etc were, she was pleasant and gave us a map and info about what was happening that day.
we headed up to our room (260) it was huge, with a huge bed, clean bathroom and flatscreen tv and dvd player. we had lovely views over the country and hotel grounds.
We decided to look at the activities on offer- on their website they talk about over 60 activities, which there are but its very expensive!!!! the only things included in our £325 stay was the pool, gym and cinema, which wasn't working!
The victorian Spa was £10 pp so £20 for us to use, there was a pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and whilst I enjoyed it and would recommend it, i feel for the price you pay to stay at a Hydro hotel, the spa should be included in that price!
The activity centre is about a 15 minute walk away from the hotel and is where most of the activities take place, we decided to do the segways which was advertised as being £28 pp but was actually £30pp when we arrived, however this was easily the highlight of our stay- absolutely amazing, and staff very helpful at the activity centre.
We didn't do anymore activities as we felt we couldn't justify the money! I felt they liked to charge for everything. the snooker room was £4, the bats and balls for table tennis was £4, the bowls cost money, the cash machine charged you to withdraw, I felt that for the money we paid, a little more could have been included in the price.
The food was good, we ate both nights in the brasserie, staff were friendly and helpful especially Sophie H!! very friendly and helpful :).
the way dinner works, if your on DBB is that you can eat in the Miekle restaurant, but upon closer inspection, most things on the menu had a surcharge!!!!! alternatively you can eat in the brasserie where you get £21.50 towards dinner, so once again our DBB didnt really include dinner, just a contribution towards it. Breakfast was hot and cold buffet and was tasty, it did however take quite a while to be served your tea and coffee and toast, i think that arrived about 15 minutes after we had finished breakfast!!
All in all we had an enjoyable stay, and would stay again but at least we know what to expect next time for our money, it was relaxing and generally staff were helpful and friendly. I do think that families with children that are planning a longer stay should be prepared to spend a lot of money entertaining their children as everything has a charge!!

Room Tip: ask for an executive room with views at the back of the hotel!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lynne s
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

We’re pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall lynne s and that you’re planning to return some day for more fun on the Segways. In the meantime, thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback, which is invaluable to us in assessing our service and possible areas for improvement.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Crief Hydro is an excellent place for all couples and families that want to enjoy a nice break! Myself and my family have stayed here three times (twice in the plush hotel, once in the cosy cabins) and there truly is something for everyone to enjoy! a very relaxing spa, a large swimming pool with a slide, tennis courts, a cinema, a games room, a fitness suite, good entertainment at night, a large play park with a zip wire, forest trails, bike hiring, quad biking and much more, there is always activities going on!

The rooms & suite's in the hotel are simply lovely, luxurious and a definite four star! The cabins are very sweet, quite small but very clean and a nice atmosphere, I loved staying in both!

a great break and I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Thank you for posting such an outstanding review Charl0tta! Everyone loves receiving praise – and we’re no exception. We hope to welcome you back soon for your next self-catering or hotel break.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

very busy hotel have stayed regulalry over the years and even at start of the week its very busy.fabric of the hotel is maintained to a high standard .has lots of amenities and caters for everyone .most recent visit only minor grumble was the buffet breakfast which was slightly bland for my taste.still a good hotel and very busy all the time

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dookers
CrieffHydro, Guest Relations Manager at Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thanks for posting such a positive review dookers. Although things weren’t absolutely perfect, we really appreciate your measured approach and will heed your buffet breakfast feedback. We hope you’ll be back soon to see how we’ve improved the menu content in light of your comments.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed at No 84 (Dunvegan) on 21 April 2012 for one night.

On receiving the keys at 1340, we put our cases into our studio and were dismayed to find the condition of the two settees bases (that form the mattresses to the beds downstairs) in a dreadful condition. There was a large patch of what appears to have been blood on one of the mattresses, and further fluids/stains on both mattresses. I spoke to your reception who agreed to replace the mattresses and also to arrange for the housestaff to show us how to form the settees into beds.

After waiting for 45mins no-one had arrived and we duly went to spend the day in the spa. When I returned at 1600 I found that the beds had been made up, however the mattresses had not been changed. I went to the reception again and asked that the mattresses be changed, before going to pick up my kids.

I returned to the studio at 1830 to find nothing had changed. Our family went for a meal and I again asked reception to please change the mattress.

On returning from the meal (and ceileidh) about 2130, the mattresses had still not been changed. As a result all four of us slept in the bed upstairs.

However, this is not all. On retiring to bed, my wife noticed blood on the paintwork and door handle of the bedroom. Now, we have two 6 year old kids, one of whom constantly sucks his thumb. I am sure you can understand our concern to find this in an area that would be touched by his hand when opening the door. Given the late hour and the lack of any reaction to my previous requests, my wife cleaned the door and handle.

In the morning, after a less than restful sleep, we duly got ready for the day and I noted further blood – this time on the wooden architrave leading into the bathroom. I am sure that it will still be there should you wish to look for yourself as my wife felt she had done enough cleaning duties – especially given it was her birthday weekend.

I emailed the manager directly on 24 April and to date have yet to receive any communication back - not a happy bunny!

We paid a premium to stay there for a single night and had I known that the quality of room was going to be so low, I would have booked elsewhere. Certainly I am minded to choose another hotel the next time we go away for a weekend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Slainte_Mhor

Oh my goodness Slaint_Mhor, we’re all shocked to read your review and would like to speak to you personally as soon as possible. We can’t trace your e-mail and wonder if it was maybe sent to one of our ‘do not reply’ addresses? Please telephone the Hydro and ask for the Duty Host who will be expecting your call and will talk to you about this in more detail. It’s important to us that you feel we’ve taken appropriate action to resolve this matter to your complete satisfaction. Hope to hear from you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld
Atholl Palace Hotel
Atholl Palace Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!