“Really interesting and fun site” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crieff
Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Really interesting and fun site”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our End to End road trip. The site is really quite incredible. We stayed in a woodland pitch, which was great, but the view from the upper meadow looked absolutely amazing! I was very tempted to move our tent there once I saw it and have said that we'll be camping there next time we stay here :D

We arrived after reception was closed and were really impressed by the information board with our name and pitch number on and the little maps to help us get there! We did struggle to find the toilets/showers/washing up area and had to ask some fellow campers. I imagine if you're arriving earlier though this wouldn't be a problem since you'd be told where they are.

We really liked how woodland pitches were so spaced out, even though all the pitches near us were occupied there was still a sense of relative seclusion you don't get at a lot of camp sites. We arrived too late to get any firewood but absolutely loved that this site allows camp-fires and provides fire-pits in the woodland areas and fire-saucers for the meadow areas.

It felt like one night was not long enough to really appreciate everything this site has to offer, it really is something quite special. We stayed as a couple but this would be an absolutely amazing place to bring children (there was a rope swing next to our camping pitch!!)

We will definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: The woodland pitches are really great, but the views from the top meadow looked amazing! So if you l...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Amazing place to let the kids experience the wilds as safely as possible. Shop well stocked and town not far away. Came across lots of staff who with the exception of 1 were lovely. Avoid the low meadow if free roaming kids aren't your thing. Katas looked great as did woodland pitches. No play park but plenty of space to play!! Didn't want to come home, my 3 year old decided we'd just leave the tent there so we could come back. Will be back soon.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Scaryfairi
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at Comrie Croft with a group of my friends.

What to say, it was honestly one of the best weekends away I have ever had. Not being a camper of any description, I wasn't sure what to expect or even if I would be eating for 2 days but I really enjoyed the open camp fire. We stayed in Katas 3 and 4 and the set up is great. Spending most of our time at Kata 3 it has a lovely "babbling brook" next to it which was a lovely backdrop to our campfire. The staff are absolutely great and really friendly. Colin and George were extremely attentive and really helpful - they even set up a tarp for us when it rained so we could still enjoy the great outdoors!

The facilities are easily reached and plentiful. The overall set up of the Croft and scenery is delightful with a beautiful mill pond at the top of the track. The Katas themselves are well set up and surprisingly spacious. We all slept well and had no unexpected visitors at night even though we often forgot to shut our door. We really had everything we needed.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Comrie Croft to both families and groups alike. It was a really enjoyable experience and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gail M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Myself and a large "all female" group of friends shared the Kata experience at Comrie Croft this very weekend. With none of us being "seasoned" campers we were not really sure what to expect but I would highly recommend anyone to try it out. Beautiful setting, great facilities and the most helpful staff, George, Colin and Mark who looked after us wonderfully. The Kata's themselves give a relaxing feeling and served us with a comfortable sleep. Although not a camper, I would not hesitate to return to Comrie Croft.

Room Tip: Kata 3 or Kata 4. There is no pool or fitness centre but there is a lovely Mill Pond.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

Stayed here last week and it was a great little site. A little shop on site with the odd few bits but do your main shopping in crief. We stayed in kata 2 and it was very quirky with its wooden beams and doors however if it hurts your back to bend stay in the disabled kata as he doorways to the other ones are very small and we caught 3 jumpers on them and they all got holes in!! Lovely little pond at the top of the site and loads of woodland trails to wander on . For bike lovers it is the ideal site, they really should advertise and brag about their bike trails far more than they currently do. Outside every kata and pitch there is the option to have an open fire . Had lots of fun making them and toasting marshmallows at night . Inside the kata is cosy especially with the fire on it's boiling!! I'd recommend u bring your own utensils and crockery as it's very basic . Also make sure u store ur food in a right container as we had a mouse visitor in ours!!! Overall a great site with lots to do in the surrounding areas we will definately be back!!

• Stayed June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

This title says it all.. this place is soo great i'm really not sure if I want to tell anyone about it (would love it to be my little secret!). Let me give you the background... me and my boyfriend (24 years and 22 years old) are uni students and therefore any accomodation we choose has to reflect our student budgets! I found Comrie Croft on the Scotland Tourism website when I was looking for something a bit different, it looked great wilderness camping!!! On closer inspection I found that for a nights camping midweek was just £7.50 per person so £15 in total, bargain (especially great news as it was my treat!!). Weather had been terrible so we were unsure whether we were going to go, to help us decide I rang their office and spoke to a lovely and very helpful girl, she was fab gave me info on ground condition, recent weather and the forecast for next two days to help us choose! Good start :) we decided to risk it! Arrived and went sraight to our pitch (as we were arriving after 6pm and reception was closed so we were very trustingly allowed to settle up in the morning!) and what a lovely surprise! Beautiful landscape with unspoilt woods, a
wee clearing for our tent, a fire pit and bbq table and even a wee creek complete with waterfall and swing!!! We were in heaven! BBQ burning, beers open some music playing in the complete wilderness... or so it would seem! Less than 10m away were our friendly neighbours but through clever choice of placing you could not see nor hear them and (we checked!) our music was barely audible!! Checked out the showers and toilets nice modern and clean with a good wash up station, rest of the campsite looks fab too!! Finally the coffee shop was run by polite and helpful ladies with great Coffee!!!
So........... go here, I dare you not to enjoy it, a fantastic site, brilliant for the wallet and a different experience that will definitely please!!!

Room Tip: Go woodland rather than meadows for an experience different from generic campsite camping!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kayleegauntlett
Fife, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Having stayed at Comrie croft on many occasions from the start of opening it has indeed come such a long way. The development has started really taking shape. If you want the best camping experience this is the place to go, having a fire when your camping makes it truly wonderful and I don't believe camping is camping without a fire. Only a few negatives which I would like to see get better is over my last couple of stays I've found reception staff to be quite rude and cold and I've never had that before, before they would go out there way to help where as I've felt almost like I was getting in the way when recently requiring. The first time i went the staff were a massive part to me returning as I felt so welcome- so come on guys smiles back! I also understand there must be a limit to how many tents aloud in however times I've called for a 2 man tent and told there's no room has been quite frustrating there's a massive peace of land where I'm sure they could squeeze you and go that extra mile. Lately seen a lot of tiredness in the toilets these used to be so clean and I feel there hasn't been extra time taking on them, I understand on bad weather days it's hard to keep up but not in dry weather. Other than these little things the place is amazing and well worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Indeed20
CrofterAndrew, Owner at Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thanks a lot for your review and I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay. We value all your comments and while all the positive things do help put that smile on our face, the things that we need to improve on help make sure we avoid these negatives in future. I would really appreciate if you could contact me (Andrew) as a little more detail on a couple of these things would really help. But in the meantime...

I am sorry that you didn't receive the jolly welcome and friendly helpfulness that we like to think is part of our DNA at the Croft. I must admit that we were a little short-staffed at times over the past few months and that this has put undue strain on one or two of us. We are now back at full strength and will be having a session together about how to provide good friendly service even if we are not having the best day ourselves. I hope you'll be back again soon and see us all genuinely enjoying serving you.

On the question of squeezing in an extra tent - this is one that we have thought long and hard about many times. What we are trying to do is keep the relatively low density, "wild" nature of our camping and keep the pressure on the toilets/showers to a satisfactory level for all our guests. We probably get more than double the number of people wanting to come as we have 'pitches' most weekends. So we draw a line and try to stick to it so as not to devalue some of the main reasons that people like coming here. We are almost finished installing new compost toilets to further reduce the pressure so maybe next year we might increase the number of pitches. Meantime, if you can, book well in advance for weekends.

I'm also really sorry the toilets were not up to scratch. We work pretty hard to keep them sparkly, so again we'll be looking at what went wrong on this occasion and acting to improve things. I can tell you that the ceiling in there has just had a fresh coat of paint.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback and I do hope we'll see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Ardeonaig Hotel
Ardeonaig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardeonaig
Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro

Been to Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping? Share your experiences!