What a beautiful part of Scotland. Kata 1 was a bit of a hike up the hill but the seclusion made for a relaxing weekend with just the right amount of attentiveness from friendly staff. Facilities were plenty for this time of year - 2 showers, 2 toilets and a wash area between the 5 katas, pretty well maintained. With particular attentiveness to recycling and reuse (a plus for the eco conscious) and a well stocked shop with local produce and eggs from the on-site hens. There were walking trails dotted around the hillside, a small pond, a lovely local village nearby (5/10mins by car) and a variety of wildlife. We suffered a little on our second night due to the wood on the wood pile being damp which made lighting a fire a big struggle (essential at this time of year in frosty temperatures.) While someone looking to do a spot of 'glamping' may find the Kata's a little basic, we found them to be adequate, cosy and charming. A massive draw for this site is the bike trails, we had a fantastic day touring the slopes which went from beginner to extremely challenging. The handlebars were not tightened on one of the bikes we hired which almost lead to a pretty nasty accident but the bike was swapped and extreme apologies were made when it was brought to the attention of staff (we hired the bikes on a Saturday/Sunday and due to late arrival picked them up on Sunday which threw the staff off and meant a shop member of staff had to deal with their hire.) The biggest draws to the site would be open fires, fresh eggs, beautiful scenery, wildlife, eco-conciousness and quirky Katas. All in all a fantastic place to stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Comrie Croft, the friendly wee farm on the edge of the Highlands. We offer great value in the great outdoors! Stay in the farmstead with private ensuite rooms and the friendly camaraderie of a hostel. Or experience natural camping with access to hot showers and facilities: bring your own tent or hire a Swedish kata with a bed and wood stove to keep it cosy all year round. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping Hotel Crieff
- Comrie Croft Eco Hostel And Camping
- Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping Crieff, Scotland