“Fantastic campsite for the kids”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crieff
Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping
Renfrewshire, United Kingdom
“Fantastic campsite for the kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed one night on a Saturday, 2 dads with their lads who are both 5 and were away camping for the 1st time. The site had everything that you could want for a real camping expience, the fact you can have a real fire is the winner in my opinion. We were on the hill and we had so much space between all the tents with fantastic views across Perthshire. Staff all very helpful and polite as were all the other campers we met, this gave the place a warm and safe feeling that you were amongst decent folk-no litter or neds that we saw thankfully.
Never used the tea room or much else as went to Crieff for a few pints and to watch the football in the afternoon while the kids played pool. £9.50 e/w in a taxi and not really worth the bother tbh. I would definatley recommend this site without hesitation and will be going again next year.

Room Tip: Try the pitch on the hill if you are not fussy about being near toilets
4 Thank MWRD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I camped in the woodland here at Comrie for the sept weekend 2012.We couldn't rate the campsite any higher.We arrived after hours to find the staff had left us intructions and a map of where to pitch(greatly appreciated.)the staff are so welcoming.The woodland camping area is secluded enough to give you a wild camping feel,but within easy reach of clean toilets and showers(2 mins walk through nice woodland paths.)camping in the woodland area also brings great shelter as well if the weather turns for the worst.There is also a nice little cafe and shop on site that is very reasonably priced.On site there are a number of routes for walking and mountain biking as well.What was most appealing to us was the allowance of a log fire by our tent(we took our own wood,wood is available on site for purchasing.)excellent for the old marshmallows.we had a sneaky peek at the Kata's too while we were there,next time we stay here I think we'll be giving one a bash as they look fantastic.Judging by how busy this campsite was for the sept weekend I would probably look at booking for next Year well in advance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew R
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

My friends and I booked some of the Katas at Comrie Croft for a weekend and had a fantastic time. The setting was beautiful ('in the wild' but close enough to the bathroom!), the katas were well-equipped and the staff were friendly, helpful and laid-back. Will definitely be coming back here again. The only thing I would say, however, is that if you're booking the katas, try get the ones in the woodland, as the one in the camp site, while great for it's accessibility, gets a bit swamped by tents if it's a busy weekend.

Room Tip: Get the katas in the woodland - the one next to the stream (Kata 3) was a great spot!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sas1982
Anstruther, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here on the 7th & 8th of September (me, my partner, 2 friends and our 2 kids) the place is great!! Can’t recommend this enough to anyone who wants to try camping!

We stayed at the Lower Meadow which is closest to the toilets, showers and shop etc. This was very handy and the hot showers are very good, as long as you don't mind the occasional spider! I never knew this until I got too Comrie Croft but you can hire a locker which has a socket for hairdryers, phone chargers etc. This is one of the few places you can make your own fire and supplies are available for this from the shop.

Overall a lovely place to stay and great if you have kids, can't recommend this enough!

Room Tip: Lower Meadow is closest to the Toilets, Showers HIgher Meadow & Woodland Camp are quite far awa...
3 Thank Thrupp87
Leven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We went to Comrie Croft on Sept 7th for a weekend camping trip with our son and our best friends and their 2 boys. This campsite had everything you could ask for, even a fridegfreezer to keep your food cold, well that's what I will say, but most importantly it was to keep the beer and wine cold. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the boys loved the bike track, by the time we left they were clearing the jumps by miles, they are 7,9 and 10 years old. There is a huge woodland to go for a walk during the day and in the evening we all sat around the camp fire which you make yourself by purchasing wood from the shop or by collecting it yourself in the woods, this really gave a brilliant atmosphere. There is also a lovely coffee shop selling home baking. I would recommend this campsite to anyone with kids.

2 Thank Steven H
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Being a middle aged softie, I was a bit apprehensive about staying in a hostel. But a relative was getting married there, so we booked in to the bunk house for 3 nights. And what a great time we had. Prior to arrival, the staff were extremely helpful. My husband and I were coming by bike and I was bombarding the Comrie Crieff staff with emails about our journey/route months before we came. Every email was answered in detail (and with humour) by Andrew. The route he gave us was - shall we say - an adventure, but we made it anyway, albeit a little wet and muddy (but quite proud of ourselves after our 'combat cycling', as Andrew called it).
The hostel is very well done - tasteful (we noticed someone had been to Ikea) and as un-instututional as a hostel can be, due in part to their lovely carved signage. It's also very very clean.
What stood out most of all was the dedication and knowledge of the staff. They bent over backwards to help us. They know all the best places to go in the area. They recommended a local bus which carries bikes (the Breadalbane Explorer), they even told us where to get on and off for the best day out. We had a fantastic time cycling down from Glen Ogle, thanks to Comrie Croft staff.
The cafe is perfect (loved the china cups) with a priceless view.
The shop is well stocked with just the right things. And they lend you binoculars so you can see the ospreys.
Our sons particularly loved the BMX track.
I understand Comrie Croft is a fairly new venture. I sincerely hope they do well. I hope also that they manage to find a way to make it more easily accessible to cyclists and walkers - I know they are passionate about achieving this - as the A85 isn't much fun to ride on, and the 'combat cycling' route might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Thank you, Comrie Croft staff, for your outstanding hostel and campsite.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kormachameleon
Rhu, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We booked here for 2 nights during the week though had such a fab time we stayed an extra night.

As I had never camped before I was a little wary coming on the trip however coming to Comrie Croft, I need not have been.

On arrival we checked in at Reception and was given a warm and friendly welcome. We were given a small simple map and was told which pitches were currently available to us and told to have a walk around and see which one we preferred to pitch at...This may be the norm for campsites but I liked this anyway.

If you need it, there is a number of wheelbarrows you can use to shift your stuff from your car to the tent (you have to park in the carpark once you've unloaded,but it's not far away at all. )

We pitched up in the woods and it was peaceful and really enjoyable. Those few that were camped close by were further enough away from you so as not to bother you but still close enough if you fancied a natter.

You can get a map from them for 50p of their estate showing some good walking and biking routes and you can purchase another from them for £3 of the local walk and biking routes. We done a number of the walks over the days and had a really fab time (apart from my ill fitting boots causing blisters..top tip: test your new boots out before you go camping and walking haha)

The shower/toilet facilities and dishwashing areas were all clean and tidy and had a constant supply of lush hot water!

You can buy kindling from them for only £1 a bag and also a bag of wood for only £5..You are welcome to take your own wood with you but this is ideal if you run out....or if you stay an extra night -)

As for the bike park......it's not just for kids....I have a mountain bike but only ever used it on the road....my boyf is the mountain biker and he took me on their park at Comrie to learn some skills and get some confidence...I loved it, he had to drag me off at the end of the day, great fun.

Overall impression from a first time camper? Brilliant, will defo be going back again real soon and would reccommend this place to anyone, young or old, experienced or not!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynzieh1980
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
The Royal Hotel
Murraypark Hotel
#2 of 3 in Crieff
The Achray House Hotel and Lodges
Loch Tay Highland Lodges

Been to Comrie Croft Eco Hostel & Camping? Share your experiences!