1,123 results
All reviewsrooftop restaurantdrummond suitelady macbraynelady mary suitesunken bathbar menusteam roomfirst classswimming pooldeluxe roomrisottofour poster bedseparate buildingthe main hotelthe general managerleisure facilities arerelaxing break
Reviewed January 10, 2010

What a fab find! PURRFECTION!! If you don't enjoy this you then you missed the point!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank claud29
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Wow what a nice words,thank you claud29.What else to say -breathtaking and we will be more than happy to welcome you back again.

Reviewed January 4, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions over a period of years when it was Roundelwood health spa. It was the most fantastic place where people would repeatedly travel from all over to experience its spa packages and delicious food. Unfortunately roundelwood was poorley managed and advertised and eventually due to financial difficulties was taken over by the new management who have renamed it knock hill.
Knock hill is an overpriced 'dime a dozen' hotel. The food was appalling. The chef has a penchant for olive oil and everything was swimming in the stuff. ( I overheard a fellow guest ask the waitress if the person making the food was actually qualified as a chef or just 'helping out!')
I was SO disappointed with my stay. Will never return but will keep happy memories of the once fabulous, one of its kind 'roundelwood'

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
20  Thank KezScotland
jasonhenderson_8, general manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2010

I am Jason Henderson, the General Manager and Head Chef of Knock Castle Hotel and Spa.
I am very disappointed that you never enjoyed your stay here. We have recently undergone a huge refurbishment since the change over from its former self and we offer all of the original packages and much more. I myself do the cooking with over 15 years of experience as a chef and I find it strange that you did not enjoy the food. I do realise everyone has different tastes but if someone wants something different we are very flexible with the menu and try to cater for everyone wherever possible. We recently received a review from Richard Bath from the Scotsman where he awarded us 8/10 for the quality of food. We will strive to continue to improve our quality of food and service and apologise again for your poor experience- if there is anything else you feel we can improve on Id be delighted to hear from you.

Reviewed December 19, 2009

We planned to go to Crieff Hydro but they warned us that building works were going on. It's a pity Knock Castle didn't inform us that building works were going on there too when we booked.
PROS:
Perthshire is a lovely area to visit.
There was a good view from the room window.
The bed was comfy.

CONS:
When we arrived the room was newly decorated but small. The fresh decor initially distracted from the poor standards of hygiene. The cups had obviously not been washed but had been 'wiped' going by the swirl of dried in coffee or tea at the bottom of the cup. There were greasy fingerprints all over the glasses. I mentioned this to the receptionist later. She apologised. In the showerroom the toilet was discoloured, which was strange as the showerroom had obviously been recently refurbished. I cleaned it myself with the toilet brush and it returned to white. It had obviously not been cleaned properly for quite some time.

Our 'executive' room was directly below the new rooftop restaurant that was due to open the next weekend. Loud banging, heavy-sounding equipment being moved around and heavy footsteps started at 8.50 on Saturday morning and this was still going on as we left to go out after breakfast. We informed the employee at reception, before breakfast who responded with a vague, "I don't know what that could be. Nobody should be up there" Before we went out, we asked her to come up and hear the noise for herself - she declined. We had to go down to ask this as the phone repeatedly rang out. When we were going out for the day, we complained about the noise again and asked how long it would be going on for, as we had decided to leave if it was going to continue for our stay. She said she didn't know. At that point, the refurbishment was almost finished and when we mentioned that the noise was likely to be a problem for future guests in the rooms below once the restaurant was open the response was, "I know...I know." We were later reassured that the builders would not be in the next day.

The soundproofing in the part of the hotel that we were in was apparently nonexistant. Sound carried from the room next door to the extent that despite our neighbours being very quiet, we could hear them cough, move around and have a conversation.

The staff were mostly young and seemed a bit confused most of the time apart from the girl who greeted us on our arrival. At breakfast there was a bit of waiting around. There were small niggly things that on their own would not have bothered me that much - multigrain toast ordered, brown arrived on the 1st morning. The next morning the toast didn't arrive at all! No coffee refill was offered. The waiting staff were not around to ask for more. There were no plates, only cereal bowls at the self service breakfast area for croissants etc. The breakfast on the 2nd day was better than the 1st. On the 1st day, the cooked breakfast portions were small.

The dinner was nice enough but the service could have been better.

In the hotel info guide in the room the owners claimed that they wished to know what they were doing well and what could be better. In short, they need to get their act together. This hotel is overpriced and poorly managed. Too much went wrong for it to have been the responsibility of any one employee. Customers should not be expected to pay while they practice trying to get it right.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
19  Thank hotelhopper111

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention.
I can only apologise for the development work going on here at Knock Castle Hotel and Spa in a bid to improve the experience and quality of our resort.
All of our customers were originally to be moved to the Castle rooms for that weekend. Unfortunately this could not happen and we had a deadline that we had to meet and the noise disturbances were related to such which we can only apologise for. I do wish I had been able to speak to you personally at the time so as to rectify your opinion of our resort. We have never had any complaints about the cleanliness of the rooms before- indeed, my housekeeping staff are excellent and I myself go around the rooms on a daily basis to check all departments with my managers to ensure the very best of standards are met and maintained at all times.
I have addressed the consistency of breakfast and can assure you that we do not vary the quality at anytime. The multi grain bread ran out that morning and I can fully appreciate that you shouldnt be the one affected by that. I have addressed the staff issues and have implented furthur training to improve on this.

If you would like to discuss this furthur or feel we can improve on anything else please do not hesitate to contact me.

sincerely

Jason Henderson

Reviewed November 29, 2009

Oh dear or dear oh dear !!
Visited the Spa with my mum having bought the vouchers as a present and let me tell you its the worst experience of my life. My mum and I visit Spas all over the country and wouldnt go back here even if you offered me it for free. When we arrived we were taken to the locker room which would hold a handbag and thats about it. If you had brought a gym bag with bits n bobs you have no chance of getting it in. Then we were taken down to the relaxation room. This was a freezing cold room with someones old wicker conservatory furniture. We were then shown where the room with the robes were, however this was locked and the girl had the wrong key. We then had to go outside of the hotel in the pouring rain to the pool, sauna and jacuzzi and was told that there would be a member of staff to meet us. When we got there it was communal changing rooms with lockers that were again the size of a shoe box. There was no member of staff and I had to pull the cover off the jacuzzi. The two plastic sunloungers were at the side of the pool, one of which was broken and nearly cuased my mum an injury. On getting back in the pool I spotted a huge dead spider at the bottom of the pool which really put the icing on the cake. We then had to get showered and changed and make our way back across the road to the hotel in the pouring rain and back inside.The gym is a tiny room with a couple of pieces of old equipment and not even worth putting your trainers on for. There are no bags to put your soaking we costume in so we had to take a shower cap and wrap them in that. At this point I was ready for going home. I spoke with the manager and informed him it was like faulty towers and he assured me the pool area was meant to be like a tropical rainforrest. MMMM i guess he has never been to one. It was more like a delapedated conservatory. The lunch was average and despite being offered more wine and free dessert which we decided against we thought the treatments might be better. The two staff had been phoned and asked to come in due to the fact the last two beauticians had left (i wonder why). We had paid extra for a pedicure. The rooms were freezing and when using the shower to shower the body scrub off it was freezing cold and not much fun. We were offered free use of the egg machine which is for massage, however by this time we wanted OUT. Our treatments hadnt lasted as long as they should and were sub standard for a spa. Again I spoke with the manager who initially offered no refund on the pedicure, however did offer us a voucher to stay at the hotel, which of course I refused so we got half our money back for the pedicure only. Never again will I visit this horrible, cold, damp place, and would suggest that those who enjoy spa days take note, and I mean take note. The manager states that he has taken this place over and is spending money on it. Please please please believe me when I say this is the worst experience Ive ever had in my life and I wouldnt say I was a hard person to please. Im sure there will be a "managers response" to this but there is nothing in the world that would make me go back here again. BE WARNED !!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009
19  Thank JennyBGlasgow
jasonhenderson_8, owner at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2009

as anyone who has been to the hotel knows it is far from a cold hotel ,the
lockers are of a standard size being 15 inches deep 15 inches high and 12 inches
deep and like i said on the day if thats not enough you are able to store your
belongings in my office or one of the hotel bedrooms .the chair i can only aploigise
again for as things do break and there is noway i could have forseen that happening
.the girl using the wrong key well she is only human ,the spider yes there was and
as you know it was removed as soon as it was made aware of it,as for the other
therapist i would love to where you get you information . the hotel has undergone a tremendous refurb and my
customers are made aware that it is a continual programme of improvement you were
offered a refund but clearly wanted more which you got,horrible cold damp hotel that
can not be further from the truth

Reviewed November 28, 2009

we stayed just one night in Knock castle, it is a georgeous building, but as others have noted there is a not so great extension which we were in. The room was adequate but small and not very opulent for an "executive" room, nice bathroom, although no bath but a nice power shower.
Dinner was average, a great menu and the chef is obviously trying, but the quality was just not there. Bread was not baked! but dough. Pigeon ok but overcooked, cod with herb crust however had just damp layer of herbs on my cod with no "crust". The quality of the ingredients was good though, nice bit of cod and excellent venison for my hubbie. Chocolate pud and cheese plate were good also. They do have a good cellar with a fair range in prices, but the port at £10 a glass and puddie wine at £7.50 is a little steep.
I did not have any treatments but did visit the pool, it is a little like a public swimming bath, not very luxurious and you have to leave the hotel and climb down a fair few steps to get to it. However did have it virtually to myself which was pleaseant.
Overall impression was they are trying hard and have some nice touches, but not quite at the place where I would expect it to be.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple