“Superb stay - rest relaxation and great food! ”

Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

First time away with the wife without the kids for many a year! KC was the perfect retreat for us as peaceful ( no kids anywhere!) Had a great welcome & was shown to a magnificent suite ( The Drumond). Amazing bathroom in a turret and an extremely comfortable bed. we spent the afternoon in the 3 acre garden enjoying a cool crisp bottle of white wine before having a swim jacuzzi and steam prior to dinner.

The evening meal was quite superb - sitting in the roof top restaurant as the sun set. Would def recommend to anyone looking for an escape to somewhere that has all those little extras delivered with a personal touch and serves up really good food! We will be back!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MCGlas
Jason H, Front Office Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear MCGlas,
Thank you for taking the time to wright such a lovely review about your stay, we are so happy that you had a superb & well deserved break with the family. We look forward to welcoming you back to Knock Castle.
Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is a difficult place to review because our stay began amazingly but ended very badly!

We booked 1nights stay with dinner bed and breakfast and a spa treatment each.

The massage was lovely. Our room was beautiful. The food was delicious and the staff were friendly (with the exception of the first receptionist we met who was rather rude).

Unfortunately our romantic break away at Knock Castle was ruined when we had the displeasure of meeting the owner/manager Jason Henderson.

We queried our bill while checking out as it appeared to be substantialy more than we were expecting to pay.

The receptionist was unable to work out what was wrong so called on the help of Mr Henderson. From the offset he was confrontational and rude. He seemed unwilling to listen to us, implying that we were trying to get somthing for free and he then had the audacity to brand us as 'trouble'.

Mr Henderson was unable to see that we had infact been overcharged by £120!

We eventually got a refund a week after our stay when I had made a phone call and sent a couple of emails.

Two weeks after our stay we are still waiting for an apology!

Mr Henderson appears to be a Jekyl and Hyde character.

I am sure you will have a pleasant stay at Knock Castle as long as you do not question anything or have the misfortune of meeting the owner.

We will not be making a return visit!

• Stayed: April 2014
18  Thank MEForbes
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

I am very sorry you feel the customer service was terrible and i am very sorry you felt it was Ok to swear at the receptionist , when i arrived at reception after the receptionist came to me nearly intears i did try to speak to you in regards to the bill but i was met with more swear words which im sorry but i really do not feel is acceptable in any Hotel .
I do admit there was a mistake on the bill which was later corrected but this could have all been avoided if people didnt feel its ok to be abusive to Hotel staff.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed there for 1 night, great location for a bit of piece & quiet but not to far from things to do, the food was fantastic, the rooms are done to a high standard too,the staff are friendly & helpful, would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you Iain M for taking the time to leave a Fantastic review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay, we hope you will return & possibly stay longer next time.

Kind Regards,
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa Team

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Had a fantastic time Jason and the staff were so helpful food superb rooms were amazing the kids loved the pool they did not want to get out the wife and I are so chilled out very relaxing cant wait to go back

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear perfectScotland,
Thank you very much for taking the time to put a comment on Trip Advisor about your stay, we are very pleased that you all had a fantastic stay & do hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We booked this 4* hotel as a treat and didn't get off to a very good start. It was a nice hotel but for a hotel of this calibre for me there were rather too many irritations for it to be on a par with others I have stayed at.
I was a little disappointed with the location of the hotel it is in a residential area rather than out on its own somewhere in the countryside. That said, it is in its own extensive, private grounds.
We were allocated a room in the lodge rather than the main hotel, you have to let yourself into the lodge (actually a converted house further along the road) through a scratched and tired looking front door. Our room was well furnished but had a large ugly watermark on the ceiling. To access the main hotel you had to make your way out of the 'lodge' building through the house dining room and kitchen ( very strange) and make your way along a gravel path for approx. 200 metres. The receptionist had informed us that the main hotel was only open until 11pm and then the door would be locked if you wanted to gain access after this you had to make your way along to a key coded side door . I certainly didn't feel particularly welcomed by reception staff and at no point on initial check in were we offered help with our bags or to be shown to our room. We did complain and were immediately offered an upgrade to a beautiful room in the main hotel. However, I did find it unusual that there was no mini bar or fridge in the room to keep the complimentary bottled water cold, especially since you were forbidden to bring any food or drinks into the hotel to consume in your own room at risk of a £20 corkage fee! Also rather worryingly the beautiful roll top bath in the bedroom was located right next to the electric sockets and extension leads for the television!
The swimming pool and leisure complex was located outside the main building in a conservatory type building. The gym we were informed was closed but the steam room also appeared to be out of use on our visit. The pool was a fair size and the sauna was good. The changing rooms felt more like a local authority facility than a luxury complex and they did appear to have an issue with an infestation of insects in the pool and especially around the jacuzzi.
The roof top bar and restaurant had breath taking views of the area. I did have to ask for a clean glass from the waitress as the glass my drink was served in was so dusty I could literally have written my name in it! The food was good and the service was pleasant. Portions were fine (except butter appeared to be rationed) and breakfast was excellent. Try the Drambuie porridge, it was lovely.
The lady on reception when we checked out was charming and gave me the warm fuzzy feeling I had expected when we checked in but unfortunately didn't get.
All in all we had a good stay but little irritations niggled when you were paying 4* prices.

Room Tip: Make sure you are NOT in the 'lodge'. The main hotel is much nicer.
8  Thank Helen688

I am very sorry you did not like the location of the hotel but i am a little confused as it we do not market the hotel as it being alone in the countryside.
It is on the edge of the very picturesque village of crieff as it does state on the website.
I am sorry you didnt like the lodge but at the time off booking and on the website the lodge has a good description of what it is and where it is.
I am sorry you didnt feel welcome and can assure you that would not have been the case as the staff here i feel are all very nice to the guests.
We do not feel the need for mini bars at the moment as we offer rooms service to be able to offer a better quality without the traditional mini bar prices.
I am sorry you didnt like the fact we dont allow people to bring in their own food and drink to the hotel but i am sure you are aware this is very common throughout the industry.
In regard to the electric cables in the room they are all made secure to health and safety .
The pool is in a separate building and the gym is not closed as it has just been refurbished, but you are quite correct the changing rooms are under refurbishment and i can only imagine how you came to that conclusion as the old gym has been closed due to the first stage on the new changing rooms.
I am glad you did overall enjoy your stay and do hope you return

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had a brilliant time in this gorgeous hotel, we felt so relaxed from the moment we walked in. All the staff were so friendly and couldn't be more helpful. I treated myself to a hot stone massage which was just heavenly. I then enjoyed a swim, jacuzzi and sauna which were also very relaxing. The meal at night and also breakfast were lovely, great food and amazing views from the roof top restaurant. We relaxed with a film in the evening in the mini cinema! We were able to bring our dog to stay with us which is great and the staff were very laid back about having her in all parts of the hotel. We had some nice walks around the area, Crieff really does have some stunning scenery. The grounds of the hotel are also very picturesque. Overall a very chilled stay and I would say if you are choosing between here and the Hydro, Knock castle offers a better relaxing environment with a more personal touch. Thank you and I would love to come back!

1  Thank Emma M

Dear Emma M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to wright a lovely review. I am very pleased you both enjoyed everything we have to offer here at Knock Castle. We will be more than happy to welcome you all back to stay with us.
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa Team

Reviewed April 11, 2014

My Husband & I stayed at knock Castle on our way home to Aberdeen. Absolutely stunning. The staff were fantastic, hotel is spotless, quality of room was outstanding. The food was excellent. I had a facial in the spa wonderful. one of the best hotels we have been to and definitely the best room ever. thank you so much to all the staff at knock castle. Will definitely be going back .

Room Tip: I would recommend the Drummond suite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Esther K,
Thank you for your wonderful words, I will pass to all staff.We are glad that we met your expectations and we will be more than happy to welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Murraypark Hotel
#8 of 17 in Pitlochry
Dunkeld House Hotel
Dunkeld House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dunkeld

Been to Knock Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!