“Relaxing family break”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Relaxing family break”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at Knock Castle for a 1 night family break with friends. We were delighted with our rooms having spent the previous night in a uncharacteristic Holiday Inn, and felt that the extra money was worth it for a touch of luxury.
The hotel seemed to be full but at no time did it feel to be busy or overcrowded. Our kids all enjoyed spending time in the swimming pool and we didn't feel that anyone was being disturbed by them (unlike the pool at the previous hotel).
The grounds of the hotel are lovely, not much for children to do but there is a fantastic park in Crieff, just a few streets away which we spent all afternoon at.
All in all, a lovely family break for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jude s
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear jude s thank you for all nice comments. It’s great to pamper yourself a wee bit and have nice that which as you saying you had and we are glad your kids enjoyed a time at leisure facilities. We will be more than happy to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
Portree, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

my husband and I spent a glorious 3 days celebrating our golden wedding anniversary in June at Knock castle hotel and spa ,we were pampered by all staff and Jason the most amazing chef made us a fantastic cake!! our celebration meal was had with our daughter and friends in the Oak restaurant and it was truly amazing! the atmosphere and ambience of the room was just right and it takes a lot to impress us as we have been there and seen that!
So,we were very delighted to experience all the hotel had to offer and will certainly be there again very very soon ,well done Jason and staff ,

Cynthia

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cynthia l
Thank you Cynthia I for all nice kind words. We are glad that your celebration went well and you were happy with your event. As I remember you had all aspect together nice weather and after all as you saying a great time so what else to wish.
Glasgow
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have quite mixed views about Knock Castle,I stayed here with a friend at the lodge. The room had fabulous views across Crieff hills beautiful. The room was dated to say the least. The spa was not like any spa I had been too again a bit dated and seperate to the main house . Fine on a nice day but in the rain or cold not so great. Grounds were lovely as was the walk back to the lodge.

We dined in the restaurant, there was a toilet just outside the restaurant and I could actually hear people at the toilet which was off putting during your dinner. Not much of an atmosphere and the chef came round every table to talk to everyone when service was finished. If I was dinning at Gordon Ramsays I may have welcomed this ! Dinner was ok but its not celebrity chef status. My friend and I decided to share a cheese board at the end of our two courses. We were asked wheither we wanted white or red grapes or a mix, we were literally handed two red grapes when we asked for a mix. We choose to see the funny side of some of these issues but at over £8 for the cheese board I don't think this is great value.
I am stunned after staying an a number of occasions at Crieff Hydro that Knock Castle is currently ranking higher on trip advisor, Crieff in my opinion is in a different league. I'm recently back from a stay at Stobo Castle which was second to none and for virtually the same price as my stay all in at Knock Castle. I felt Knock is overpriced and not the relaxing Spa experience I had hoped for. As we were checking out the chef/owner was arguing with a customer who was complaining about their experience and was clearly not taking on their point at all, there is a touch of the Basil about his customer service from what I observed. An experience not to be forgotten possibly not for the reasons I would have wanted.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
20 Thank Happyhols12Glasgow
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
well what can i say another suspicious review from nearly a year ago, and suspiciously similar to the one above i can only imagine that you both clicked each others helpful votes lol.
now lets see hmmmm now the chef walking around the restaurant asking how the guests dinner was to ensure everything was ok and take on board any points they have and you somehow turn that into the chef thinking he is a celebrity now that is just bizarre but i suppose the fact that your trying to plug the crieff hydro and stobo makes sense now,
Inverness
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights food was excellent staff very good there was nothing that wasn't too much for them :) would highly recommend to anyone for a short break or a long stay, golf break or even just for dinner ! The dinners were epic !

I don't normally write reviews but I was disappointed to read a couple of negative ones about here I can only assume that they don't get out often or are better suited to staying with her majesty at the palace of a weekend when not complaining about nothing !

Well done to Jason and his team keep up the good work ;)

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Murph1Inverness thank you for your kind words be honest made me laugh and we are glad that we can still see some honest people
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Where do I start ! The whole experiance totally excellent , we spent the night in the castle delux room it was so fantastic very worth the money we were so pleased , and the food ! We enjoy our food and did not know which menu to choose from such a treat just choosing , the meal we had was superb Jason the chief so talented , we are most certainly going back , just a luxury can't recommend enought , staff so attentive and professional

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Vodaphone thank you for your nice review. It’s really pleasure to read it and we hope to see you soon to treat yourselves for a dinner, or even some spa treatments as well.
Lanark
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We booked a two night mid week break in a standard room, on arrival we were given all the information we needed by the very helpful receptionist, we asked her if we could have a look at some of the superior rooms and she went out of her way to show us round all the available delux rooms and suites, each one different but all had the "Wow" factor. We made the decision to stick with our standard room simply because we don't spend too much time in the room and secondly because we did have a fantastic view.

After checking in at reception we were given a voucher for a free cocktail which was a nice touch. We then spoke to a guy with a lovely German shepherd puppy who put us at ease right away, he was very down to earth and we thought he was a guest at the hotel, we were surprised when he offered to have our breakfast delivered to our room and was later to find out he was actually the owner.

Dinner was excellent, the rib eye was cooked to perfection and all food was served piping hot. A large glass of wine was under £5 and a bottle of beer £3 which we thought was reasonable. All meals were served in the rooftop restaurant, it has a relaxed atmosphere and we could have sat there all night just taking in the amazing view. Breakfast was served 8 am - 10 am and had a vast selection to suit all tastes, the waitress was very polite and attentive, nothing was a bother to her, my husband said she looked like a wee Stacey Soloman.
A large building beside the hotel housed the swimming pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub/jacuzzi, and gym, all of which were free for you to visit at your leisure between 7 am- 10pm, I was lucky enough to get the whole place to myself at one point brilliant! The gym also has a great view over the hills, one negative about the gym is that some of the equipment wasn't working but still enough for a workout.
This hotel has splendour but we felt free to use it as if it was our own home, this is not something we have felt at any other hotel and we can't praise the staff enough for making our stay memorable.
Hope to return soon.

Room Tip: The suites would be great for a special occasion but the standard rooms are comfortable too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cookieliz thank you for a nice long review I really do appreciate that. I am happy that your stay exceed your expectation and that everything was ok with your stay. But if you will be planning to come for a special occasion or even just for a meal please do not hesitate to contact us.
Inverkeithing, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We arrived here to celebrate our first anniversary together, I was really excited to really treat ourselves and after checking out locations within an hour of our home I came across Knock Castle and the fabulous reviews on here.

I quickly found their Facebook page and then also found they had an eBay offer allowing us a £60 discount on the Dinner Bed and Breakfast package which brought it to £259 for the evening - not cheap by any standards but given that it was to include dinner bed and breakfast for two we felt it was reasonable. We booked one of the castle suites and thought we were in for such a special evening.

I was kinda wrong.

The room itself was fine but there were several brown stains on the carpet, the area around the bath was dusty, it was scattered with rose petals so I can understand they maybe didn't want to move them but its not what you want to see when you're pampering yourself. Anyway from there we went down to attend to our pre-booked treatments... only my therapist didn't turn in for work, so I couldn't have my Indian Head Massage as planned, not a major beef so I changed to back and shoulder massage. What it did mean though was rather than both of us being away for half an hour with different therapists, I had to wait on my boyfriend and then vice versa and the waiting area there's no getting away from it, the "spa" needed a massive make over. I agree with previous comments, it was very medical waiting room. I must say the therapist was lovely, she definitely made the best of the tired environment she had to work in and the treatment itself, although not what was booked, was good.

We went up to the rooftop bar expectantly to redeem our "cocktail" vouchers... they get away by the skin of their teeth calling it a cocktail if I'm honest. It was served in shabby glassware and wasn't at all the sort of cocktail you would see outside of the 1980's. In fact the decor all the way through the Rooftop was shabby... finished off with a cracked window. Worst of all, there is just no atmosphere.

Dinner was ok, the fillet beef was lovely, but the jus was incredibly over powering, the dauphinoise was clearly reheated and still a bit cold and it was all just a bit... Meh. Breakfast wasn't much better, you're given the choice of what you want from a cooked breakfast, I had said I only fancied the sausage, mushroom and poached egg, thinking that they would probably give me a little extra of each because I hadn't asked for bacon etc.... I was wrong. Tiny portion, sausage not great and egg only still white and snotty in the middle... Oh and there was no haggis or beans on the menu, just a small thing but so odd for a Scottish breakfast menu?

Such a shame, because the place could be spectacular but.... it just wasn't.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Sarah M
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review Knock Castle Hotel and Spa. Your comments have been noted, and we hope that you will find an opportunity to visit again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Murraypark Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
Cromlix
Cromlix
#1 of 1 in Kinbuck

Been to Knock Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!