“Pure luxury”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Crieff
Lochgilphead, United Kingdom
“Pure luxury”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed in the Knock Casle Hotel in December as part of my Christmas present. On arriving we were upgraded and were allocated a beautiful room with a king size bed, fluffy gowns and slippers and a bath situated in the bedroom in front of the window (which was on 2nd floor so no-one could see in but we had uninterrupted views of the snow covered hills. I had a massage which was very relaxing and the we went for a swim and sauna before an excellent dinner in the rooftop restaurant. The staff were amazing and all in all it was a terrific experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rangers1956
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear rangers1956,
thank you for your nice review ,we are glad that part of your Christmas present was very good and hope you will come back soon so you can have another good experience with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Polish first
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Very pretty location for the castle and well thought out use of the space in the room. The bathroom within the castle tower was a really nice surprise.

Food was excellent, The starters and main courses were delightful and sadly did not have any room for desserts, albeit, they looked very good! A 5 star review

We only had the one night there, would of loved to have stayed a lot longer and will no doubt return in the future

2 Thank Rob G
Dear Rob G,
Thank you for your very nice comments and that you had amazing stay and hope next time you will come back for longer stay to treat yourself.
Otley west Yorkshire
Reviewed November 30, 2012

As the title suggests. I got an excellent deal however instead of staying in the main castle, this time I was in the Lodge. I have to admit I was a trifle disappointed not to be staying in the castle itself, however it did say this on the booking form ,so I could hardly complain. It was a very nice walk indeed through a woodland path back to the castle some 300 yds if i recall correctly on the board.This is uphill however, hardly the south face of the Eiger, but nonetheless a bit of a pull perhaps for more elderly visitors plus then there is some fairly steep steps up to the castle. The Lodge is very nice indeed, as nice if not more so than the castle itself, with it's own very comfortable lounge with large TV, open fire and reclining leather sofas, perfect after a long day on the road and endless meetings. The Evening menu is a little on the expensive side and a rather lacking in choice if i'm honest although I don't doubt the quality for a second, I ate from the bar menu on this occasion which was excellent quality and better priced. Finally the Gym, Sauna etc. which might not be the best out there, but it was clean everything worked and time slipped away in the Jacuzzi. Would I stay again? Yes. I've stayed in much more expensive hotels than this and I like what they do here, oh and if you do have a "wee dram" after dinner and why wouldn't you? Either spend a while in the Piano room ( I only wish I could play more than chopsticks) or the small snug just up from reception. Gin and Tonics were made for such things

Room Tip: The Lodge is excellent look on last minute for a deal my room should have been £130 but I got it for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank game_richard
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us Richard and we will be more than happy to look after you.
May i just point out we have 4 menus to choose from the bar being a choice of 6 starters 6 mains and 6 desserts also we have the menu of the day which is 3 starters 3 mains and 3 desserts price being £25 for 2 courses and £30 for 3 and then we have the a la carte again 3 starters 3 mains and 3 desserts all individually priced which in total gives 12 starters 12 mains and 12 desserts i can only think that you were not given all menus which is a large pull for our guests as they can bounce from menu to menu not having to stick to one menu for the evening giving the guest a larger selection.
Im happy that you enjoyed the piano room as it is one of my favorite rooms please on returning contact me personally where i would be happy to look after you and even cook you something off the menu as i regularly do for some guests
Scotland
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Really disappointed with our stay at Knock Castle. Our room was in the lodge and not good value at £110. The finish and detail was budget from the curtains that wouldn't close, the beds with exposed bases and un-ironed sheets to the Ikea mugs for tea (labels were still on the base). My main concern was a couple of safety items - a plug-in airfreshener which was empty but still switched on, a fire hazard and an electric kettle switched on but empty and as a result was switching itself off and on. None of the appliances had electrical safety check labels. But what made me really angry was the note in the bathroom stating that we had 2 towels each and if any were missing when we left, we would be charged - I've never seen that in a quality hotel. Also, watch out for the bill, they charge 2% for using a credit card - again I've never seen that in a hotel - even the small B&B we stayed in a week earlier did not charge for credit cards. All these things could be very easily sorted and wouldn't cost a lot; maybe then the accommodation would live up to the high standard found in the restaurant.

21 Thank Videoeye
Im very sorry to hear that you never enjoyed your stay with us and you will be happy to hear that the lodge will be upgraded to a castle deluxe standard in early 2013
i can only apologize in reference to the airfreshner plug ins and i have implemented a new procedure and training to ensure this doesn't happen again.I am sorry about this as this is why i removed your drinks from the bill and the bottle of wine which i thought you were happy with at the time.
The hotel P.A.T testing is done annually and i have records to back this and can only suggest that with high usage and moment some may have fallen off but i have recently gone round and any that never had has been retested and stamped.
We do have a sticker in the bathroom yes but it says about our green policy and how we care about the environment and how to leave them in the bath or shower if you would like them replaced and if not to hang them up and since alot of people do tend to take a souvenir we do state that if towels or bathrobes do go missing they will be charged which i dont think is unfair.
And yes we do charge a 2% handling fee on credit cards and 4% on amex which is to cover bank charges as it mentions on the website on our terms and conditions.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

A beautiful entrance area and friendly receptionist got our stay off to a great start. The castle is maintained to a high standard and the rooftop restaurant and bar has attentive staff providing guests with some fantastic food and drink.

The leisure facilities are a short walk down some steep steps with a well equipped gym, lovely pool area, and steam and sauna rooms. With a glass surround it is the ultimate in calm and relaxation. My only negative point on the leisure facilities is that it was unmanned - I had a query and tried to dial '0' as directed by the sign, but after the 5th attempt of the phone going to voicemail I gave up. It wasn't urgent and the girl on reception was easily able to answer my query when I asked her in person, but if it had been something more urgent the caller would have had to wait.

With hindsight, had I stayed in the castle itself, this could have been a very positive review. Unfortunately this isn't the case as the Castle Lodge (Loch Leven Room) is in need of some TLC (furnishings are badly marked, rug stained, ceiling damaged, twin beds pushed together and covered by a sheet which didn't fit over the mattress, no covering on bed base, mugs chipped, volume on tv doesn't work). Individually all minor points but in a room which was spotlessly clean and with beautiful views the combination of these things did put a bit of a dampener on the stay.

Despite my negative comments on the room, the stay overall was good and certainly great value for money in light of the excellent food provided.

Room Tip: Book a room in the castle itself.
1 Thank Elamor
Thank you Elamor for taking the time to provide us with some feedback.
I have spoken to the reception team about trying to answer all the calls as effectively as possible but sometimes we do receive a high level of calls which we try to answer all as soon as possible.
The castle lodge is an more old fashion style that is currently being refurbished early 2013 and has been on our list to do since we took over and they will be done to a castle deluxe style which i hope you can return to sample
edinburgh
Reviewed November 24, 2012

After an evening stay at Knock Castle, I can confirm that I will definately stay again. The staff were extremely attentive and warm and the room I stayed in was perfect. It was spotless and the extras across the room and bathroom (for example, stairs leading up to the bath with a serious view) were lovely.

The castle has ticked all boxes for me and I recommend a stay for anyone in need of some relaxation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Im very glad that you have a wonderful time with us foxycesca and we would be more than happy to welcome your return soon
Glasgow
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We are just back from another stay at Knock Castle and had a good time. Initially we were given a room in the Lodge but as there were problems with the room we were moved to a room within the Castle which we much preferred. The staff were as friendly as ever and in particular Linsey on reception gave us excellent customer service as she resolved the issue with our room very efficiently. The food was again of excellent quality and the Rooftop Restuarant is lovely with great views over the area. We can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason H, General Manager at Knock Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you Irene for taking the time to review us and i am very happy to hear you were well looked after. I will pass your comments to Linsey who im sure will be delighted. Please contact us directly on your return where we will be more than happy to look after you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crieff
Murraypark Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,729 reviews
Knockendarroch Hotel & Restaurant
Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro

Been to Knock Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!