“Birthday Visit”

Ranked #4 of 27 Crieff B&B and Inns
London
“Birthday Visit”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed a memorable stay at Merlindale. Our room was charming and hosts Jackie and John provided a friendly welcome and excellent service. My wife and I were recommended to stay at Merlindale and we weren't disappointed.

Room Tip: Get in early.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank pierre1212

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

where do we begin..........I write this some two weeks after our anniversary weekend was ruined at Merlindale.

We booked to come away on the 21st Sept, to celebrate our Anniversary, unfortunately two days before we were given some worrying results of tests my husband had had, showing a shadow on one of his lungs .Regardless of this we had painted on the smiles and had had positive mind set for a beautiful relaxing, romantic weekend in Scotland. We were greeted by a foreign, well mannered and polite young girl who showed us to our room and gave us the two keys we would need for our stay - one for the front internal door and one for our room door, gave us some brief information and discussed what time breakfast would be served.

We had booked this bed and breakfast after reading the right up on the website about the luxury you would receive and the previous, positive comments on trip advisor which had been left.

Unfortunately on the first night we came back at 11.15pm we were locked out, it was a freezing night and our anniversary and we couldn`t quite understand why this had happened, after all it wasn't late !! After standing there for some 10 minutes or longer and ringing the bell several times an older lady came down, let us in and said "oh this happens sometimes"... at that I said but it shouldn't, should it?? At this stage i believed this person must of been a familiar guest and was just relieved even if annoyed as we were both cold and most anxious that we could of had to sleep in the car!!
The following morning we were more than surprised to be greeted by the same older lady at breakfast who said "sorry about last night, I`ve found the culprit she said with a chuckle......it was my husband. He said he thought every one would be in so had put the latch on!! Not exactly how we thought the matter should of been treated! we were then asked what we would like to eat. We requested the full Scottish breakfast as this was our first trip to Scotland and we had been told about the apparent gorgeous tatty scone, black pudding and white pudding it included..........this did not arrive and in actual fact we received a full English breakfast with a couple of potatoes included....strange?

The following night we were going out to meet friends of ours who lived in Glen-eagles and were both quite anxious that the same thing could happen to us both again, and relieved when we turned the Key in the door and it opened!

I must add that although the bathroom we had was beautiful, there were no floor mats......these were towels placed on the floor in front of the sink, bath and shower area. Unfortunately all towels were faded, tatty and plucked and not what would be expected of a 4* B & B.

When it came to checking out on the morning of the 23 rd September i discussed our issues with the young girl before paying our bill as i did not feel we had received the level of service we should have done, the girl was unaware of the incident in question (being locked out) and understood totally our position. She advised me that maybe it was best to just pay for one night and come to an agreement with the owner when she came home from her holiday, in Turkey. After some time the young girl decided to ring her boss (the owner) as she didn`t know what else to do. At this point we were anxious not to disturb these people and our feelings were made aware about this. However the call connected and the girl in broken English passed the phone to myself in order to discuss with the owner of Merlindale our upset...........what came next i will never forget!!!
I was asked what did i want! I calmly explained what had happened that weekend and she shouted at me "I have been left out on doorsteps for longer than 10 minutes before.........i will ask you again what do you want?" i was totally in shock!! i said i was looking at getting the first night understandably reduced as it had really affected our anniversary weekend as we had both wondered if we were going to be able to get in the following night too and she screamed at me down the phone line, "take the £90 off for the first night... whatever but don`t you ever show your face here ever again!" At this i put the phone down, in shock i cried at the disgusting way i had just been spoken to by the owner. I own my own business and wouldn't dream of speaking to one of my customers in such a manner!! after all the likes of myself and others pay for her holidays to turkey! Totally appalled by the owners disgusting and rude attitude I have to leave my feedback on trip advisor! Be aware of this so called lady`s fowl mouth if there is any problem. Disgusting treatment!!!!!!

2 Thank cheekyface_11
MerlindaleCrieff, Owner at Merlindale B&B, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Firstly let me say I had no idea that your husband was not well, this must have been most disturbing for you but as you say I was in Turkey!!!!!!!! However I would like to point out a number of aspects of your stay at Merlindale. Firstly, yes, you were locked out ( a complete oversight) but according to both the “older lady” (or my manager), and another couple who were in on the same night, it was not 10 minutes but 2 minutes between the doorbell ringing and the front door being opened.
I must also point out, that as you had informed my staff it was your anniversary the dining room stayed open for only yourselves an extra half hour to accommodate you for your breakfast times on both days, and not just the day after your anniversary; surely this alone is enough of an example of our dedication to service.
As regards my bathroom linnen, this is an item maybe you should take up with Dunelm Mill as all our towels and bath mats are the latest ones for this summer. If you feel they were faded I suggest you check out their colour catalogues. As for being tatty and plucked, I find this hard to believe as we maintain an extremely tight quality control on all our products and I have searched throughout my linen to find such items…I also find it amazing that nothing was said on the first morning after you were shut out but you waited until my manager had gone to church i.e. 36 hours after the incident to raise a complaint. Finally in conclusion I feel that a night without charge is more than ample compensation for being shut out due to a complete oversight. I have had been in business for 17 years, being Michelin rated for the past 7 , won best B&B award for Perthsire, and numerous other awards for my dedication to service and standards.
Yours is the FIRST negative comment I have ever had, and anyone wishing to ascertain the true standard of our establishment only needs to read the previous 49 positive comments
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our stay at Merlindale was great,comfy beds,excellent facilities and a superb breakfast.Mine hosts John and Jackie made us so welcome.We were in Crieff to attend awedding and only one word to describe our stay at Merlindale, faultless.Many thanks. Peter&Moira.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Yesterday I experienced a bird of prey event - out of this world. I had booked in to the Merlindale B&B, for my wife and myself, thinking it was adjacent to the bird centre - however the event location had been changed to Bridge of Cally just north of Blairgowrie - we were, to say the least, dissappointed.
However I arrived at the Merlindale and was overwhelmed with the warmth of the reception we received from Jackie. The quality of the rooms, both public and bedrooms, are superb and the bathroom is to die for. We thought it could not get better until we went for breakfast and met John, who officiates in the dining room and provides a very warm welcome in the morning, introduces all who are staying and serves a breakfast fit for a king. On departure it was like leaving well known friends.
On arrival we asked about local eating places - Jackie recommended "The Lounge" in the town centre. We tried it - hospitality was very warming, the meal superb and the price very acceptable.
Would we recommend the Merlindale? - DEFINITELY - if you don't go you will never know what you are missing. Likewise with The Lounge - 10/15 minute walk from the Merlindale.
I know one thing for sure - we will be back.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Merlindale offers everyone young and old a nice and relaxed approach to their stay in Crieff and Perthshire.
Rooms were very comfortable and exceptionally well presented including little extras such as fresh fruit, chocolates and selection of toiletries to pamper oneself.
A wide variety of choices for breakfast including a personalised "cooked breakfast".
We returned to Merlindale after fifteens years when we had originally stayed for our honeymoon. It was delightful to receive the same warm welcome from John and Jacky and hope that we will visit again as it is an excellent location with plenty to offer.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We found this delightful B and B quite by chance -- what a happy accident!
Beautiful rooms, thoughtfully equipped, with lovely additional extras - a bowl of fruit replenished daily, and delicious chocolates too!
As many others have already mentioned, Jacky and John go out of their way to make their guests feel at home, and they gi e the impression that nothing is too much trouble.
We have no hesitation in recommending Merlindale as a lovely place to stay, if you find yourself in that neck of the woods.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw looked imaginatively decorated and welcoming.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Lovely and immaculate B&B. Rooms were spacious and bathroom with roll top bath and shower were bliss. Breakfast were delicious, particularly the homemade jams/yoghurts. Would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple