“Really relaxing few days”
Review of Gleneagles

Gleneagles
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Auchterarder
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely few days here in the middle of January - to coincide with the snow!

The course looked lovely covered in the white stuff and my trip around the Famous Grouse distillery was very good, followed by some tasting.

Not a huge amount to do given we had two elderly grandparents with us who struggle to walk but had I have been with just the girifriend and dog then it would have been even better.

Hotel itself though is lovely.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Alex,

Many thanks for the kind review - I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay in our 'winter wonderland' in January, and your whisky experience in Crieff.

I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Mike Swazdba

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My sister and I went to Gleneagles for a ladies' weekend in May 2012. Our weekend destination had to have equestrian and spa facilities. In the end we chose Gleneagles over other destinations, because it was easiest to reach from London. We definitely did not regret our choice. The weather during this weekend was somewhat mixed. We arrived into Edinburgh with an early flight out of London city in driving rain. We picked up a pint sized rental car; to add insult to injury: It's colour turned out to be light green. Gleneagles is about an hours drive from Edinburgh airport, and quite easy to reach. Even my sister and I did not manage to get lost on the way. The moment we arrived one of the porters came sprinting out of the door equipped with a giant umbrella to escort us into the hotel. Luggage and car were immediately taken care of: The luggage was promptly delivered to our room, whilst we did not see the car again until our departure. When choosing the Gleneagles we were at first a bit weary because of its size. I did not really expect any personalised service. I was positively surprised. Throughout the stay I was greeted by name by more or less every front office staff member, whilst restaurant staff did recognise us after our first meal at the Strathearn restaurant and was very quick to pick up our preferences.
We were staying at an Estate Double room in the main house. The rooms are fairly sizeable and somewhat old fashioned in their design; the bathrooms are quite large as well. There is nothing really spectacular about the rooms, but they turned out what they were meant to be; cleaning service in the morning was prompt and efficient.
We had pre-booked riding lessons on two of the days (they tend to get quite busy, hence, make sure you book in advance), and a spa treatment. Equestrian facilities at Gleneagles are luxurious - at least compared to our equestrian centre. The indoor facilities are climatised and the arenas are large. Unfortunately the weather wasn't good enough to try the cross country course, but it is high on my list for our next stay. Some of the horses are school master horses, beautiful to ride and obviously very well taken care of.
I am not exactly a spa expert, which is why I won't comment too much on the facilities. Suffice to say they turned out to be what they were meant to be.
On Saturday afternoon my sister and I found ourselves a bit at loose ends and decided to book into a falconry lesson at short notice (luckily they had availability), and I have to admit the two of us got totally hooked; in fact so hooked that we are going back in a few weeks time to go hawking for half a day. Opportunities to fly hawks yourself will be rare and it is an amazing experience. Hence, if you don't mind that a bird with a beak sharp as a knife is sitting very close to your eyes on your hand, I can only recommend this.
We had dinner on both days at the Stratearn restaurant, as Andrew Fairly tends to get booked out months in advance. Food at the Strathearn was very good in quality, plentiful, but pricing of some dishes was at rip-off levels. Still, choice at decent pricing level is plentiful, hence I am not going to complain too much about it. Staff was attentive, polite and efficient.
Overall, to me, Gleneagles is a bit of a big playground, especially, if one is into outdoor sports; it comes with a price tag (the room rate is going to be the smallest item on the final bill), but the final bill should not be a surprise, as whatever the charge is, is well publicised. We'll be definitely back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Zanina,

What a delightful review, thank you very much. It sounds like you and your sister had a wonderful weekend, and I'm glad that managed to experience so much of what is on offer at Gleneagles during your stay. It was especially nice to read that you may have found a new hobby in falconry - I do hope the half day that you have coming up is great fun!

We look forward to welcoming you both back to Gleneagles in the near future.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is the second time we have dined at the hotel. We went with friends and the food was amazing I had the beef Wellington it was superb. The staff are so attentive but not pushy or stuffy they get it just right. It is expensive but as a special treat worth it. I would say give it a try you will hopefully have a great time. Thanks to Gleneagles again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review of the Strathearn - I know that both the kitchen team and the waiting staff will be delighted to read it. I'm glad that you had a lovely meal with us, and look forward to welcoming you back to Gleneagles in the near future.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Gleneagles because we wanted to dine at Andrew Fairlie's restaurant. Unfortunately, our room was not ready on time but that didn't bother us too much. We went for coffee and relaxed. Service at check in etc was impeccable. We could not fault it. The hotel was extremely hot to the point where, with the radiators turned down, we still has to sleep with the window open.

The room was large and beautifully furnished. Unfortunately, a few things looked a bit tired and others did not work. The ironing board collapsed causing the hot iron to almost land on my husband's feet. Thankfully, he was ok and being the ever practical man he fixed the board. He also fixed the drain that wouldn't work in the bathroon and said that had they supplied a toolbox, he would also have fixed the coat hook that fell of the bathroon door....

I think the most telling thing was that the coffee supplied was Kenco instant sachets! I'm sorry, but if I am paying £500 for a night I would like decent coffee in my room. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and never have I seen this.

Again, I must emphasise that the service was great but the little things that you expect from a 5 star hotel weren't there and left us a little disappointed.

The only reason we would go back would be for the resaurant.

3  Thank Barbara T
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Barbara,

I was truly disappointed to read your comments and would like to extend my sincere apologies for the experience you had during your stay. This is certainly not what we are renowned for, and I have shared your comments with the relevant department heads for review. I am pleased that you found the service impeccable but this certainly does not excuse our shortfalls.

Should you wish to discuss your experience further we would love to hear from you - I can be reached via guest.relations@gleneagles.com

Once again, my sincere apologies.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We've stayed here before and its always a pleasure to return.
Check in was effortless and made very welcome.
This time we were booked into an Estate suite. Beautiful rooms.
The last time we were in a Whisky suite. My small niggle is that I preferred this.
Why? The bathroom. The whisky suite had a separate shower room and bath.
The Estate had a drench head shower over the bath. If mobility was a problem this would not be ideal. The bath was quite high to get into. So Whisky suite wins for us. If (probably when) we return we will remember this.
Main bar a real haven for a relaxing drink with large comfy chairs and a log fire wih great views of the surrounding countryside and golf courses.
Our evening meal in the Strathearn was perfect as always . Scallops, followed by a duck course and a rhubarb fool dessert. Entertained by piano playing. Staff have got the service right. Just enough time to choose and to wait for each course.
Breakfast cannot be criticised as the selection surely will satisfy all.
So another succesful trip (apart from the bath/shower!)...
The best bit of this is the suite treat offer - the luxury of a suite at a reasonable price...

Room Tip: Ask for separate bath/shower!
1  Thank JMMCK

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us - thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences of Gleneagles. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just back from out annual trip to Gleneagles. You need to be something of a masochist to visit in January but despite the vagaries of the weather which meant the golf courses were closed it is still a wonderful place to chill out and they offer very good deals at this time of the year. We noticed during our previous visit that the standard of service which had always been good had got even better and this high standard was maintained during our recent visit. We originally booked for 3 nights but added an extra night as we felt so relaxed and comfortable at the hotel. We dined mainly at the Strathern which was excellent but tried the revamped Desos as well. This area has really been transformed and now offers a very interesting eating experience.
Our favourite location is the bar and surrounding area. They have a fantastic range of whiskies but also produce excellent cocktails, the Mojitos were probably the best we've ever had and the bar staff had a real pride in producing different concoctions for us to try.Came back feeling really refreshed and can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Graham H

Dear Graham,

I am glad that you had a terrific time with us, and that the level of service continued to impress. Your kind comments are very much appreciated, and I will be sure to pass them on the the team - especially to our cocktail maestros in the Bar!

I hope that we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Gleneagles soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My partner and I recently spent 3 days/nights at Gleneagles. It is a hotel that I have stayed at before, but not for over 10 years, and the place only gets better. The staff are so welcoming, helpful and friendly. Accommodation second to none. We dined at the Strathearn restaurant on two of our nights there - amazing. However, we were lucky enough to dine at the acclaimed Andrew Fairlie Restaurant on one of the nights - just out of this world. We also made use of the spa facilities - facials and massages. Clay pigeon shooting in a stunning setting was great fun. A weekend to remember and revisit again and again and again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Estate Room which were all facing front and on the 2nd floor. There is also Braid Ho...

Dear Guest,

What a tremendous review - sincere thanks for your kind remarks about the staff and service. It sounds like you had a delightful stay, and I hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another one in the near future.

Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
#1 of 12 in Auchterarder
Glendevon Hotel
Glendevon Hotel
#9 of 12 in Auchterarder

Been to Gleneagles? Share your experiences!