“Romantic getaway”
Review of Gleneagles

Gleneagles
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Auchterarder
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

From the minute we arrived at gleneagles we knew we had chosen somewhere special. By the time we had checked in our jeep was driven to the car park and the suitcases delivered to our room. The service throughout our stay was wonderful. The rooms very comfortable and clean. Restaurants were fab and the breakfast set us up for the whole day. Many hotels we have stayed have given us the same hospitality but there is something special about this place. I would totally recommend Gleneagles.... Whether it be a special occasion or just a wee break. We intend going back there later in the year. Can't wait.

• Stayed: November 2012
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

I'm glad that you had a lovely, romantic break here at Gleneagles - thank you for your comments about the hotel and staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Gorgeous hotel from the moment we stepped out the car we were treated well although I room wasn't ready and we had to go for a walk whilst it was turnaround. After beIng promIsed a cakk telling us and we had to enquire again if it was ready.
The room was beautiful very clean and spacious. We had booked an early dinner st the Michelin star restaurant. Whaw amazing!!! Expensive but worth every penny - they even sent the half finished bottle of wine to our room along with glasses.
Breakfast was included - self service although if you wanted something if it could be ordered.
We had booked a spa session - they used espa products which were beautiful and the therapist was extremely qualified.
Overall an amazing experience which I would happily recreated every weekend

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank trixi22

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Gleneagles. I am delighted that you had an amazing weeked, and that you particularly enjoyed your meal in Andrew Fairlie - it really has to be tasted to be believed!

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for another treat soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The service throughout our stay was nothing short of outstanding. We ate in three different restaurants and found them all to be excellent, with the steak in Deseo the best I have had in many years (and I eat quite a lot of steak). The decor and ambiance were pretty good, although I would have to agree with Reviewer "kate234" with regard to the condition and comfort of the rooms in the main hotel as being less good than the ones in the new extension. They had an ice-skating rink set up outside the front door and the kids loved it, naturally. We hit the swimming pool at a very busy time so had to wait 10 minutes to get in. We found out on departure that the whole pool & leisure set-up is about to be completely re-built, and we look forward to returning to sample it, and not having to queue to enter.

Room Tip: New extension rooms are better than older ones in main hotel building.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AitchisonG

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, and for your kind comments regarding the 'outstanding' service and food at Gleneagles - I'm delighted that your family had a great stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Gleneagles is a very special place. We had a wonderful time there - playing all 3 world class golf courses, enjoying the first class spa and enjoying various activities in the grounds - walking, cycling, clay pigeon shooting & falconry. Completed by 4 great dining options, Gleneagles is the sort of place where you can have a magical stay doing as little or as much as you wish.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Ryan,

Thank you so much for this five star review, I am delighted you had a 'magical' time at Gleneagles, and hope we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 12th January ,The hotel was fantastic, staff very attentive nothing was a problem.We enjoyed eating here which was not too expensive considering the hotel status.early evening we had a swim in the hotels pool and a dip in the Outdoor Hot Tub 9.30 pm on a cold and frosty January night /we were roasted amazing, later on we enjoyed a drink i the hotel bar nice cosy place,overall first class. a nice touch was the fact the porter/ doorman remembered our names and was a lovely person....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gerardh923

Dear Gerard,

I am so glad that you and your wife had a fantastic stay - many thanks for your kind comments about the staff and service. I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to Gleneagles soon.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I really wanted to rate this hotel 4.5, it's just not quite 5..... Last time I stayed in the modern extension of the hotel and the rooms are far better than in the main hotel. Unfortunately I changed rooms 3 times before getting something half reasonable, although the staff were politeness throughout. The first room was an interior facing room (don't do it!) and basically looked out onto what looked like extractor flue's and was very noisy, almost a travesty to have these rooms when the views are so lovely elsewhere, and the room was not the basic entry level room. The second one was freezing and the third ok. To be fair the bathroom was lovely, large with a huge bath and of far better quality than the room, which was in need of a refurb. The quality of the furnishings and decor throughout the hotel was quite disappointing. Custard yellow and brown walls in the public areas, with royal blue chairs? and the curtains were thin and not at all opulent as I would have expected. Enough of the negativity though, as I still thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The Strathearn dining experience was excellent, tasty food, pleasant surroundings and attentive staff. The dormy clubhouse was also good and Deseo, whilst a little clinical and cold was not bad and the food and service once again excellent. The Spa was probably one of the best I have been to with knowledgeable, friendly and efficient staff. It was a truly relaxing and wonderful experience. All in all where the hotel wins is in the quality of the staff, absolutely everyone I came accross was helpful and polite in the extreme and made you feel very pampered. It is worth going, but perhaps on one of the deals, I don't think it is worth full price.

Room Tip: go for the modern new block, otherwise the very best category you can afford in the main hotel and a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kate234
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Kate,

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us.

I was sorry to learn that you didn't like the room that was originally booked and you felt that you had to move. We always try to accommodate everyone’s preferences and have plenty of room categories to choose from in all price ranges. Please do let our reservations team know your preferred room at time of booking for any future stay, and they will do their very best to oblige, and let you know about any special promotions that we are offering.

I am delighted to read your positive comments about our staff - it's always great to know that they make a real difference. I have also shared your comments with the Spa and the Restaurant teams.

I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed for one night a few days before Christmas. There were a few niggles (spa area looking a little shabby, isn't it time for a refurb? Welcome card and cake waiting for us in our room which turned out to be for another customer, only two dressing gowns provided when the family room was for 4 etc.) but my main complaints are as follows: At 7.15pm we were sitting in the bar (staff excellent) in our evening finery drinking cocktails - and toddlers were running about in their pyjamas. One repeatedly banged her palms against the glass door leading into the reception foyer. One of these toddlers was wheeled through to the Strathearn restaurant in her buggy some 20 mins later. Thankfully she was not seated near us but we heard her shrieks from the other side of the restaurant. This was my kids first visit to the Strathearn - I waited until the youngest was 10 until I brought them here, i.e. until I was certain that they could last the entire evening in adult company without becoming bored and fractious and, most importantly, disturbing other guests. The bar in Gleneagles and the restaurant is no place for children at night-time and provision is made for kids and families elsewhere in the hotel (i.e. the more relaxed family restaurant and kid's teas). It is unfair to strap a toddler into a buggy past bedtime and expect the child to sit quietly while adults eat. The hotel can provide a good babysitting service. We paid for it for years - why can't other people? I'm almost certain there used to be an age limit on kids in the restaurant - think it was 10 or 12. Why has it been removed? At dinner we asked repeatedly for water and none was forthcoming until my husband actually got out of his seat, sought out the manager and complained, fish knives were put out for steaks and we had to point it out, the waiter gave my son a medium steak and my Mother in Law (MIL) a well done one (the wrong way round). Of course this mistake was only noticed after they'd started eating them and we couldn't face the long wait for the new plates to be ordered so they ate them. My other son and I ordered the pork chops with pork belly. The chops were extremely tough. They got my son's starter wrong, serving a melon course off the kid's menu when he had clearly ordered off the adult menu. I had to ask for crackers with my cheese course. Some of the restaurant staff were uncertain and lacked confidence. We found out later that extra staff had been drafted in to cope over Christmas and it showed - service was not 5 star standard. The difference between the novices and the experienced staff was obvious and like light and day. Breakfast was extremely disappointing. Years ago, the whole area by the pillars just in front of the conservatory used to be laid out for breakfast with various stations manned by chefs, e.g. omelettes and waffles, made to order. The spread was impressive and visually stunning. This time, a buffet was laid out in a cramped room adjacent to the restaurant. The only staff to hand was a chef making omelettes to order behind a serving counter that reminded me of school dinners, and a lad carving ham off the bone (on a small table in the middle of the room). The rest of the breakfast buffet resembled a three star hotel and it tasted like it. Someone had rifled through the crackers by the cheese spilling them on the floor and no-one had cleaned them up. The space was too small and cramped for the numbers of people trying to serve themselves and the atmosphere was fenetic and noisy. My MIL was astounded that the hotel had been voted one of the best in Britain. The drop in standards started round about the time the time shares were built, attracting, I presume, a more family orientated clientele and the hotel has tried to accomodate the needs of this group. We have always considered Gleneagles expensive but good value for money because the service and food etc was so outstanding (Andrew Fairlie's restaurant still is). No longer. If we want to spend this kind of money on a hotel, there are much better ones to be had. We did complain verbally and received a verbal apology and a written one was sent to our home address. But the aplogies had a well-worn air about them, we felt the staff were going through the motions and we got the feeling that the hotel was really struggling. It was most embarrassing as we had talked the hotel up to the MIL and we were so disappointed. We will never return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are saddened to learn of your experiences, and also disappointed that you don’t feel your concerns were properly addressed by staff.

Your experience, particularly in the Strathearn, sounds most regrettable and is certainly not up to our usual high standards. My colleague Paul Hughes, our Food & Beverage Manager, has been made fully aware of your feedback and would be very keen to speak to you personally to ensure that your experience is not repeated. He can be contacted at paul.j.hughes@gleneagles.com

May I offer our sincere apologies that you left Gleneagles disappointed – I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel in the future.

Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
#1 of 12 in Auchterarder
Glendevon Hotel
Glendevon Hotel
#9 of 12 in Auchterarder

Been to Gleneagles? Share your experiences!