“Excellent Birthday Treat !”
Review of Gleneagles

Gleneagles
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Auchterarder
“Excellent Birthday Treat !”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Where do you start ? Arrival, Welcome, Check in, Room, all first class. Spent a relaxing afternoon in the spa and leisure club and lovely pre dinner drinks at the bar kept amused by a party of shooters before going down to the Dormy for dinner. Great service food and drink all in all a wonderful experience in every department. Only one serious complaint please bring back the Sherry Trifle ! ! ! Thanks again for a great night. Just about forgot the main event Breakfast, second to none it's a real leisurely feast of first class indulgence.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for a great review - I am delighted that you had a wonderful birthday treat. I will be sure to pass this fantastic feedback around the team (and pass on the message about the sherry trifle to our Head Pastry Chef!).

I look forward to welcoming you back to Gleneagles soon.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

having stayed here 12 months previously with my partner, i decided to treat my mother this year to a stay at Gleneagles this time taking in the ESPA spa.

Arrival: arrived 23/12 - as most of the Christmas guests were arriving this day we were led into the foyer to see a lovely large real christmas tree and the smell of mulled wine, mince pies and an open wooden fire. it was busy but we were checked in quickly and with great enthusiasm by the receptionist and given a run down of the facilities on offer. although we were only staying one night we had full access to the Ice rink specially built for Christmas - with sausage rolls and hot chocolate to boot! plus other things which were going on. however we were on a tight schedule. lunch was required and the Spa treatments were to follow.

although i had booked a Large sovereign room in the main house, we were upgraded to a larger room in the Braid House - more modern but still with the deco/hunting lodge theme which had a large bathroom with double vanity, separate shower and tub. The king bed had been made into 2 twins and there was a comfortable sofa by french windows and a working gas fireplace.

the room was very nice - a tiny bit of ageing and nothing a waxing of the wooden floor in the living part wouldnt sort out.

lunch - we decided to take lunch in the Bar - it was busy but there were tables to be had. Seated I ordered the cheese and bacon burger with fries and mother ordered the roast beef sandwich which came with salad. the food was very good and very reasonably priced for 5 star hotel. the Roast beef sandwich were triple deckers and burger was delicious and the chunky chips were lovely too. all washed down with a couple of Tanqueray and Tonics and we were settled into our day and night of relaxation and spoiling ourselves.

The Spa - having not been to a spa like this previously all i can say i was blown away by it - the spa was immaculately clean, serene and calming as you walked in. the staff were all very friendly. They were happy to take you on a tour of the facilities, steam rooms, arctic scrub, showers, hydrotherapy pool and sauna which can all be used prior to and after your treatment. I opted for the Classic Massage which lasted 55 minutes; mother went for the hydrating facial again 55 mins. we were both extremely impressed - i think i fell asleep at one point during my massage and mother was most impressed with her facial feeling refreshed. We would definitely recommend using the spa if you are staying as it really was top notch.

Dinner - as it was Sunday, Andrew Fairlie was closed which is a great shame after last years fantastic dinner there. so we were booked into the Main Restaurant - the Strathearn. The restaurant looks great - art deco, but a little dark (ambient should we say) but it was also very warm - little too warm. The menu is typical french, scottish with a leaning to the American clientele (steaks etc) and we had trouble choosing what to eat. Things didnt start well with starters but the dinner got better with each subsequent course:
Amazing - The desserts - Venezuelan Chocolate fondant with Marmalade ice-cream was to die for - amazingly good as was the Tarte Tatin with calvados cream and clotted cream ice cream.
Great - the main courses of Salmon and the Fillet beff Rossini were very good, full of rich flavours with both the fish and the beef cooked to perfection.
Good - Coquille St Jacques starter was given the thumbs up although could have been warmer
Poor - I chose poorly for starters - the pigeon with pearl barley risotto was not great - pigeon was tough and cold and half way through i bit into a bit of clapshot which can happen with game but spoiled it really as you dont want to worry about a chipped tooth - but no damage down.

The wine selection was very good and there was no issue finding a bottle at a reasonable price.

Breakfast - again busy and we opted for the buffet, which provided a decent selection of typical scottish breakfast items and again some additional american - although again food was luke warm. there is a choice to have dishes cooked to order which i would recommend and opt for next time we stay as the quality looked better (and came piping hot out of the kitchen)
OJ and coffee was good.

Room - was very quiet and had no trouble getting a good nights sleep.

Gleneagles is a quality establishment - friendly, not too fussy and they do everything to make you feel comfortable. if you like the old country house hotel place with traditional/art deco leanings you will love it here. We will return although I would make sure we stay a night Andrew Fairlie is open as it really is top notch.

Room Tip: a suite is a real treat but the Braid house have larger rooms and a bit more modern
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Foodiefan74
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for this fantastic review - we always enjoy the special festive atmosphere at Christmas, and are delighted to hear such great feedback from our guests. I am so glad that you and your mother had a comfortable and relaxing stay.

I greatly appreciate your kind comments about the spa faciltiies (there's no better place to be on a winter's day!) and the food - it is a shame that you were unable to dine in Andrew Fairlie's this time, but hopefully you will have the opportunity on a future trip.

Best wishes for 2013, and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Gleneagles soon.

London
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We were looking forward to our visit which had been rearranged due to ill health.
We have stayed there many times in the past but this time it was a disaster from start to finnish.
They had booked a room in the wrong part of the hotel despite us having confirmation of our requirements. After sending us to lunch while they made a room ready, we returned after 2 hours to new staff who did not know anything about it and tried to give us the same incorrect room. We finally had to accept a better room but still in the old part not the newer wing.
They also changed the golf booking (due to weather - not their fault I know) but when we turned up for the rearranged golf guess what - no record of our booking.
An extremely poor breakfast was the last straw and we cancelled to rest of our stay!

Room Tip: Rooms are better in the newer wing. In the main hotel it is rather dark and gloomy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lyn B
Dear Lyn,

I am truly sorry that, during your recent stay, we did not provide the usual high level of service on which we pride ourselves, and which you would have experienced during previous visits. Our Reception Manager is looking into the procedures in place, together with our Reservations team to avoid similar scenarios in the future. We understand that this lack of communication, and the other two points on which you commented, caused unnecessary stress at the start of what was meant to be a relaxing break. Once again, I am sorry that you felt that it was best to depart early because of this.

As a regular guest of the hotel, I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future for you to experience the 'real' Gleneagles. When you do return, we would really appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly - alternatively, I would be happy to talk to your in more detail by phone or email. I can be reached on guest.relations@gleneagles.com

Oxfordshire
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have stayed at Gleneagles on a numbers of occasions - and it never fails to impress. We now always make it our lunch stop on our way north for Christmas. We leave home around 5.30 and reach Gleneagles in time to catch a lunch in the enchanting art deco bar. My, this bar blows me away - its timelessly beautiful decor, combined with the peace and tranquility of a first class hotel can only be beaten by the views from the windows - whether the very air appears to sparkle in winter sun, or the dark storm clouds seem to be kept at bay by the grey-heathery hills, the views change constantly and spectacularly with the changing weather. The staff are always impeccably groomed and polite.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Minnie,

Many thanks for this terrific, and very poetic, review. Your description of the hotel and grounds is delightful. Thank you also for your kind observations about the staff, which are very much appreciated.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Gleneagles soon.

Scotland
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Well it was supposed to be special, unfortunately it didn't work out that way.
We arrived in pouring rain at 1.00pm, we weren't met by any porters or door staff and not offered valet parking.
I left my wife with our luggage at the entrance hall whilst I parked the car, when I returned, soaked by this time, she still hadn't met anyone. The hotel was not busy with guests either leaving or arriving, perhaps it was their lunch break!
Check in was ok but still no one had offered to take our luggage, eventually I had to seek out a porter and ask for assistance, when we got to our room he was very helpful. The Score 1 out of 5.

The room was ok but not as good as some other 5 star hotels we have stayed in. One of the bath fittings fell off when I tried to empty the bath. The hair dryer only worked inetrmittantly, obviously a broken cable. Score 2 out of 5.

The leisure facilities are excellent and the staff very helpful. Score 4 out of 5.

We went down to the bar for a pre dinner drink at 5.30 pm our order was taken very quickly by at waitress who then promptly disappeared. The bar area was quiet with only about 10 other guests. We waited 15 minutes, still no drinks despite the number of bar stafff and "suits" wandering arround who totally ignored us not even trying to make eye contact. It must have been obvious to someone that we hadn't been served. I eventually went up to the bar and complained to another waitress who re-took our order and said she would pour them herself. During the hour we spent in the bar we didn't see any of the staff even make an attempt at smiling, We joked that perhaps they had just received their redundancy notices. Score 0 out of 5.

We had a reservarion for Andrew Fairlies restaurant where the food and level of service was absolutely first class. it was like we were in a different hotel. Score 5 out of 5.

After dinner we called at reception to enquire whether they had a guest satisfaction survey or comments card, they appologised, but no they didn't They did take our comments verbally and promissed that the issues we raised would be discussed in the morning.

At breakfast I could not believe how pleasant and effecient the staff were whilst serving a very busy restaurant with the utmost effeciency. Score 5 out of 5.

At check out I again asked for a comments card where I could register my concerns, I also wanted to praise those areas who had provided excellent service. Sorry no cards but the receptionist took our complaints again verbally along with our e-mail address promising that someone would be in touch, one week later still no response, ah well it is Christmas!!

I do hope that management address those areas where their service falls down as this is obviously one of Scotland's top hotels and guests deserve the very best

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mybirthday
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience of staying with us. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken onboard and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with you in more detail - if this is of interest, please do contact me. I can be reached by email - mike.swadzba at gleneagles.com

Glasgow
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Gleneagles provides the best possible service from the minute you make a reservation. Communication is second to none. When we arrived for our latest stay we felt that we were special guests. Staff are so helpful and courteous throughout the hotel. The grand foyer area, the art- deco style bar, the beautiful guest rooms and first class surroundings make it difficult to have anything other than a wonderful experience. We ate in both the Mediterranean and the 2 Michelin star Andrew Fairlie restaurant. Both were excellent. We have been 3 times now and shall undoubtedly continue to visit regularly in the future.

• Stayed December 2012
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and for you kind words about the service and surroundings at Gleneagles - we are always delighted to hear that our guests have had a wonderful experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes,

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed in glen eagles hotel for my birthday, first 1 week then changed to 3 weeks after because it was so good. The concierge was very helpful in booking activities and most were through the hotel, such as fishing. The rooms were very nice and the staff were friendly. In all I really enjoyed this trip

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Alex_Y298184
Dear Alex,

I am so pleased that you had a birthday to remember at Gleneagles - thank you for this great review, and I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Front of House Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
The Achray House Hotel and Lodges
Kinloch House
Kinloch House
#2 of 6 in Blairgowrie

Been to Gleneagles? Share your experiences!