“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Auchterarder
Clackmannanshire
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here for one night with my wife. We paid £225 for a standard room, including breakfast and use of the leisure facilties. We ate at Andrew fairley's restaurant and I have written a separate review of that experience.
Overall gleneagles was excellent - the hotel is very nice inside, and reminded us quite a lot of the Waldorf in New York with what looked like pre- war grandeur. There was only one niggle that put us on a bit of a downer to start. When we arrived we walked into a large corporate group at reception who were all dressed up. We walked in with our casual gear on and we got the 'head to toe' inspection from at least one judgemental member of staff. Nothing was said, but it was unnecessary and didn't start the night on a positive note.
Having said that, we then found all staff to be very pleasant and helpful. Most were genuinely friendly, although a few must have been to an American school of customer service where you get the feeling they are never really involved in the conversation, just going through the motions.
The leisure facilities were excellent, and the member of staff on the desk was very friendly and explained all the facilities to us when we told her we had never been before. Breakfast was good, but maybe not as great as some other reviews suggest. We have friends that regularly drive 20+ minutes for breakfast here, but we didn't think it was quite that good. Having said that I came out feeling well fed and ready to start the day. The room was fine, and had apparently just been refurbished. We didn't spend much time there other than to sleep. The bar was fine, although the hotel was fairly empty so the atmosphere wasn't great.
We will definitely be going back, and next time I think we will book in for something else during the day eg falconry to give us an excuse to hang around this excellent resort for a while longer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Neil,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this vauable feedback - I am glad to read that you had a pleasant stay with us, and will certainly pass on your kind comments (and the 'niggles' you mention) to the team.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here last weekend and were a bit disappointed by the experience. We stay at this hotel regularly but not sure we'll be coming back all that soon. Firstly, we arrived at 3pm and after waiting more than 20 minutes to check-in were told that our room wasn't ready. So we headed to the bar to wait which was ok and to be fair, we were contacted by phone as soon as the room was ready. We got to our room to find a card in there addressed to someone else which always makes you feel like that you have been given a room that someone else didn't want. I contacted the hotel prior to our stay to try and make dinner reservations only to be put through to a line that told me to 'call back later'. After quite a few attempts I e-mailed the hotel only to be told that the only time they had available in the Strathearn was 10pm which is not a desirable time to eat. So we ended up going out for dinner into Auchterarder and had a fantastic meal. The concierge arranged for a hotel driver to take us which was great and the driver, Willie was such a lovely guy. He was telling us how he'd worked at the hotel for 30 years and how much he loved his job which is always nice to hear that places are treating their staff well. He also gave us a bit of the history of the hotel from over his time there which was nice to hear. He also came to collect us promptly which was great. We had breakfast the next morning, had to wait for a table, got seated, waited 20 mins for our order to be taken, longer again for our food to come which was just not good service. Then we came to check out which again took a very long time, our car was frozen from the very cold weather so wasn't so bad as we had to wait for that anyway. Last time we visited this hotel we thought the standards had slipped and this has done nothing to change that opinion. With that said, it is still a lovely place, rooms are lovely and if you can get in the restaurant, food is nice. Best idea seems to try and go when the hotel is not full as when they are busy it is pretty chaotic.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ashleywarren
Dear Ashley,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for the shortcomings you have experienced, not only during your stay but also when contacting us prior to your arrival. I can assure you that your comments have been passed on to the relevant Department Head for review as your experience is certainly not reflective of our usual high standards and does require attention. On another note, I was pleased to read your comments about Willie – he is truly delighted about them – he is a great ambassador for the hotel.

Ashley, I would be very keen to discuss your experiences further - please do feel free to contact me by email on guest.relations@gleneagles.com

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Memphis, TN
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I visited this property with my family after several busy days in Prague and London. We so enjoyed our time here! From falconry, to the kids 4 wheel drive course, manicures, making new friends in the maze etc... It was a welcomed country break. We loved our renovated suite that overlooked the tennis courts-we got to be the ref one day from our top floor room! Our dining experiences were great. From handmade pizzas in the grill, to 5 star dinners in the main restaurant, it was all wonderful. My daughter enjoyed her riding lessons on 3 different days , This hotel does not get the praise it deserves for its family activities, in my opinion-amazing and so friendly!
Service was lovely, allowing for snacks delivered to the room each afternoon, and other special touches. Also, enjoy the 4 wheel drive scenic tour.
Our fishing experience was fun but chilly and rainy-not their fault. They decked us out in the finest all weather fishing gear before we left-what more can you ask for! Awesome stay...;)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank melissamce
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your review - I'm delighted that your family had a wonderful time at Gleneagles, and that you were able to enjoy so many of our outdoor activities. It sounds as though your children had a whale of a time - I am so glad, and will be sure to pass your positive feedback about our family facilities on to the rest of the team.

I hope we'll be able to welcome you all back to Gleneagles soon.

Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Having had a wonderful stay last year I was a bit disappointed with our recent weekend stay here. I had also invited my sister and her partner, along with my inlaws, after raving so much last time.
Check in was slow but friendly. The reception hall seemed to be in chaos and there was no one to help open the door for me pushing a stroller.
Lunch in Deseo was miserable and extremely slow.
We had booked 4 executive suites and while are are impressive, it would have been nice to at least stay in similar rooms. Of course my mother in law got the smallest of the rooms so I'm sure she thinks that was intentional!
Our room had a cot for our baby with a quilt and a bumper along with a baby dressing gown & slippers. A nice touch.
Service in the bar was a bit slow so I can only imagine this was due to the wedding going on elsewhere in the building.
It seemed a bit odd that two of our rooms were given complimentary tins of shortbread but the other two were not.
One of the rooms had torn linen and cobwebs by the fireplace - not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
Breakfast was fantastic the next morning. Definitely the highlight of our stay.
Checkout was appalling and took nearly 30 mins for our entire group. Again this was due to the wedding party from the previous day. I was a bit suspicious of the way the lady at reception swiped my card under the desk but she became very brusque with me when she saw I had noticed. Very peculiar.
I had always wanted this to be an annual trip to a wonderfully decadent hotel but I can't see us doing it again. It's a lot of money for something that barely stands out from the rest.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank AKeog
Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies for your experience during your stay with your family in November. I understand that we have not met your expectations, which is very disappointing, but, with the points raised, understandable.

I can assure you that your recent experience is not representative of the high standard of service for which Gleneagles is known. Your comments are taken very seriously and have been communicated throughout the resort to ensure that the areas which you found disappointing are addressed. We have also passed on your very positive notes about the breakfast, which the team was delighted to receive.

In order to further follow up your experience, please feel free to contact me on guest.relations@gleneagles.com and I would be glad to discuss this matter with you.

Yours sincerely,

Glasgow
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at The great, Gleneagles Hotel on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff are exceptional and really live up to that five star rating. The hotel was very busy and the service remained excellent albeit the check out was painfully slow. Quite comical to see a line of people waiting to check out of a five star hotel. I don't think that should happen. All in all though the hotel rooms are nice and service excellent and that is what you pay for but it has strong competition coming through from other hotels in Scotland.

It was a pleasure to watch the function restaurant staff serving the tables. Absolutely perfect. Other hotels should watch and learn.

Room Tip: Look for an upgrade to a larger room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Gordon,

Many thanks for this great feedback - I'm glad that you had a terrific time with us. You are quite right to say that you shouldn't have to wait to check-out - please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I do hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

There is nothing not to love about this hotel. Escaping the busy streets of London seemed like a million miles away but once we checked in we knew it was time to relax! The spa is simply divine and the staff are the real icing on the cake. I think that enjoying the walks around the courses allow you to really appreciate the scenery and you can even stop at the Club house for a wee glass of something en route.

I have nothing bad to say about the place. I cannot wait to come back!!!

Room Tip: Try the room service!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

What a fabulous review - many thanks. I'm glad that you had a relaxing stay with us - yes, it certainly is a change of pace from London! - and had the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful scenery that surrounds us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Aberdeen
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have stayed at Gleneagles a few times now and it was great to see that it consistently delivers. The hotel was full yet you wouldn't have known it, the service is always excellent yet unobtrusive. We used the spa which is indulgent and my idea of heaven. We then went for a light lunch at the Dormy House.

Our twin room was very comfortable with all amenities as expected. The bathroom was a little eccentric with the bath in the middle of the room, it looked like the plumber had been unable to decide where to put it. Room service was very prompt despite the hotel being so busy.

We had dinner in the Strathearn the service was superb and the food was delicious. We will book Andrew Fairlie next time though, we were a little disappointed that we hadn't been able get a table but that was entirely our fault as we didn't book it in time. The food served throughout the hotel is fabulous though no matter where you eat.

Gleneagles is a very special place where you can be as formal or relaxed as you want and where my expectations for a little luxury and indulgence have been consistently exceeded.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alicia64ABZ
Dear Alicia,

Many thanks for taking the time to review Gleneagles, and for your kind comments about the service and our restaurants. I'm pleased to read that we continue to meet your expectations, and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,

Front of House Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
Ballathie House Hotel
Ballathie House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stanley
The Achray House Hotel and Lodges

Been to Gleneagles? Share your experiences!