“Spa very disappointing all else ok.”
Review of Gleneagles

Gleneagles
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Auchterarder
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My wife hated her massage just a rub and I after 3 days finally got a massage appointment to be told I could not get a deep tissue massage as no one was available. On booking appointment no one asked me what type of massage was available so assumed could do all. That's not the case. Also it should not take 3 days to get one appointment. Far too few operators.
No ac and no humidifiers.
David

Room Tip: We had superior room and our friends had regular room way bigger looking at garden ours tennis court...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Davidcosy
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear David,

I’m very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your spa experience at Gleneagles, and that we didn’t meet your expectations on this occasion. We aim to deliver the very highest level of service, and I’m saddened that you and your wife left the spa disappointed. I would like the opportunity to discuss this in more detail with you – if you wish, I can be reached on 01764 694 332 or on Gleneagles.spa@gleneagles.com.

Best Regards,

Sonia Coelho
Spa Director

Write a ReviewReviews (3,693)

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Came over Jubilee Weekend and had a great time. Arrived with my husband and two teenage children. Check in was swift. Lovely large spotless rooms with view over the hotel and drive.
Me and my daughter were booked into the spa for the afternoon and started off with lunch which was lovely and my husband and son played golf. The refurbished Dormy House was lovely and the shop staff very helpful with kitting my son out with new golf wear.
Had dinner and breakfast in the ?Strathmore restaurant and would highly recommend it. There are lots to do for all ages and all staff you meet are very helpful.
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LancashireRufus
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

It’s terrific to hear that you spent such an enjoyable Jubilee weekend with us – what a glowing review! I’ll be sure to share this with the staff at the resort – many thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. There was a lovely atmosphere around the resort that weekend - I hope that you managed to taste some of our Pasty Chef Neil Mugg’s special Jubilee cake in the Glendevon room (where we were screening the festivities).

I hope we’ll be welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Mike

Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is the second time I have been to Gleneagles and it didn't disappoint! The whole place feels like Scotland and embodies class through and through.

First thing that struck me was the size of the grounds/land they have there - it is huge. The whole place is beautifully maintained. Golf is very much the main theme from the moment you enter the long sweeping drive, and so it should be - it's Gleneagles!

Slightly surprising is the main hotel reception, which for a 5* hotel is remarkably small and personally I think a tad unimpressive, but others may well consider it subtle and unassuming – entirely subjective! However, the service from arrival is first class and we were there only moments before being ushered into the bar for lunch while the rooms etc were sorted in the background.

We were offered an upgrade which we took and all had adjoining junior suites. Given there were 7 of us, the price of we were paying originally and the amount of money we were likely to pay while there, I was slightly surprised the upgrade offered wasn’t complimentary. Instead it was expensive at another £50 per room per night. The rooms were beautiful though and we had a lovely view out of the front of the hotel.

We ate both nights in the main Strathearn restaurant which has undergone a facelift since I last was at Gleneagles in 2005/6. It is now much more elegant but still has an air of old-school hotel restaurant dining room about it. The food was simply fantastic both nights! My only real comments on this front are that for the main hotel restaurant I think it is overpriced £70 a head with wine. There is a cheaper bistro restaurant near the pool area but most will want to eat in the Strathearn, and this is pricey!

My other more substantive comments mirror some other reviews: 1) there are a lot more international staff than when I last visited, I have no issue with that at all but they were not as well trained and often seemed a little awkward with us, and at times there was a language/accent issue where we couldn't quite understand what the staff were saying when explaining certain dishes. A very silly example, but for instance when offering some topping for an ice cream dessert one of our party asked what one of the toppings were made of, the waiter didn't seem to know/understand so I jokingly replied 'it's just generic nutty stuff' following which the waiter quite seriously said, 'yes, it is nutty stuff, sir' - not quite what I expect of 5* service at a £70+/head restaurant, and; 2) my other comment on the Strathearn was that throughout the weekend, both breakfast and dinner, the service was very slow - at both breakfasts despite asking as soon as we sat down, the tea and coffee took 15/20 mins to appear. They weren't busy at all being less than a quarter full and even in most 3* hotels the tea/coffee will be there on the table in a couple of minutes....All in all though, we were there to relax not to rush and the food was quite amazing both nights and at breakfast so none of these points which are entirely subjective spoilt two fantastic evenings.

We used the spa and pool area as well. I remembered this very fondly from my previous visit and I wanted to make sure I used it again. The outside Jacuzzi is brilliant, particularly at night or in the rain and the main pool was warm. There is a colder lap pool too for actual swimmers. In truth, I think the whole pool area looked a little tired; I have been to other 5* hotels who have invested heavily in their spa areas to create luxurious havens. Nonetheless the facilities are excellent.

Lastly, the golf was exquisite and we will remember the experience for a long while. We played Queens, which was very water logged but the course and surroundings are truly beautiful. Still the best I’ve played and very challenging for a higher handicapper. The day was capped off with some clay pigeon shooting - again the facilities and our guide/teacher were absolutely excellent. In fact the chap that took us up and round the shooting range really added to the experience - he was Scottish and knew Gleneagles backwards; much more what I remember of all the staff last time I visited.

Overall a wonderful break in a fantastic luxury Scottish retreat. The 4/5 rating is based on what I believe to be Gleneagles' own portrayed quality standard, against 99% of other hotels it is a 6/5 with ease. With a few small tweaks relating to staff and service and some investment in the pool/spa, Gleneagles would be one of the best hotels in the world - just in in my opinion of course :-)

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful. This time we upgraded to the new wing above the spa area - rooms 520, 522 a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Screddie
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Hi Screddie,

Thank you very much for taking your time for this very detailed review, it was a pleasure to read it with your kind comments about Gleneagles. I'm glad that you had a very enjoyable stay with us and that you found the service to be first class during your arrival experience.

The Strathearn was refurbished quite recently, so it's nice to hear that it's being well-received, it is important to us that we preserve the character of the hotel while keeping up with times. I'll be sure to share your comments with the staff there, and with the ghillies at the shooting school who are always great in sharing their knowledge about Gleneagles and the surrounding areas.

I do appreciate your feedback on the pool area and possible 'tweaks' to service in our Restaurant. We are continually striving to make the guest experience as good as it possibly can be, and so hearing from you directly is very valuable. I will pass this on to the relevant departments to improve the experience even further.

I hope we'll be welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 15, 2012

My golf foursome and three spouses (mine passed) and one adult daughter stayed three nights at this iconic resort about one hour north and west of the Edinburgh airport (EDI - United flies a non-stop between it and Newark). The guys were there to play golf in central Scotland; we picked Gleneagles because we knew it would please the ladies. Sometimes a plan comes together.

Gleneagles' physical plant is superb, and that does not go without saying, because its age demands constant care. We had large and beautifully appointed rooms. The public areas are lovely and have been well maintained. The hotel is not brightly lit by American standards, and some US guests might find it a bit dreary that way, but I thought it was hardly an issue. The grounds are large and immaculate. The resort offers more recreational opportunities than one can consume. It has several high quality restaurants.

What distinguishes gleneagles, however, is the quality of service by upper level staff in both the hotel and in the restaurants and bars. One encounters a fair number of immigrants in the entry-level staff positions, and language issues and a lack of training on the more subtle aspects of service did create some inconveniences from time to time. The upper level staff more than made up for this issue and really deserve special recognition and appreciation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SSCCardinal
TheGleneaglesHotel, Front Office Manager at Gleneagles, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Hi,

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at Gleneagles - many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm glad that you were impressed with your room and the leisure and dining facilities, and appreciate your comments regarding the service.

I hope we'll be able to welcome you back soon.

Very best wishes,

Reviewed June 15, 2012

The one thing that really sets Gleneagles apart from other hotels is the staff. From Lisa at customers service, who welcomes you with a smile and after listening to a few minor issues we had got everything sorted perfectly, to Juan Jose Castillo Castro the Clubhouse grill mamager who tracked us down in the hotel to explain about a minor issue over dinner the night before, I must not forget all the staff at Deseo's who made our last night super special with service and food of the highest quality. If you are looking for that special place to visit that will allow you to relax and recharge your batteries then this is the place. You must also have a look at the Glenmor because like us you will be blown away by the opportunity to be able to visit this haven of tranquility every year at what is not really a kings ransom. Thank you to everyone and we cannot wait to get back up to see everyone in week 46.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Many thanks for your kind words about Gleneagles. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, and I'll be sure to pass on your comments to staff, to Lisa and Juan in particular, and the Deseo team.

Look forward to welcoming you back in week 46!

Best wishes,

Reviewed June 12, 2012

A beautiful place to visit but we found our stay at Gleneagles so-so. They gave us an up-grade to a two room suite which was nice. However, the main (original) building doesn't have any air-conditioning, only a standing floor fan. Also, we heard other guestroom and service room doors slamming that echoed throughout our room and hallways. Surprising, it was more so the hotel staff than guests.

We found the Concierge and Front desk staff inconsistent with their willingness to help. The Bar and Restaurant staff were always helpful and very nice which added to enjoying our meals. The food was great, specially their fine dinning restaurant...one of our best meals in Scotland.

If you're not going there for golf or part of a large group event, reconsider another hotel.

Room Tip: If you need A/C, ask for a room in the new building> However, we were told those guestrooms are n...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brad s
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We visited as part of trade dinner for the weekend. This time we had a room in the original house. It was lovely but personally last time I enjoyed the new wing better albeit further to walk to the bar! Spa was perfect - rehydrated my brain...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
Travelodge Kinross M90 Hotel
Grampian Hotel
Grampian Hotel
#14 of 18 in Perth

Been to Gleneagles? Share your experiences!