“Best restaurant in Scotland!”

Jon and Fernanda's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Auchterarder
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Description: MODERN DECOR WITH MODERN CUISINE.....ROMANTIC DINING ATMOSPHERE FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS SUITED TOWARDS COUPLES AND ENTERTAINING FRIENDS. OUR DRESS CODE IS SMART CASUAL. NO SHORTS CROCS OR TRAINERS.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Scotland!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I go to Jon and Fernanda's every time I go back up to Scotland. The food is always delicious, the portion sizes generous, the service attentive without being intrusive, and it is such amazing value - just under £30 for 3 courses, one of which can be sirloin steak. I went with my mum, sister and fiancé, and as my mum and sister are both vegetarians, Jon made them some off-menu veggie dishes, risotto, and stuffed peppers, which were delicious (but you do have to say when booking that there are vegetarians in the group!). My fiancé and I went for the meaty options, and had pigeon to start (yummy!), then I had steak and he had lamb, both of which were so good we swapped dishes halfway through! you also get a big dish of perfectly cooked vegetables and minty new potatoes, and chips with the steak. the chips are amazing, the best I have ever had. we couldnt all manage dessert, but the frangipane tart was delightful, the sticky toffee pudding was also delicious. the wine list is compact, but with good variety. Jon and Fernanda are the best at what they do, and make an excellent team - Jon in the Kitchen and Fernanda on the floor. I genuinely cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Visited June 2012

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great Meal, Great Value”
Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Escaping the expensive confines of Gleneagles, this is a breath of (reasonably priced) fresh air.

Dining room is very nice, set in an old cottage on the main street. Service brilliant, some of the nicest and friendliest I have experienced anywhere.

Food was very good, we both had scallops for starter which were delicious, perfectly cooked and accompanied by a lovely risotto. Main was also good but not quite to the same standard as starter. I had lamb which tasted nice but was disappointingly a little dry and tough, don't get me wrong it was still a good dish but not brilliant. My wifes steak tasted delicious but was slightly overcooked which was again a littledisappointing.
We finished up with sticky toffee pudding which was brilliant, a great end to the meal.

New York City, New York
“I could eat here every night.”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

If you are staying at Gleneagles and want to leave the property for dinner-this is the place!! It is a quick drive and so worth every mile driven. The atmosphere is relaxing and the food is fantastic. Jon is the chef and came out of the kitchen to introduce himself and Fernanda is the best hostess I have met in years. They are married and Fernanda gave me the "royal" tour. I told her that my son was a "foodie" and she offered to show him their kitchen. The evening was such a pleasure and we hated to leave. Drive quickly to this restaurant even if you are not staying at Gleneagles.

Visited May 2012
“Simply stunning!”
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

What more can I say, the title says it all. I visited Jon and Fernanda's yesterday with my girl friend along with my friend and his wife. From the moment we were welcomed through the door to the minute we left the service was exceptional. I started with the pigeon which was cooked to perfection followed by beef which again was cooked exactly as requested. When it came to desert I simply couldn't choose, the options were great. I joked that I'd like them all and was absolutely made up when the offer to do this was made!!! Afterwards, the chef came to greet us and to thank us for our custom. It's the little touches that make the difference.
Will I be back.........YES.
Am I recommending?

Glasgow, UK
“Excellent food and compeltely magnificent service”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Just back from a lovely wedding weekend in Auchterarder. On the Friday night ten of us ate at Jon & Fernanda's, and what a fantastic evening.

Firstly, in the run up to the weekend we chopped and changed numbers several times, but the response from Jon was never anything other than completely understanding and helpful.

Secondly, we're what some might consider a slightly awkward group (a load of wine nuts) and Jon was very happy to agree an extremely fair corkage charge, as well as providing a plethora of glasses, decanters, ice buckets etc all with a very good grace.

Thirdly, the food itself - frankly it's a steal at the price. Excellent raw ingredients cooked with an understanding touch. Five enormous and yet accurately cooked scallops with a beautifully textured risotto were the highlight of the starters. Medallions of fillet steak in a robust but not overpowering blue cheese sauce were both of outstanding quality (I'm not sure who the meat supplier is but this was proper steak) and serious proportions - two pieces either of which could pass as a smallish main course on their own. Cheeses were well kept and sensibly chosen, and desserts were also impressive, particularly the intense chocolate pots.

The prize for food item of the day, though, must surely go to the not-so-humble chips. Forget the fashionable quadruple-cooked nonsense, these were cut in perfect proportions (not the ubiquitous doorsteps, but also not the string-thin style that lose all internal texture) and I'm pretty sure cooked in the traditional two-stage method but with a light dusting of maize flour before the second frying which led to a beautifully crispy, almost tempura-like exterior and perfect fluffy soft insides. Extra bowls followed unbidded (and uncharged-for) when Fernanda saw how quickly we were getting through them.

I'll mention this only to prove that I'm not entirely uncritical - the only very slight fault I could detect was that the pigeon breast (in one of the starters) could have done with a minute or two less in the pan; still pinkish, but slightly overdone.

Jon & Fernanda as already mentioned were brilliant, but a word of thanks must also go to Jim, the gentleman who looked after us all evening with enthusiasm and efficiency. The piece de resistance in terms of service, however, came right at the end of the evening - unable to secure us a taxi (we had no idea it'd be so difficult, but after all this is a rural area on a Friday night) Jon jumped in his own car and shuttled us back to our hotel! Truly way above and beyond the call of duty.

I live in a not dissimilar (although much less beautiful!) rural part of England and I would kill to have a restaurant of this type in or near to my village, although it would be very bad news for my waistline. May they thrive for many years - they deserve every success.

• Visited May 2012