“beasties crawling out from under the bed”
Review of Glendevon Hotel

Glendevon Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Auchterarder B&B and Inns
Greenock, United Kingdom
“beasties crawling out from under the bed”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

please do not book this hotel. It is not a hotel but a pub with rooms. The bar area was dark when we arrived and the barmaid stopped talking to us when an entertainer appeared. Eventually we were taken up a back staircase on which the carpet was threadbare. After going up and around and up again we arrived at our room which was small but looked alright. We turned round from closing the window to find beasties crawling out from under the bed. As we were upset already as we were not there for fun, but as it was the closest place available to the hospital where my father was dying, we were not at all pleased to see these beasts. We immediately called the barmaid back and showed them to her. She said we would receive a full refund but after phoning her boss we were told that they wouldnt get the money from last minute for 3 weeks and then we would get it from them. We were in no mood to argue so we agreed. We later found out from late rooms that the "hotel" were only refunding one night and were holding on to the other £65.00. This is just a jumped up dive of a pub and would advise anyone considering this place, please go anywhere but there.

Room Tip: no rooms would be suitable all are above a dive of a pub
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank thomas_smillie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I spent 4 nights at this Hotel. After reading the reviews (before I got to Auchterarder) I was glad, that my weekend started on a Friday (the bad reviews ref. Karaoke). I did enjoy the village and the beautiful shops - everybody is friendly in Auchterader. The staff at the Hotel were really helpful and very friendly too; breakfast was great and BIG. The prices are very good. The room was perfect for me (looking out on to the alley) and pretty quiet and very clean. I did hear the slamming doors (the smokers have to go out thru a long hall with several doors), but after midnight it was always very quiet. I can really recommend this Hotel.

remark: I did notice, that the Exit to the alley never is locked, which is probably, because people coming in late do not lock after themselves.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We live in Fife and friends of ours had travelled up from England to a holiday cottage at Callander. We wanted somewhere in the middle to eat so my friend suggested Auchterarder. Just before we left to meet them I Googled for places to eat and was disappointed at the number of 'Bistro Bars' and posh cafes, when all we wanted was some good honest pub grub and a couple of drinks. Auchterarder is so close to Gleneagles that I can only assume it attracts a certain 'Pringled' clientele, you know, those who wear a lot of lambswool over their shoulders and talk too loudly about themselves.
Anyway we made our way there and having arrived ahead of our friends we scouted around for a place to eat. Almost across the road from the Co-op supermarket was a hotel, so we headed there only to be met by a sign on the door saying quite brusquely, "..We do NOT serve alcohol in this hotel..". What kind of hotel doesn't serve alcohol?! No chance of me going in there then but across the road we spotted the 'Mashie Niblick' bar which had a sign saying they they served food so in we went. Guess what? We picked the only day that they don't serve food! However, the young man behind the bar was very helpful and sent us up to the Glendevon Hotel.
Parking isn't easy, it's a small space around the back and someone had stuck a 4x4 in there so inconsiderately that it cost the hotel about 3 more spaces, so we parked on an adjacent street. We walked around and entered the hotel from the front. There were signs for the bar and the lounge/restaurant and we headed to the lounge where we were ebulliently greeted by what I assume was the manager. Very friendly, very helpful, he let us know what was on the menu and then took a drinks order whilst we waited for our friends.
There were a couple of TVs up on the walls promoting forthcoming events, entertainment, Karaoke etc plus adverts for the rooms, which said they were available for as little as £40 per room per night. Very, VERY reasonable given the area. I poked my head in the bar and it was a tiny snug thing which I would have thoroughly enjoyed spending some time in had I not arranged to meet friends for a meal. There simply wasn't enough room to sit 6 people around a table and eat. The rest of the hotel looked a wee bit tired, but there are people down south who'd pay extra for a bit of 'shabby chic'.
Once we were all there we seated ourselves on settees around a coffee table having a chit-chat. We ordered a variety of food and asked for it all to be served at the same time. It arrived promptly, well cooked and piping hot. The Balmoral chicken was excellent, so too the daily special - beer battered haddock, the macaroni cheese very tasty, large portions of nachos, and a superb chilli king prawn. We had a couple more drinks each during our meal and our bill at the end for 18 drinks and 6 meals (of which some were really just starters, which is exactly what we had wanted) was less than £80. Well done Glendevon Hotel!
In the words of Arnie, "I'll be back!"

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel looks adequate and is situated in a lovely village but beware. Our room, although clean enough was situated right above a broken bar door which crashed every time someone entered. We foolishly believed by the time we returned to sleep that night the bar would be shut. Instead we found a 21st Birthday disco going on. it was like trying to sleep on top pf the speakers! Even after the music stopped at about 1.30 am the revellers hung about in the street right outside our window shouting and laughing for over an hour. In the morning we had the option of very basic cereals or a cooked breakfast but this was served in the bar where the party had taken place which had not even been swept properly. We complained to the manager who promised us the owner would contact us. It was the owner who was running the disco. Have since called back twice and have still not been able to speak to him. Add to that the lack of security as there was a side door to the residential corridor which had no functioning lock so anyone could have wandered in. Overall a very unpleasant stay. Don't go, or if you do check before hand when the bar/ function suite is closing first.

Room Tip: Don't be fobbed off with rooms on main road, but doubt if others further back are much better!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lorna K

Travelers are raving about these Auchterarder hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I spent a Thursday night here whilst travelling to meet a friend. When I checked in I was told it might be a little noisy later as they had karaoke that night. When I returned to the hotel at 11pm the karaoke was in full swing and exteremely loud. My room seemed to be directly above the bar and I had no choice but to hear (and feel the beat) of every song. At 12.10 I phoned down to the bar and was told that it would be finishing at 12.30. Eventually at 1.30 the music stopped, to be replaced by an hour of aggressive shouting and door slamming. As I had a long distance to drive the following day I was really hoping for a good nights sleep, but it was not to be! In the morning I discovered that the shower only did cold, even when turned up to it's hottest setting and allowed to run for several minutes. Breakfast was good, although served by a member of staff who appeared to be wearing the previous night's make up and bed head hair. She was perfectly civil, but did not ask if everything was OK. I guess she knew what the answer might be? The room itself was clean, with lovely towels. I just wish that when I made the booking I had been advised of the karaoke night.

Room Tip: Don't stay on a karaoke night if you want a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lincoln426
Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Spent almost two weeks in Auchterarder...managed to get to this bar a total of nine times...tried others but always ended up there. Karaoke noght on Thursday is surprisingly. The atmosphere is generall good...but to be honest its the staff that make it what it is. They are incredibly good at their job and will even spend a bit of time talking to absolute eejits night after night! Specifically girls like Katie, Erin and Amy. A great bunch. I think this place is under rated!

Robert ;)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank robertsspace
liverpool
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed here for one night and couldn't have been more impressed with the staff. We arrived for a late check-in and when we explained that we had to leave early in the morning (just after breakfast was due to begin), we were told that they would make sure our breakfast was ready and waiting for us so that we would have time to eat it! The room was a good size, it was maybe a little bit tired in places but we couldn't complain for one night. As it is basically a pub with rooms, i had been a bit worried on arriving on a Friday night that we might hear a lot of noise, but we didn't hear a thing.
As promised, the next morning our breakfast was ready and waiting, a full breakfast freshly cooked and was delicious. The staff member even kept an eye out for the taxi we were waiting for so that we didn't have to rush our food. Overall, the service was excellent and if we were in the area we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auchterarder
CLC Duchally Country Estate
#1 of 11 in Auchterarder
Smiddy Haugh Hotel
Smiddy Haugh Hotel
#1 of 1 in Aberuthven

Been to Glendevon Hotel? Share your experiences!