“A real treat”

Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Auchterarder
Cuisines: French, Scottish
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Strathearn, the glamorous heart of Gleneagles, is one of Scotland's most sophisticated yet buzzy destination restaurants, recreating the elegance of a bygone era with a theatrical flourish. Silver butler trays are whisked with calm confidence between the grand pillars to your candlelit table, filling the air with the scent of flambéd cognac, whisky, pernod or sweet, caramelised Grand Marnier. Steeped in a rich Franco-Scottish tradition, our passionate chefs bring seasonal, locally sourced classics (the names Thermidor, Bonne Femme, Diane, Wellington, Chateaubriand, crêpe Suzette, and, of course, Scottish smoked salmon echo down the ages) to a smart, convivial contemporary audience. The Strathearn is also the home of the legendary Gleneagles breakfast and Sunday lunch.
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

We ate here whilst staying at the hotel for a couple of nights and despite the price, the Strathearn did not disappoint. The staff were friendly, professional and knowledgeable about the food and wine. The venison that I had was the most delicious main course I have ever eaten and almost worth the whole price of the meal on its own! We're unlikely to be able to return anytime soon due to the cost but for a special occasion this was a lovely treat.

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Dined here with my mum and sister just before Christmas. We were made to feel instantly welcome by the gentleman on the door who was friendly and courteous. Neither my mum or sister had ever tried a fine dining experience and both were blown away, particularly with their scallop and black pudding starter and the house roast. The only wee niggle I had with service was that it was a bit slow with the roast trolley being sat beside our table for 20 mins before our courses were actually served. We killed time chatting to each other of course but after eating very little in "preparation" for my dinner it was just a bit too long a break between courses! Other than that service was perfect with incredibly friendly waiters and a sommelier with first class knowledge of the wines. The prices are quite reasonable for the food quality and portion size given. We were sat in the conservatory area around the corner of the restaurant: positives - nice and quiet with nice view of the lit up trees on the driveway and could still here the pianist who's music was beautiful; negatives - it was a lot darker than the main restaurant and we couldn't see the beautiful Christmas trees, so I think next time I would request a table in the main body of the restaurant to feel a bit more a part of the atmosphere. My other tiny wee gripe - train your staff to take photos!!! No matter how busy you are there is no excuse for 3/3 staff to each take a fuzzy photo each in a different area of the hotel. Very upsetting as all our photos are only of two of our family at any one time. But hey, we will be back so you a second chance next time!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The best breakfast selection I have ever come across, with great service and wonderful views.
Excellent wine list.

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Visited many times and was a firm favourite but Sunday Lunch just didn't tick all the boxes. Changed the time of our reservation but reception of the hotel failed to confirm same, when we entered the hotel and I spoke to the same guy I had spoken to earlier told me just to go the restaurant and he was hopeful all would be ok?? Not a busy Sunday but long delays between courses plus young girl serving bread had little training i.e serving from any side and put my roll on my wife's plate. My wife ordered beef medium to well and we ordered medium but were all served from the same cut. Asked for some more ju and took to long to arrive. Starters were v good and deserts were good as well. Dress code allows jeans which spoils the overall ambiance of a magnificent room, sometimes in special places standards do matter. No sign of an over viewing manager as service kind of drifted along. I am hoping we got an off day. I would compliment the cooks in the kitchen, starters were a work of art. Please Gleneagles invest in your senior staff and they will lead the young. Will return

1  Thank IrishRover7
TheGleneaglesHotel, Manager at The Strathearn, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is with great regret that we have to learn of the clearly less than satisfactory experience you recently had in Strathearn. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for allowing us to address what certainly is not a true reflection of the standards we stand for. Management coverage is indeed absolutely vital and it is most concerning you left us with a feeling that exactly this element was missing. Your feedback has been shared with Adrian Humphries, the restaurant manager, who would very much welcome the opportunity to personally speak to you and of course ensure your next visit is flawless.

With Best Regards,
Andreas Porias
Front of House Manager

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Whether you are eating breakfast lunch or dinner this is first class food served in fantastic surroundings and typifies what standards Gleneagles can give.