Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery

from $13.37
More Info
from $48.38
More Info
All reviews cask tasting single malt great tour connoisseur tour short film guided tour basic tour cask strength dewar family scotch whisky free glass whisky making interactive museum self guided take home take away family history
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have been around a lot of distilleries and this is one of the best from a visitors point of few ( and I enjoyed the tastings!).
I opted for the connoisseurs tasting which included a tour. Booking is essential, I think, as the visitors centre can get busy. The staff were very helpful as I arrived 25 minutes before the tour time. I enjoyed the video presentation and museum, and thanks for letting my wife come around with me ( even though she was not on the tour or tasting). The museum explains the history of Dewar and there is a tablet to take around to use to expand on the information provided. We had some fun guessing the various smells re. the tasting.

The tour, led by Jeremy, who made the most of a bad situation, namely the distillery was shut down as the water supply is being de-silted, was better than most I have been on, and we had the pleasure of seeing into some of the empty mash, and stills.
The production of whisky and its blending was well explained. I was impressed with the dip into the cask for tasting.

I was very pleased I had opted for the extended tasting. I would not normally have tried the blended whisky- not bad at all. Liked the 12 year old, tried the 25 year old.
Enjoyed the single malts. The exceptional cask tasting was something else!! A bit too expensive to buy a bottle, but a great opportunity. I did end up with the 21 year old. The tasting notes were excellent. Thank you for the water and dropper.

The shop is well stocked. The staff were more than helpful in putting together presents for Christmas!

The grounds are well kept. It was a shame visitors were not especially interested in the grounds- the statue of the marching highlander bandsman is well done, the heathers around had great flowery heads. You must stop and see the old stream locomotive to the far right of the distillery as you face it from the main road.

What was to take an hour, turned out to be two hours well spent. You are entitled to £5 off a bottle of whisky if you take the tour. To have five tastings and a sample from a sherry cask whisky, and tour, I thought the cost of the connoisseurs ticket, £28, was actually quite reasonable. There is a cafe on site, and unlike other distilleries my long suffering driving wife was able to get a cup of coffee and something to eat.

I will be going back at some time in the future for further supplies!

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We took the tour with Tom as our guide he was first class, the little film and museum was very good too. However when we decided buy a cuppa and some sandwiches Ross put a spanner in the works and almost ruined the visit. The gentlemen serving us was lovely he explained that as it was after 4pm we couldn’t have a panini but he’d make up a cheese and ham sandwich if we wanted so we chose cold sandwiches (they aren’t cheap at £6.50) only for Ross to come charging over and very aggressively tell our server he couldn’t do that as he had a very large tour coming in and Ross needed him to take that tour not make sandwiches. Won’t lie my jaw nearly hit the counter. I couldn’t believe his behaviour, I almost said forget it I’ll keep our £25 and go elsewhere for a sandwich. Ross seemed to waiver (must have seen my jaw) and said we could have what we’d ordered he was very brusque and unfortunately for Ross his behaviour meant that the bottle of single malt I’d been going to buy after we’d eaten stayed on the shelf. Still I suppose his “large tour” may have bought one instead

Date of experience: August 2019
DewarsAberfeldy, Manager at Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your review - we're pleased you enjoyed your tour with Tom and found the film and museum good as well.
We're sorry to read about your experience in the cafe and we apologise for the way this was handled. We will investigate what happened with the team here as this isn't the impression we would wish any guest to leave with.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We vistited Dewars distillery because my father likes their Aberfeldy single malt I thought it would be nice to take him on a tour. I wasn't expecting a great experience, I was mistaken. We arrived at the distillery with out booking, spaces were available. Our guide asked us to wait around the till as the tour was about to start. We were given Ipads and were shown into the museum, the museum is small but well presented. Our guide, Bruce i think his name is, took us on the tour, our guide was friendly and knowledgeable. We were informed on all aspects of the distillation process. After the tour we were offered one shot from a small selection of whiskies to sample. I was driving so I decided no to try a whisky, our guide made a point of askung if I would like to try one, when i said i was driving I was given a the option to take a miniature to try later. I thought this was a nice touch, I have been on brewery tours where this has not been offered. We were allowed back into the museum after the tour because we didn't get round all of the exhibits due to the number of people who were on our tour. AS far as whisky goes I'm an Island man, I love smoky whisky, having said that Dewar's whisky is a decent drink. I visited with parents not teens, tripadviser has limited options regarding family.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I know nothing about whisky, least of all which I might like or otherwise. I do know a little about wine and wine tasting and hoped I might learn, taste and buy in a similar way.
Soon after arrival I had a strong feeling that we are not the ‘ideal target customer’.
Seems to be a strong assumption that you’ll go on the cellar tour (not cheap in my view). As we have a toddler with us, that wasn’t good for us in any case. Just wanted to taste a small handful of drams and perhaps buy a couple of bottles on the strength of that, plus a bit of informed explanation.
Spend at least half an hour trying to get the attention of staff to ask how to go about this (believe me it’s not immediately obvious). Waited at the bar for some more time. Got bored of waiting, being overlooked and left this grand establishment....
This is all of course just my own personal opinion but I’d like to see less ‘theatre’ and bling (leave that to the airport duty free lounges) and a little more human touch.
Lesson for today - stick to wine in the future!

Date of experience: August 2019
DewarsAberfeldy, Manager at Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to review Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery.
We pride ourselves on offering a warm welcome to every guest and our main space has been designed as an area for all ages to spend time in.
Our small and dedicated team have experienced an extremely busy period recently and we’re sorry that the service you received was not reflective of our usual high standard.
We’d like to find out a bit more about what happened and so if you could drop an email over to us AberfeldyDistillery@Dewars.com with details of the time and date of your visit we’d be grateful.
Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was the nearest distillery to our apartment where we were staying for a couple of weeks so a tour was always on the cards. One of the best I’ve been to and of course Dewars is a big name in the world of whisky. A very interesting history as we saw from the movie at the start and the walkabout thereafter around the museum and then the distillery. Bruce our guide was very informative throughout. Easy place to find near Aberfeldy, plenty of parking and was a lot busier than we expected due to buses full of tourists coming and going. Shop and restaurant on site and the paradise cake is a must if you’re feeling peckish! Well worth popping in if you’ve a couple of hours to spare