Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery

from $13.37
More Info
from $48.38
More Info
All reviews cask tasting single malt great tour connoisseur tour short film guided tour basic tour cask strength dewar family scotch whisky free glass whisky making interactive museum self guided take home take away family history
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We vistited Dewars distillery because my father likes their Aberfeldy single malt I thought it would be nice to take him on a tour. I wasn't expecting a great experience, I was mistaken. We arrived at the distillery with out booking, spaces were available. Our guide asked us to wait around the till as the tour was about to start. We were given Ipads and were shown into the museum, the museum is small but well presented. Our guide, Bruce i think his name is, took us on the tour, our guide was friendly and knowledgeable. We were informed on all aspects of the distillation process. After the tour we were offered one shot from a small selection of whiskies to sample. I was driving so I decided no to try a whisky, our guide made a point of askung if I would like to try one, when i said i was driving I was given a the option to take a miniature to try later. I thought this was a nice touch, I have been on brewery tours where this has not been offered. We were allowed back into the museum after the tour because we didn't get round all of the exhibits due to the number of people who were on our tour. AS far as whisky goes I'm an Island man, I love smoky whisky, having said that Dewar's whisky is a decent drink. I visited with parents not teens, tripadviser has limited options regarding family.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I know nothing about whisky, least of all which I might like or otherwise. I do know a little about wine and wine tasting and hoped I might learn, taste and buy in a similar way.
Soon after arrival I had a strong feeling that we are not the ‘ideal target customer’.
Seems to be a strong assumption that you’ll go on the cellar tour (not cheap in my view). As we have a toddler with us, that wasn’t good for us in any case. Just wanted to taste a small handful of drams and perhaps buy a couple of bottles on the strength of that, plus a bit of informed explanation.
Spend at least half an hour trying to get the attention of staff to ask how to go about this (believe me it’s not immediately obvious). Waited at the bar for some more time. Got bored of waiting, being overlooked and left this grand establishment....
This is all of course just my own personal opinion but I’d like to see less ‘theatre’ and bling (leave that to the airport duty free lounges) and a little more human touch.
Lesson for today - stick to wine in the future!

Date of experience: August 2019
DewarsAberfeldy, Manager at Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to review Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery.
We pride ourselves on offering a warm welcome to every guest and our main space has been designed as an area for all ages to spend time in.
Our small and dedicated team have experienced an extremely busy period recently and we’re sorry that the service you received was not reflective of our usual high standard.
We’d like to find out a bit more about what happened and so if you could drop an email over to us AberfeldyDistillery@Dewars.com with details of the time and date of your visit we’d be grateful.
Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was the nearest distillery to our apartment where we were staying for a couple of weeks so a tour was always on the cards. One of the best I’ve been to and of course Dewars is a big name in the world of whisky. A very interesting history as we saw from the movie at the start and the walkabout thereafter around the museum and then the distillery. Bruce our guide was very informative throughout. Easy place to find near Aberfeldy, plenty of parking and was a lot busier than we expected due to buses full of tourists coming and going. Shop and restaurant on site and the paradise cake is a must if you’re feeling peckish! Well worth popping in if you’ve a couple of hours to spare

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Dewars is a well run, beautiful facility. The water for their whiskey comes from a spring on the property, and has been used since they began. The process of making whiskey was very interesting, and we of course were able to sample some of the excellent product. Their products are blended, and very smooth. I left with a newfound fondness for the “water of life.”

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After booking a tour and arriving at the wrong time the staff went out of their was to move our tour time and help! The tour was a good length and very informational with Zoe! The tasting opportunity was very good and straight from the cask, worth the money and would go again

Date of experience: August 2019
DewarsAberfeldy, Manager at Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We're so pleased you enjoyed your visit and we hope to welcome you back again if you do decide to make a return visit - thank you for your review.