“A Great Winter Warmer”

Aberfeldy Distillery Tour
Ranked #3 of 34 things to do in Aberfeldy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the Dewar family’s pursuit of Scotch whisky perfection in the distillery they built in 1898. Producing the beautifully balanced single malt at the heart of the Dewar’s blend, Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery is the spiritual home of America’s top selling Scotch. Tour the distillery to see how we create the distinctive honeyed richness of our spirit. Access our atmospheric warehouse and learn how we double age our whisky for extra smoothness. Explore our interactive exhibition, guided by our bespoke app. Soak up the atmosphere in our welcoming cafe and Whisky Lounge, and fill your own bottle from our hand-selected casks. Booking online is strongly advised to secure your experience. Free parking and foreign language leaflets available.
Reviewed November 22, 2017

I was taken on the "Cask Tasting" tour which involved being taken round the distillery and shown how the whisky is made before being taken into the cask room. During the tour we were given a dram of tour exclusive whisky, which was a belter by the way, and then taken back to the main building where we were due another choice of whisky.

You are given an iPad at the reception area before the distillery tour takes place and you are shown a short film about the distillery and the Dewar family. You then walk through to an interactive museum where you scan images with the iPad for more information. Both really informative and quite good fun.

Our guide was Richard who was very informative, clear to hear, very open to questions and with a dry sense of humour (not a criticism). I really enjoyed the guided tour with Richard, I learned a lot from it. The staff in general were friendly and helpful and would always point you in the right direction.

Quite a few people who joined our tour hadn't paid for the "Cask Tasting" element of the tour but were able to square the distillery up once they went back to the main building.

A great birthday gift for any whisky lover. Plenty of choice in the whisky shop once you've been around and seen how it's made.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"excellent value"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed November 21, 2017

I got to the distillery a little late, but I ended up having a nice time anyway. Went into the cafe/bar area and did a tasting of three of their single malts, which was lovely. The bartender, Zoe was excellent! She had a lot of knowledge about the Dewar's in general and also about the whisky's themselves. She was impressive and very friendly and outgoing. I can't recommend the tour, only because I didn't go on it, but I can highly recommend stopping in and tasting some excellent whisky!

AberfeldyDistilery, Manager at Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2017

Thank you for reviewing your time at Dewar's Aberfeldy Distillery.

We appreciate you underlining the point that even if you miss out on a full distillery tour, or indeed don't want to do a full distillery tour, you can relax in our Whisky Lounge and let our team assist you in exploring our excellent range.

We will pass your kind comments on to Zoe.

Reviewed November 18, 2017

Dewars provide guided tours of their whisky distillery with engaging & interesting staff that clearly love whisky. We took the cask tasting tour which was nicely warming in the cold barrel storage area.
There is plenty of opportunity for questions & if you forget to ask the staff are more than happy to accommodate you at the bar later.
There is a small museum giving the history of the Dewar family & the distillery which is impressive.
A small whisky & gift shop is on site where you can make some purchases after a sample or two at the bar.

Reviewed November 15, 2017

For over 50 years I had hated whisky....that was until I visited the Aberfeldy Distillery in July 2016!! We took the full tour with tasting and it was here my life changed - for the better! I had a glass of 28 year old Aberfeldy Single Malt and it was the most delicious spirit I have ever tasted - we purchased a bottle of 12 year old which I have savoured and I am expecting another as a festive gift. Great tour, brilliant folks there and, of course, dreamy whisky!!

What a great story Colin. We're delighted to have lit the spark of whisky enthusiasm, and thank you for telling us about it! We hope to welcome you again in the future.