“Great experience”

Aberfeldy Distillery Tour
Ranked #3 of 34 things to do in Aberfeldy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the Dewar family’s pursuit of Scotch whisky perfection in the distillery they built in 1898. Producing the beautifully balanced single malt at the heart of the Dewar’s blend, Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery is the spiritual home of America’s top selling Scotch. Tour the distillery to see how we create the distinctive honeyed richness of our spirit. Access our atmospheric warehouse and learn how we double age our whisky for extra smoothness. Explore our interactive exhibition, guided by our bespoke app. Soak up the atmosphere in our welcoming cafe and Whisky Lounge, and fill your own bottle from our hand-selected casks. Booking online is strongly advised to secure your experience. Free parking and foreign language leaflets available.
Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

A very professional and friendly team ensure you get the most from your visit. Interesting and informative tour, we blended our own malt, had a delicious afternoon tea, before tasting some lovely whisky. Just a short walk from the town, leave the car behind and enjoy the experience!

All reviews
"self guided"
in 10 reviews
"excellent value"

Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

We would highly recommend this place. Really enjoyed it, our guide George was amazing and full of knowledge. Time and money well spent! Thank you!
Also you would get discount on whisky in shop if you have tour ticket.

Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

4 of us have just been on the Blenders Tour at the Aberfeldy distillery. I cannot rate this highly enough! The staff were all very friendly and informative and made sure we were all looked after. One of the best tours we have done.

Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

I couldn’t quite put my finger on the reason I felt a bit disappointed when I left this place because the tour was really good, the cafe served up a nice lunch and I treated myself to some 12 year old single malt.

As I drove past on the way out the statue of the highlander in the gardens helped me understand why I felt so disappointed. Generally speaking this was a sanitised attraction for tourists with a morning or afternoon to spare; when compared to the smaller highland distilleries I had visited everything felt a bit contrived. There were a few people on the other types of tour on offer tasting cask whisky and they seemed to be having a great time, albeit they did look to be having a much better time after their third or fourth dram!

The theme of this place is unashamedly “Dewars” and what wonderful things that family have done for the Scotch Whisky industry over the years. The “museum” was a shrine to all things Dewar and less to the artefacts behind the production of Whiskey in Scotland. I guess that is what I should have expected at the major Dewars distillery. The good thing was that my teenage grandson really enjoyed the tour and visiting the museum with the iPad he used to provide extra information if needed. By the way you have to give the iPads back at the end of your tour!

If, like me, you want something more authentic then go to one of the smaller distilleries but on the other hand if you want a nice day out and to learn a bit about the Dewar family and Scotch Whisky then take your tour here.

AberfeldyDistilery, Manager at Dewar’s Aberfeldy Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2017

Hi Welltravelled51,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review of Dewar's Aberfeldy Distillery. We're glad that you felt we offered a really good tour, and that you and your family enjoyed several aspects of your time here.

We regret that you felt our experience lacked authenticity, which seems to be because we celebrate Dewar's blended Scotch whisky onsite. However, given that Aberfeldy Distillery was built back in 1896 by the Dewar family, in order to create more quality single malt to go into the Dewar's blend, and that our museum displays the historic Dewar archives, we feel that not to tell those stories would actually be a less authentic approach.