“Fantastic Break”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aberfeldy
Lothian
“Fantastic Break”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Just spent two great nights in the hotel.

Accommodation was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The bedroom was spacious and the fixtures and fittings in great order.

The restaurant was very good and the service excellent. The bar meals upstairs were average so apart from having great tea and scones, I would opt for the restaurant if wanting a meal.

The only drawback was the weather and having to travel between the hotel for meals, the Spa and swimming pool.

Great part of the country with lots around and about to do.

Room Tip: We had room 9 which was on the ground floor in a quiet corner with only one other room next door. Di...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for your review and for your feedback, its great to read you enjoyed a fantastic break, we hope you have opportunity to visit with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We went on a Groupon break and absolutely loved it. We are keen badminton players and we were attracted to the resort because it has a court. We thoroughly enjoyed playing in the air conditioned sports room. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. We chose to upgrade to a suite and it was lovely - spacious and clean with a fantastic bathroom and a pleasant little sitting room. Two TVs, tea and coffee facilities, lovely toiletries. Dinner on the first night was in the bar and it was very good. Well cooked, presented and plentiful. Bar prices were reasonable and service was friendly and fast. The second (last) night we ate in the restaurant. They gave us a 15% discount on the food bill which was very generous given that it was a set price meal. Service was excellent - a really exceptional waiter who was amusing and friendly without being pushy. Food was very good and the atmosphere was relaxed and pleasant.
We didn't use the swimming pool so can't comment but others seemed to enjoy it.
We read the negative reviews before we left and felt a bit apprehensive. Very glad we didn't read them before we booked. I think it's a resort for people who enjoy comfortable relaxed surroundings. We will return.

Room Tip: Can't comment on the spa because it was fully booked. If you want a spa treatment book in advanc...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your 'brilliant' five star review, its very rewarding for us to read such great feedback and we will look forward to your next visit, thank you once again.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Not long back after a short stay here with my wife.We stayed in the hotel part of the resort rather than one of the 106 cottages they have on offer.
The room was clean and bright,the bed was fine,there are tea and coffe making facilities in the room, you also have an iron and board.There is free wi fi during your stay which I had no problems with. The TV on the other hand was a different matter, It helps if your a rocket scientest to be able to get it to work,
There are 2 places to eat, downstairs is the formal restaurant and upstairs is really for families. We ate in the downstairs and you really cant fault it, lovely food and lovely decor.
There is a pool area with sauna and steam room,The only slight problem I found with the pool area was the quality of the towels on offer, they were like over sized face cloths, white thin and they felt cheap. A brighter larger thicker towel would realy make the pool area a lot nicer place to relax.
All in all we realy enjoyd our stay, It is idealy situated to explore the highlands, Braemar The leicht, glenshee are all within a few hours drive.
If you reading this Mr Mannager new towels would go down a treat.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was a birthday present from my fiancee, booked through Groupon, and we took our six month old daughter with us. I think the best way is to list the good and the bad.

Good points:
Lovely location.
Nice little duck pond for children to see.
Had a very nice (but expensive, which we knew it would be) meal in the restaurant, with good service.
Good, hearty, tasty breakfast.
Swimming pool was good but with a baby we weren't in the steam room, hot tub or sauna so I can't comment on them.

Bad points:
No tea & scones on arrival (was promised through Groupon).
Receptionist could have been a bit more welcoming.
Why is the TV so hard to work? Needed a paragraph of instruction in the welcome book - absolutely ridiculous.
Cracked floor tiles in the bathroom.
The hot water tap was scalding - you couldn't even have the water touch your hand it was that hot! Is there any need?
My fiancee's pillowcase was had a few dirty marks on it.
For some reason the bed sloped up to the end of it a little.
Mattress was a bit lumpy.
Wifi didn't work.
The food and drink in the Terrace bar was over priced for being essentially a cafe.

So the bathroom would have been a 4-star were it not for the tiles, but the room definitely was not. I enjoyed my time there, but I think it was because of who I was with more than where I stayed.

Room Tip: Ask for one that's not near the lift - it's quite loud if you're in bed when people come...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

We had a fabulous stay at moness. The cottage was like a home away from home, cosy, clean and spacious. The spa was gorgeous and very well used. The small bonus is having the wee set of friendly ducks that you can feed at the side of Moness.
The only small negative I would say is when going to reception to enquire about where the swimming area was two of the reception staff were having a personal conversation to themselves and we ended up having to look for it ourselves as we weren't served promptly.

• Stayed January 2014
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your five star review and for your feedback which is always appreciated and used to help improve the customer experience, its very pleasing to read you enjoyed a fabulous stay, thank you once again
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were hoping for a good break and chose the Mones Aberfeldy Hotel, after looking at the adverts. It says there is only one Mones hotel and for us its a good job. When we booked we received no confirmation or receipt that the deposit had been taken from out account even after phoning two weeks later and was told they would email confirmation. We had difficulty findng reception and then the hotel rooms. The heating in the hotel was very low and the room suite 17 had no heating turned on to welcome us. We could not get the heating in the bathroom to work at all and so we had to leave the doors open to try and heat the bathroom. We also had difficulty getting the television to work. No instructions were available. Not a good start to an expensive all in three day break.
We arrived at the dining room at 7 for 7.30 evening meal which was then served at 8.15. The soup was cold as were the plates. The Ravioli dish my wife had was also cold again on cold plates and the base was rock hard with a mediocre filling. My wife managed one mouthful.
The next course we selected was chicken for me and silverside for my wife. Both dishes were again served on cold plates. The chicken was overcooked and tough, the french beans wrapped in smoky bacon were burned and very hard. The silverside was very tough, cold and in-edible.
At that point I gave up an never attempted the sweet. My wife asked for sticky toffee pudding without the toffee topping and one arrived with the sauce and it took ages for the waiter to come with a piece without sauce and it was too hard to eat.
We decided to go home at that point and after a discussion with the helpful duty Manager he came to the room and noticed it was not cosy warm and could not do anything but showed us how to get the TVs working. He asked us to stay for breakfast and then decide what we should do but don't pay any more and I would be contacted by the customer relations Manager on her return to work after the holiday. The next morning we had a good breakfast and then left for home.
I received an email stating that the customer relations manager would contact me on the 3rd Jan however I had to call her on the 6th to discuss the matter. She was very defensive and said that they cannot be expected to get it right all the time. She also said the couple sat at our table were the only other people who complained about the meal. However there were many other plates going back with half eaten food but she said that was not my concern. She arranged to refund my deposit and offered a free night which I declined. The hotel is a well appointed, clean and tidy. However, as a well experienced Managing Director I feel the hotel lacks good management and attention to detail.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Brian G
UK
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Good Points

Restaurant and breakfast staff provided prompt, friendly service.
Grounds well kept and ample parking.
Ate in the Terrace Restaurant – Food cooked well and reasonably priced.
Spacious and well appointed bathroom. Other than the bathroom I'm not convinced the room was 4 star though.
Very close proximity to Aberfeldy and a range of local tourist attractions.

Bad Points

Reception staff at the time of booking rude and not customer focussed (H Davies). Judging by other reviews on Trip Advisor I’m not the first person to comment on this. It’s a shame because the reception staff member who checked us in was very helpful and upbeat.
TV system overly complicated and temperamental – Two remotes needed!
Whilst there is a formal restaurant and a terrace (bar snack style) restaurant, there is no actual bar area should you wish to relax with a drink after eating.

Other

Did not use the pool but was full with Children when I looked. This didn’t put me off, but I can see how it would be annoying for people who had booked the hotel for the purpose of a spa/relaxation break.

Would I go back?

Based on the location and facilities alone yes I would go back, but add in the unpleasant booking experience, no. First impressions count!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank secret_box
Thank you for taking them time to review Moness Resort. We are sorry to read of your first impressions, please be assured that all feedback is appreciated and is used to improve the customer experience, despite your concerns, we are glad to read that your enjoyed the location and the facilities at Moness, thank you once again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfeldy
The Weem Inn
The Kenmore Club
The Kenmore Club
#1 of 2 in Kenmore
Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort

Been to Moness Resort? Share your experiences!