“January Break”

Moness Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aberfeldy
“January Break”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Just back from a 2 night stay at the hotel as a Christmas present to my boyfriend. Half price Groupon with tea and scones on arrival and full use of the leisure facilities, great offer! First impressions the resort was lovely, but was not happy upon check in when we were told that the pool, sauna, hot tub etc. were all closed for the day for maintenance. I understand this is essential work but we had arrived at 2pm expecting to use the facilities (which we had paid for.) I had also phoned to check the day before and was told this was all in order so could have been informed then. Lady at reception was not particularly apologetic and no compensation was offered, though I did choose not to complain at the time per my boyfriends request.

I agree with previous comments that a nice bar area really should be available in one of the dining areas, both nights we went into Aberfeldy itself for dinner and drinks (lovely Indian restaurant!) Breakfast was nice though, good variety of options. We had a standard double room that was spacious& clean with a bath and an excellent shower. Tv was a nightmare though we only really tried it because it was there. Bed was pretty uncomfortable too, with a weird bump in the middle of the 2 sides?

Birks of Aberfeldy walk was great! 2 minutes from the hotel (we saw a red squirrel!) We also went to the Dewars whisky experience, a short walk from the town, which was also great fun and the staff were lovely. Overall a nice stay with a few areas that could have been improved, would have been disappointed had I paid full price but the offer was excellent. The hot tub in the leisure facilities really was the charm.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Moness Resort and for all your feedback which is always used constructively to improve the customer experience. We are sincerely sorry that unscheduled maintenance and essential repairs led to some of the facilities not being available during your stay, nevertheless we are pleased to read that overall you had a nice stay and in particular enjoyed the hot tub, thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Aberdeen
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a one night stay at Moness Resort, we used a voucher deal, which included tea & scones on arrival and bed & breakfast.
Aberfeldy is a lovely little village, quiet & picturesque. Moness Resort comprises of cottages & hotel rooms, we stayed in a superior room, which is in a building slightly adjacent to main reception building. Hotel & rooms were very clean & tidy. Coffee & warm scones were served after we checked in which was delicious. We ate lunch & dinner at places in The Square but Moness has a formal & informal dining area too. Staff were nice & friendly. Breakfast was delicious, offered tea/coffee & toast immediately on arrival, selection of cereals, fruit, juice & cooked breakfast available as buffet style, but you can also request more such as eggs Benedict which my Husband had & very much enjoyed! We had a lovely stay here albeit our minute little turn off was the fact the informal dining area looks directly onto swimming & jacuzzi area which unfortunately put us off of using it, otherwise I would have made this a perfect stay & review.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank SammyP75
Thank you for taking the time to review Moness Resort, your feedback is much appreciated, its great to read you had a lovely stay and we hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We visited Moness along with 2 other couples on a 3 night festive package during the New Year period. Having visited on a previous occasion we were pleased to receive the same warm welcome from Reception staff. All of our party paid for upgraded rooms which we found to be well appointed and very clean.The package itself was good value for money comprising of breakfast and evening meals including a 5 course gala dinner on NY eve and a lovely NY day brunch. The evening entertainment on all 3 nights was also very good. A special mention is merited for the hard working catering staff who were really busy especially during the evening meals, all of the staff were pleasant and eager to please. Unfortunately the Scottish weather was at its best and the rain seemed never to let up, this reinforced our viewpoint that a covered walkway from the main hotel side door to the reception would be a welcome addition to the facilities. One other very minor point is the room TV which has been mentioned previously, having stayed in both a suite and a superior room we found on both occasions the television to be too small and over complicated to operate! However we did not go to Moness to watch TV and this very minor point will not deter us from returning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Longforganlad
Thank you for your review and for all your kind comments, which I will pass onto the team. We are so glad you enjoyed your Hogmanay at Moness and we will certainly look forward your next visit, thank you once again.
Strichen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Booked a specific three bed lodge for its location in resort being close to the restaurant, a year in advance for two nights as was getting married in the area and booked a meal for our guests on the Saturday. unfortunately I cant write the whole story but our stay was shocking and we have been left distraught by the whole experience, when we arrived - our lodge we booked had been booked in for the wrong nights, needless to say we were furious luckily after about an hour they found us alternative lodge we were offered dinner whilst they were trying to sort out alternative accommodation which I declined as I had cooked a meal and taken it with us. As I was so upset by their mistake and we now running an hour behind, I unpacked whilst my fiancé took our four children to the pool so they at least didn't miss out on what we had planned for the Friday. The standard of the lodge was certainly not to a four star standard, marks on carpet, burn mark on kitchen floor vinyl, marks on walls, grouting in en suite needed redoing and there was hair in plughole of bath and on bath sides - which was quickly cleaned when I complained. My son was sleeping in the sofa bed and when it was unfolded it was in a disgusting state - I wouldn't like to comment on what type of hair was evident (I didn't complain about this as I felt I couldn't complain again). As we could not accept offer of dinner to make up for this fiasco I asked for breakfast for us and other family guests (same mistake was made with their lodge also). Helen Davis phoned as she was on holiday at the time to apologise as this was her mistake. The whole carry on left us running late and totally spoilt what should have been a great family time - we had also booked the games room but in the end as we only had finished our evening meal by 7.15pm I asked my brother to take my son there for a short while - they found the equipment of some items unusable (as part of further complaint later I was advised that this found to be satisfactory by Helen Davis). We got married on the Saturday and phoned to advise that we would be arriving earlier back than expected when we arrived we were advised by restaurant manager Lio that chef wasn't ready to serve meal so we cut the cake instead and tried to sit down as close to the time as possible. When it came to my uncle saying grace I had to ask for Lio to introduce him to be told he was busy in the kitchen then when my elderly uncle did say grace they left the music blaring so he could hardly be heard said saying grace, main course was ok service very poor/slow given everything was pre ordered 3 months in advance, extra tatties and veg/gravy were too late in coming out to the tables and main courses were finished , sweet was served in a haphazard slow manner and I was one of the last to get mine and as the bride this isn't how this should be, especially as it was cheesecake (cheesecake was of poor supermarket value type quality), my cousins sticky toffee pud which was part of a trio of desserts was burnt and poor quality. We didn't complain about the meal as after my outburst on the Friday re the lodge booking mistake and everything else I couldn't cope with anymore of my wedding celebrations turning sour. On our return from honeymoon we contacted Helen Davis initally asking for financial compensation(we didn't go in to any other complaints in the first email) as we couldn't bear to go back, this was refused and we were advised the free breakfast we got on the Saturday morning was our compensation - needless to say we furious as at no point were we advised that this breakfast we had was going to be compensation, After several emails later where I then advised on all the other issues, we accepted the offer of a return one night stay in the honeymoon suite and a 3 course dinner with a bottle of wine - please see my next review on this. I went on to advise Helen Davis of our concerns re the meal which obliviously this should have been mentioned at that time but she advised she had passed my comments on to Lio for his response, we never have received any acknowledgement from him and see next review for further details on the matter. After reading other peoples reviews and the common theme seeming to be the hotel not meeting the four star standard - I contacted Visit Scotland regarding the matter where I had to fill in a feedback form - this I believe is ongoing as we were advised that Moness was due for inspection shortly. We feel badly let down and what a bad example to tourists visiting this beautiful area of Perthshire. The word Moness cant even be mentioned now as my husband cant bear it. We use Visit Scotland website/brochures a lot and feel badly misled by their star ratings and feel in future we will go to review sites like this prior to booking somewhere. Moness Hotel just took our money and didn't care, their lack of customer care and attention to detail is appalling. Just writing this review leaves me upset!
Another concern I cant help wonder about and given the cleanliness of the lodge is the testing and cleaning routine of pool, never once did we see anyone testing the water (we have stayed at two hotels since and both places witnessed staff checking pool water) and when we stayed at the hotel a year ago we couldn't stay in the hot tub as the water was sour so not sure what the cleaning routine of this is.

Room Tip: Not sure what to say here! Foxglove lodge booked originally seemed nice and was in the nicer area of...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Arleen W
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Just had a lovely weekend in the hotel lovely room,nice food, great location, nice staff,great pool and spa facility's if you stay hear walk the birks 5 mins from the hotel the views are breath taking and go try the local whiskey making centre it's very interesting.I would return hear.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Helena S
Thank you for taking the time to review Moness Resort. We are glad to read you enjoyed your stay and that you would return, we hope you have the opportunity to do so soon, thank you once again.
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great location and stunning scenery, however the hotel is a separate building from the leisure and restaurants. Our room was supposed to be a superior room,tv didn't work, neither did wifi, no reply to reception and night porter was away doing his rounds when we checked.Going to bed the sheets had holes them, don't think we would go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sheena_harkins
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

This resort I'd situated near wonderful walking and golfing amenities. We were there for Xmas and enjoyed the ceilidh on Xmas Eve. The food was plentiful however it was over cooked and the meat quite tough.
The apartments are old and need modern amenities such as a dish washer and the bathrooms need work. Enjoyable but not outstanding

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank SheryleMoon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfeldy
Kenmore Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aberfeldy
The Kenmore Club
The Kenmore Club
#1 of 2 in Kenmore

Been to Moness Resort? Share your experiences!