“Accommodation ok but some major annoying problems”
Review of Moness Resort

Moness Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Aberfeldy
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Accommodation ok but some major annoying problems”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Ok so I'll try to be concise! We booked this through the Scottish Tourist Board so at £196 for two nights self catering in a one bedroom cottage was a little cheaper than booking direct...but they don't point out there is a charge for electricity which to be honest any accommodation in Scotland with electric fan heaters who charge for the privilege of heat or hot water I think is plain cheeky (I'm Scottish so know enough about our weather!) so they added an extra £15 on for this which thinking we got there 4pm went swimming, eating etc and were out from 9-5 the next day and left at 945am seems to me to be a great money making scheme unless the bill is really £250ish a month! However when I pointed out that I didn't know electricity was extra, and that at check in no one offered me sight of the meter reading so I could check she offered to half it or I could refuse to pay it so don't think they have any idea of the actual cost and wonder how many refuse that the others folk get to pay for!

Anyway the cottage was a great size and once we found the sheets and such for making up the sofa bed all we needed seemed to be there...they provide a few tea bags, sachets of coffee etc and fairy liquid, no shower gel or the like though and if you want a hairdryer its £10 from reception! Maybe I'm used to more but would have liked a hairdryer come on folks 4* give guest a dryer of sorts even wee grotty hotels do that! There is an oldish tv with some freeview channels that if you fiddle with it you can watch the couches are comfy and you have dishes etc needed for cooking, eating etc...the bed though is like sleeping on a floor huge but hard, but two pillows each which I liked.

The pool is small but clean and enough for a swim, a wee sauna and steam room, there are a couple play areas outside and a wee tiny tots mini soft room etc and mega friendly ducks to entertain you knocking at the windows. You get two towels each any more needed you pay dot them too.

Food mmm ok we ate at the bistro and I can honestly say was one of the worst meals I have ever eaten all three of us had bland, watery yet greasy food really not good at all and to top it off we had to wait for 15minutes at the end to try get a machine working to allow us to pay for it, they never once asked if we enjoyed our food maybe they just get fed up with folk saying no. Didn't try the other restaurant at £27 each we decided its was too risky as would have been gutted to spend that on similar food so can't comment on how good or otherwise it may be.

I don't mean to sound too negative it's close to Aberfeldy and clean and had what you need to stay there but just feel this kind of place leaves you understanding why folks choose not to holiday at home instead of feeling disappointed and ripped off with what for us is 2hours away in a lovely part of the country where we'd love to nip away to but I for one won't be back again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank amack
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Moness resort on trip advisor. We are disappointed and somewhat saddened to read some of the descriptives and misunderstandings of your recent stay and as I am sure you have read in previous responses your review of the resort do go against the overall trend.

We are legally bound to ensure no profit is made from any electric charge. Data is read remotely by computer and readings are available if requested, I am sorry this information was not relayed to you at time of booking and at check out. I have since spoken with Visit Scotland in respect of this matter to ensure all information given is full and correct.

I was pleased to read you found your cottage a great size and well equppied. I would advise that only a £10 deposit is required for a hairdryer and refunded on return of the hairdryer.

I am sorry to read you were disappointed with your meal. Our aim is to present all food to a high standard and I am sorry that is appears we did not on this occasion. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve where necessary.

Thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Falkirk
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We booked thru groupon and were looking forward to a few days relaxation,
We arrived Monday night, room small and still had a travel cot set up ,the restaurant was empty as a bit pricy everyone in terrace bar eating, watching football and the noise incredible,
Went out for dinner, came back for a few drinks but when football finished everyone left and bar staff wanted to set up for next day, had to ask night porter for an extension cable as I have sleep apnoea and sockets old style at side of bed,then had the worry of not falling over cable during the night, breakfast ok bit slow, spa not up to much pool full of kids ,
We gave up and came home, we are not hard to please but this really is not a four star resort, receptionist did not ask if we enjoyed our stay , we would not recommend this to couples,

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Margaret F
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Moness Resort on trip advisor.

I was naturally disappointed to read your review and it is unfortunate that your thoughts were not brought to our attention at the time where we would have welcomed the opportunity to address them.

The hotel was completely refurbished in 2008 and sockets fitted are safety sockets. I am sorry this style of socket was not suitable for your needs and we urge all guests to kindly pre advise us of any such special requests in order to avoid such concern.

The Hotel, including the associated bar/dining areas, has recently been awarded 4 start Country House Hotel status by Visit Scotland.

Our spa treatment rooms were refurbished this year and always prove very popular with our guests and the pool can be be busy, particularly during school holidays.

It is unfortunate that you chose not to dine with us or make use of the spa rooms, which may have given you a more positive impression of these facilities.

With all that being said I am sorry that is seems that Moness Resort did not meet with your own expectations and we would encourage all travellers to read our more recent reviews which we consider a truer reflection of Moness Resort.
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed on 19th and 20th March in the main hotel via Groupon deal. From reading reviews we heard rooms were well equipped, big etc but we were still surprised by the standard of the room. Our room (27) really was lovely.

Throughout our stay the staff were friendly and attentive - as a previous Reviewer noted, the Australian receptionist was very nice and deserves a special mention.

The complex itself is quiet and perfect for a relaxing break. Whilst we were at Moness another Groupon deal came up and we booked again. Yes, we enjoyed our stay that much.

2 Thank Fletchy76
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for your five star review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and found the room, grounds, food and the team members to be excellent. On behalf of the team at Moness Resort I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My partner and myself have just returned from a lovely weekend break at this hotel, from the moment we arrived the receptionist Fiona was lovely and very helpful. Our room was nice very clean and modern, the bathroom was lovely with a huge bath and shower. The hotel itself was very nice and was only a short walk into the town of Aberfeldy, where there were a few restaurants and bars. We had breakfast both days and it was fab and myself and my partner were stuffed afterwards! The only complaint I would have is the bed could do with a more comfortable mattress but that's just our opinion :) would like to say a big thanks to the Moness Resort as we had an excellent weekend :)

2 Thank Megann1987
Thank you for such a glowing five star review. Your comments are appreciated and are passed through to all the team who always enjoy getting such great feedback. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to Moness Resort when next you travel this way.
Dunbar, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We are just back from a 2 night stay in Moness on an excellent KGB deals offer (considerably cheaper than the hotel’s own rates) and would heartily recommend to families with young children: there is a good, clean pool, sauna and steam room; snooker, pool and table tennis; and a sports hall, mini-soft play and small outdoors play park. Our children loved the duck pond, while there is a reasonable amount of safe green space to run around on.

We stayed in a 3 bedroom lodge, with 2 en-suites, living room-kitchen and bathroom. The accommodation was quite spacious, reasonably presented and fairly well stocked. The staff very kindly let us have an additional person stay without charging extra, although they did try to charge us for electricity used, which wasn’t mentioned on the booking form. The only problem was the length of time the water heater took – meant having to hang around for ages to get a shower and would have been a hassle on a longer stay.

The resort is well kept and reasonably spacious, although the main reception area needs a face lift. There is a bar and restaurants although we didn’t eat there. The resort is basically right next to Aberfeldy, which is a pleasant small Scottish town.

For a day trip, nearby Kenmore is very small but very lovely with wonderful loch views. A new luxury 5 star hotel is being refurbished there and the walk to it and the building itself are both absolutely spectacular.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank terryEdinburgh
Thank you for taking the tiem to review Moness resort on Trip Advisorf and for all your positive comments. Its great to read you made the most of all the facilites at the resort and you found your cottage so spacious. I am very sorry to hear you had some difficulties with the hot water and I am pleased to advise there are plans for refurbishment for our main reception this year. I hop we can welcome you back to the Moness Resort when next you travel our way.
Glasgow
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I can highly recommend Moness. We rented a 1 bed cottage which was was very comfortable and well fitted out. Loved the view out to the duck pond. I have to say the ducks are tremendously friendly and will come up and eat out of your hand.

Only 5 min walk from the centre of Aberfeldy so great wee location. Oh and you got to try Canyoning at the local water centre (Splash) superb...

Couple of points is that I wish there was some entertainment on in the hotel especially over the weekend. I also wish that there was a normal freeview box which brought a menu screen up and showed what was on TV.

Other that that a cracking place, people were nice and polite room was spacious and comfy, I'll defo be back.

Cheers Moness:))

Room Tip: One bed rooms have a sofa bed upstairs and can sleep 2. Save yourself money if you use the soaf bed...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Thank your for taking the time to review Moness Resort on Trip advisor. Its really great to read you would highly recommend us and we look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Found the moness of very high standard, room and bathroom massive, had tea and coffee in room,had also used the pool which was a good size. Had also eaten in the restaurant on both nights meal on first night excellent ,but disappointed with the meal special of BBQ which really was a piece of fried chicken with BBQ sause (prob) from a bottle poured over it. Breakfast was excellent,asked if I could take the chef home to cook my breakfast,he he. Would I recommend moness definitely

2 Thank Crocket01
MonessResort, Public Relations Manager at Moness Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your five star review and its really great too read that you would definitely recommend us. Thank you for all your positive comments, your feedback is greatly appreciated, we can therefore assure you that is used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our guest service standards and facilities offered. Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfeldy
The Weem Inn
The Kenmore Club
The Kenmore Club
#1 of 2 in Kenmore
Crieff Hydro Hotel and Resort

Been to Moness Resort? Share your experiences!