“Cheap and Very Cheerful”
Review of Breadalbane Arms

Breadalbane Arms
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Aberfeldy
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Cheap and Very Cheerful”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend break with a large group of friends. This is an old hotel with rambling stairs and corridors leading to extremely small rooms. The hotel has recently changed ownership and is currently experiencing gradual renovation. We will return in a year or so to see progress. The rooms although small are warm and clean with all the necessary (if cramped) facilities.
Our weekend of 2 nights D,B&B with entertainment both nights was excellent value for money. The staff throughout (and locals in the bar) are extremely friendly. The food both evening and breakfast had a good choice and sizeable portion and the kitchen had the skills to "mix and match" from the menu to suit the guests choices.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
gilmchugh, Manager at Breadalbane Arms, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. Indeed we had a very good weekend of fun and laughter with your group of friends and look forward to welcoming you back when the renovations are well under way.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Czech first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

we ate here twice during our 2 day stay in aberfeldy but did not stay here so the review is for the food only. First visit was for a lunchtime snack, where we ordered 2 sandwiches and a bowl of chips between us. What arrived was a feast, our sandwiches came with crisps, coleslaw and salad, it was huge and we struggled to eat it.
The second visit was for an evening meal and i had the second best steak pie ever (first is still the avail hotel in newtonmore) and it was so good, i followed that with sticky toffee pudding and again it was excellent, my wife had the chicken which she loved. One criticism was that there were a number of items not available , too many for my liking. However ,we will visit here again

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BOBHAM5114
Forfar
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I along with our daughter and son-in-law booked in to this hotel for a two night New Year break. The pictures on the website look quite nice. Unfortunately the rooms are nothing like the pictures. Both our rooms were on the top floor and very, very small. There was no shower only a bath. You could sit on the loo and wash your hands in the sink there was so little room. The curtains in our room were ripped and dirty but the bed was clean and comfy. The food in the restaurant was dreadful. The potatoes were like bullets and when they were retuned the chef sent a message with the waiter to say it was the time of year and not his fault. A rabbit would have needed good strong teeth to eat the carrots. All guests in the dining room left their potatoes on the plates, they were disgusting. Porridge was no better, a little milk poured over the oats but not mixed through then stuck in a microwave all I got was lumps of half cooked oatmeal. We did complain but would have been better saving our breath, the complaints fell on deaf ears I'm afraid. Other guests complained also but to no avail. I paid my hotel on arrival and regret doing this as I would have deducted money for the food we couldn't eat. The skips are still in the car park taking up space, why they are thereis anybody's guess, they are not doing any work in the hotel.

Room Tip: There are no good tips or rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MojoForfar

Travelers are raving about these Aberfeldy hotels

Blantyre, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Photos on internet of rooms in this hotel are nothing like the real rooms you book into, I stayed in Aberfeldy 25 years ago and this hotel has not changed since then. The double room and triple room photos must be of another hotel, was speaking to a couple when I stayed there and the shower was taped up, and dirty, all they have done is put new bed linen on the beds no renovations have been done to this hotel, I had a lampshade in a small cramped room that was falling apart. A lot of people were complaining of the lack of showers in the room, the carpets are dirty, the hotel is falling apart.

The only nice thing about this hotel is the chefs meals and the staff who work there apart from one who promises you anything to get a dirty cramped room booked. I would advise you to stay well clear of this hotel, I am sure they are using photos of another hotel as far as rooms go. If they do not spend some money soon on this rundown hotel it will go like all the other hotels in Aberfeldy shutters down, but Aberfeldy is a nice place to stay just not the Breadalbane Inn until they do more things to this hotel, the cover I had on my bed was so thin.

Room Tip: do not book a room at all
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jane794
gilmchugh, Manager at Breadalbane Arms, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
I can assure you that there is no 'false advertising' as suggested. While we agree that the hotel requires some refurbishment this is due to start next week and some of the rooms have indeed been refurbished and it is those that are pictured. This is reflected in the price paid. I would like to ask where the Breadalbane Inn is as this may be a review for a different place as our name is The Breadalbane Arms Hotel.
Had you spoken to me at the time of departure and let me know of your feelings that would have been good.
Methil, Leven, Fife.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a three night, half board break in September 2013 which was booked via the easybreaks.com website. This is a 200 year old building which is in serious need of major refurbishment. The hotel car park is at the rear and some of the parking spaces were taken up by a large skip which was not taken away during our stay. A very steep set of stairs takes you from the rear car park to the reception area and if one is bothered with knee or leg problems I would not recommend this hotel to you. The hotel does not have a fitted lift. We stayed in Room 15 and the room was so small that I felt like Gulliver arriving in Lilliput. The room was very small and contained a double bed, a fitted wardrobe, two chairs and a sideboard / desk with some storage drawers contained therein. The on-suite was obviously an afterthought fitted sometime back which reduced the complete size of the bedroom. I am of the belief that, at one time, this may have been a room containing one single bed ad some storage wardrobes / cupboards. The on-suite had no shower fitted therein, only a bath which was okay for myself but no use for my wife who has some chronic back problems. I ascertained that there are very few rooms in this hotel which have fitted showers therein so take a note of this when making booking arrangements. The on-suite area contains a sink, a bath, a toilet pan and a cistern. There is no room to "swing a cat" in the bathroom and if you are in the habit of reading a newspaper while sitting on the lavatory pan then this on-suite has been especially built for you. You can perfectly balance your newspaper / magazine on the sink whilst you go about your call of nature and read it perfectly well. The room has a distinct lack of wall fitted electrical sockets and you notice this when tracing the fitment of bedside lamps and trying to find a nearby socket in order to plug in the provided kettle in the hope of having a cup of tea / coffee after having travelled to Aberfeldy in the first instance. Electrical gang sockets are used throughout the room to compensate for the lack of wall fitted sockets. Under the health and safety rules all portable electrical appliances are normally "PAT" tested by a qualified "PAT" tester or electrician on an annual basis. I noted from the stickers on the gang sockets that the testing was overdue. There was a sash window in the room which would not stay open when one tried to keep it open in order to obtain some fresh air at nights. There was nothing provided by the hotel to keep the window open. During our stay I went out for a walk in the evenings after dinner and on my travels, I picked up a long piece of concrete which I used to keep my sash window open a little at nights. A pint of lager in the bar was cheap at only £2.00 and the breakfast / dinner meals in the restaurant was very good indeed.
I am aware that a new female Manager has arrived on site and she certainly has her work cut out dealing with the various complaints from the hotel guests. I believe that this hotel is to be totally refurbished but it is going to be costly. It is after all a 200 year old building with creaky floorboards and old fashioned sash windows which all need to be replaced. Some persons may call this hotel "quaint" but I should like to suggest that one gives it a miss and book elsewhere to enjoy your quiet break in the Perthshire countryside. It might be different once it is refurbished, hope someone has "loads of Money". On a good note the hotel is situated right in the heart of the town centre in Aberfeldy and is very central for driving trips to Kenmore, Killin, Castle Menzies, Dunkeld, Pitlochry, Newtonmore, Kingussie, Aviemore and beyond.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel as persons who are visiting the downstairs public bar tend t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed at The Breadalbane. This was a surprise from my wife, after reading reviews, I have to admit, I was not looking forward to our stay, well it goes to show, don't judge a book by it's cover !
The staff and management were brilliant, The food was excellent and Alex the Chef went above and beyond to accommodate our needs, Sean was incredible and like everyone else went out of his way. Well done !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allan R
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Read the reviews before booking & as usual good & bad so as usual wondered where the bad ones came from considering the price.Arrived Friday afternoon and we're pleasantly greeted by receptionist room was fine apart from no shower,no big deal it had a bath.Had two great breakfasts & evening meals in the restuarant (soup was fantastic) & well done Michael the waiter for great service under pressure .Will look forward to coming back here again especially after refurb.A big thank you to all the staff who were pleasant & hard working.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
gilmchugh, Manager at Breadalbane Arms, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. Indeed we have tried to price our breaks according to facilities to provide value for money and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberfeldy
Moness Resort
#1 of 1 in Fortingall
The Townhouse Aberfeldy
The Townhouse Aberfeldy
#1 of 19 in Aberfeldy

Been to Breadalbane Arms? Share your experiences!