“So good”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Margaret's Hope
Eastward Guest House
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Travelling for many days and me and friends missed home cooking food so we chose this Bed and Breakfast that has dinner too. Interesting selection of menu to choose from. Because it was not restaurant, you need to agree with friends what to eat. We needed to stay there for ten days if we wanted to eat all the dishes they had, but we had Japanese Meat selection. It was very tasty. The people were friendly and packed some breakfast for us because we had to leave early in the morning and could not have time to sit down to eat all the food. Orkneys is too far to visit again, but if I have a chance, I will stay Eastwood Bed and Breakfast again and eat dinner everyday.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sam Z

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed at Eastward Guest House in Orkney for three nights. We landed on Pentland Ferries and it was only 5 minutes from the port. The hosts have attended every needs of oursm the rooms were spotlessly clean, and the breakfast was the best ever. Nornally, once you've had your 'full English breakfast', you would not want it many days running, but Eastward Guest House has variety of choice that you do not get bored with their breakfast even if you stay there for 10 days.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank K T
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was my second trip to Eastward Guest House in two years, and I strongly suspect it will not be too long before I return. I was wowed on my first visit, and my second visit was just as good, if not better. A truly great B&B, in my opinion, has three great things going for it: great location, food, and comfort. Eastward redefines the meaning of all three.

First, the location. Orkney isn't very big, so Eastward is a short drive no matter which ferry you take. It's about 45 minutes if you take the CalMac, but even better it's about 10 minutes if you take the Pentland ferries (which are far less fussy and have shorter crossing times). Also, it is minutes from Tomb of the Eagles, and fairly short drives to every other attraction you might want to see. I think I may have driven 45 minutes max to get to anywhere. Although it's about a 30 minute drive or so into town, if you choose to eat outside of Eastward (and you should NOT), there are a few decent little pubs/restaurants within about a 10 minute drive. For a location, you couldn't ask for much more.

Comfort: EVERYTHING around Eastward is centred on your comfort. I have never, ever, been pampered so well and so thoughtfully. The rooms are all located upstairs, with lovely, comfortable beds and pillowy warm duvets. The beds even have electric bed warming sheets right on the mattress - absolute heaven if you've been trekking about all day (it does get cool in Orkney, it's fairly far north). Great big soft, thick, heavy bathrobes are found in your closet - not the little paper thin shifts you get in hotels, PROPER robes. Each room has an alarm clock that will also fit your ipod (great touch), and you are also provided with little toothbrushes, soap, etc. Only a couple of rooms are ensuite, but I never found this a problem as generally you'll still have a bathroom to yourself. Water is piping hot and pressure is great! Also, the guest lounge is outstanding - I've never seen anything like it. The best sound system I think I've ever listened to, lots of DVDs to watch, Sky TV, a dining table, free computer access and wifi, a coffee/hot chocolate/tea station, a little fridge stocked with Coke and water, etc - how much more spoiled can you get? What a wonderful place to relax in!

And if you aren't swayed yet, then let me finish it for you: the food. Oh my god the food. I've rarely eaten in restaurants with food this fabulous! They basically cater to EVERYONE - vegans, paleo, diabetics, whatever you want. Breakfast is an experience. You will not need lunch. Farm fresh eggs are delivered every morning (I know, because I took them from the lady one day!), salmon, sausages made especially for Eastward, fruit cocktail that is prepared daily, the most delicious oatmeal in Scotland, and a selection of cereals, yogurt, etc. And that is just one day - there are many other full breakfasts to choose from, including a vegan special that you would not believe. Patrick and Keiko also packed us a little snack pack to take during the day, as my father is diabetic and needed to eat fairly regularly. I wish they'd pack me a lunch every day, it was so delicious!

Upon booking, you are able to book suppers. Do this. Do NOT miss out on evening meals at Eastward. We had three suppers while we were there, and I still remember every bite. Our first meal was a Japanese one, light fare ( I forget the name), with an app of tofu, main of salmon, and a green tea chocolate fondant cake for dessert. I still salivate about that tofu. I never ever thought I'd utter that phrase in my life. Also, I confess that I HATE salmon, absolutely hate it, but Patrick prepared it with such expertise that I happily hate 90% of it. It wasn't doused in a heavy sauce either - just lightly seasoned and marinated, and served with dishes that perfectly accompanied it. We also repeated our choice of the French traditional (well worth it!), and dined in on another couple's Italian night. The spoiled brat writing this review is not a big lover of seafood, so Patrick gave me chicken pasta instead of the seafood masterpiece everyone else got. It was sooooooo amazing. I still am trying to figure out how I can recreate it. Every meal is cooked with the freshest, high quality ingredients. I can't begin to do it justice. I certainly spent far more money in restaurants in Scotland and didn't get half the experience I did at Eastward. Get the food. COME for the food!

To sum up, staying at Eastward cements the magical experience of Orkney. Patrick and Keiko, the hosts, create such atmosphere of comfort, luxury, and ease that makes everyone feel like royalty. They go above and beyond to make your stay fantastic, and they are highly engaging people to be around. My only regret is that Eastward has become so travelled that I had to share them with other guests!

All in all, one of the most memorable stays I've had. Ever.

Room Tip: I've stayed in two different rooms, and I couldn't recommend one over the other. They're...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Melissa D
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Eastward Guest House, execptional on all fronts. Made to feel at home from the moment we were greeted. Presented to our bedrooms firstly which had everything you could ask for. Then shown the lounge area, which is ideal for a nice chill-out, everything you required was in there.

We had chosen to have food and this was the 'Izakaya Meaty', the food was amazing every course was cooked to perfection and had great presentation. They cooked for 11 of us in total and everyone thoroughly enjoyed each course and everyone was more than satisified with the quantity.

Enjoyed a great sleep after being well fed. In the morning we had a 3 course breakfast, which we were offered a time we fancied to eat at. The breakfast was amazing and very unique, a must have.

I was highly recommend this to anyone and would describe it as faultness and very unique. I will most definitly stay here again.

Many thanks to Patrick and Keiko

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CGillon
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our stay at Eastward House was a most enjoyable one, Patrick and Keiko were generous with their home and food.

Our bedroom was very comfortable, spotlessly clean and provided everything we needed and more,

Our evening meal 'Izakaya Meaty' was outstanding , fresh high quality food, well presented and ultimately delicious to eat.

After a superb nights sleep we were treated to a wonderful breakfast.

Thanks you for making my birthday stay very special, and a big thank you to the girls for their lovely rendition of Happy Birthday.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I heard about this more than a year ago and it sounded a bit too stuck-up to me until friends went there. My husband and I went and did the whole thing of dinner a room for the night and breakfast. When I arrived I was a bit put off by having to swap my high heels for flat slippers because of their clean house policy. They explained that the slippers were sanitised each day. Although that is a bit weird when you’re relaxing on big settees in the lounge before dinner It all feels very comfortable.

I don’t consider myself a connoisseur although I have eaten good food in many parts of the world. All I can say is I ate the best dinner of my life. The next morning I didn’t think I had room for much food, but couldn’t stop eating a three course gourmet breakfast that my husband had chosen for me. With the dinner we did save a lot because we brought our own wine and also because we did not have a taxi to go there or come back the room cost wasn’t really that much different to what we could have spent elsewhere with taxis and high priced wine. If I could go every week I would. There have been special occasions in the past where I have been South to Edinburgh for special occasions, but I think the Witchery have seen the last of me now. The people are alright and down-to-earth and are good fun. They deserve brownie points as everything is just perfect. Everything you touch or use is high quality, so if you feel like a treat and want to spoil yourself, this is definitely the top place to go.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carole D
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We knew that we had found something different right from the start when we completed an online form and received a telephone call in response because our wnquiry was not very clear about dates.

Trip advisor comments had raised our expectations about hospitality and food but we were stll surprised by what we found. It is a high class expereince that you dont get from many top hotels these days. The gormet breakfast range is incredible, with a your personal bowl of hand prepared fresh fruit, flloowed by what can only be described as sensatonial porridge and then the real breakfast. I had hot salmon cooked in wine with spinach and duck eggs and my husband had Orkney steak with all the trimmings in a provencal sauce!

We really did benefit from hte talk about how to use our limited time on the islands - it all made perfect sense once we started touring.

Evening dinners are not usual b&b food. Eating is an experience. We had eaten at some impressive places in the Scotland but nothing gets near to the quality, delicacy and sblime flavours of their food. It is michelin standard or better.

Our thanks also to Jean and Derek from New York who had been there for the week and made our visit so much fun.

Room Tip: we booked two places to reduce travel: it was a mistake we should have stayed all of the time at Eas...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in St. Mary's
Karrawa Guest House
Karrawa Guest House
#2 of 26 in Kirkwall

Been to Eastward Guest House? Share your experiences!