“Fantastic vegan dinner and breakfast!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Margaret's Hope
Eastward Guest House
Reviewed July 3, 2013

What a fantastic find! Just by luck we booked into Eastward guest house...what good luck! We were warmly welcomed by Patrick and Keiko and made to feel very welcome. Patrick and Keiko had made special arrangements to cater for me (vegan) and I can honestly say I have never had such great vegan food!! A 12 course Japanese vegan dinner which was prepared with such care and attention, the quality of the food was outstanding, Patrick and Keiko have an obvious passion for good food, this really did show with the meal that I had. I was due for an early ferry the following day so following an early start to breakfast I was given a special vegan breakfast pack to take with me for after the ferry ride- again such thought and consideration to their individual guests needs. I can honestly say that this is by far the best vegan food that I have ever had, coupled with a fantastic guest house and wonderful hosts this has got to be one of my favourite places!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank charlie c

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in Orkney at the Eastward Guest House. Keiko has paid close attention to the details and the serene simplicity of the inn masks the tremendous thought that has gone into anticipating all of her guests´ needs. Everything is of the highest quality and we were frequently surprised that what we needed was found right at our fingertips. As others here have said, the food is amazing and, if you stay here, you will be welcomed like long lost friends and treated as such through the duration of your stay. The degree to which Patrick becomes a partner in one´s Orcadian adventures may not be to everyone´s taste, but if you enjoy being included in things and having innkeepers invest in making sure that you see and experience the very best that their area has to offer - this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The only thing to watch out for is that the sun rises extremely early in Orkney (3:30 am when we wer...
2  Thank Landis V
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Eastward Guest House is an absolute Gem, Charlene my partner and I were welcomed by the owners Patrick and Keiko who had made specific arrangements for our stay, including holding back dinner service for our late arrival, and sending us off with a (second!!) packed breakfast due to our early start the following day. Charlene is a vegan and our hosts prepared a 12 course vegan Japanese banquet just for her (for all you veggies and vegans out there please read Charlene's review). I had the same non-vegan meal, and can say without question it was the finest dining I have experienced. The care and attention that went into creating the various dishes was simply astonishing and the quality of the food along with Patrick’s storytelling and commentary on each dish made this an evening to remember. The quality of the accommodation matched the food with a light spacious room and a well thought out guest lounge. I know that you will find lots of reviews here that rave about Eastward, but really if you get the opportunity you should visit this place, it will renew your faith that there are still hoteliers in this country that care for customer service and strive for perfection.
Nigel Ohlson

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nigel O
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I loved Eastward Guest House!!! I stayed in a bedroom with 1 twin bed and my own bathroom. I had plenty of room, a writing desk and really enjoyed my 4 day stay.My friends and I were welcomed by Patrick and Keiko and treated like family. We were treated with 5 star service and gourmet breakfast, snack and dinner. Patrick gave us recommendations of what to see and how long it would take us to drive to many places during our stay. I can not say enough about how special that Patrick and Keiko made us feel and how welcome I felt. They really helped make our trip enjoyable.

Room Tip: I believe that you would like any room they have.
3  Thank jwika320
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The stereotypical B&B owners who blend into the background and make small talk at breakfast are not in evidence at Eastward Guest House. Instead, Patrick and Keiko clearly aspire to provide the perfect hospitality experience. Nothing was too much trouble - everything exceeded our expectations. From the comfortably appointed and spotlessly clean sleeping accommodation to the spectacular guest lounge - each reflected an almost obsessive attention to detail.
This was brought into especially sharp focus in the dining room. The food is not just good, it is sumptuous and easily on a par with quality restaurant cooking. It would be insane to spend the night here without enjoying at least one evening meal - my advice - Go Japanese!
It is the little things that can make the difference between a good experience and a great one, and there was a long list of little things here. From providing (free!) food for our two small children, to a telephone call to a local ornithologist which enabled me to find a Skua within 20 minutes, we were treated more as family friends than customers.
There are people who prefer the invisible host approach, and Eastward House will not be for them, but for the vast majority this could just be - The Best B&B Ever!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank andrew K
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We greatly enjoyed this luxurious B&B - which offers respite, rather than a stopover. A beautifully converted church houses Eastward Guest House--the most finely furnished and appointed B&B in our 17-day stay in Scotland. Breakfast was divine. Hosts Patrick and Keiko also offer a broad choice of 5-star dinners tailored to your peculiarities. Take it from this lacto-ovo-pescetarian (fish-eating vegetarian) the food is glorious, and the follow-up hot chocolate lulls you to sleep in comfort. Super clean, lovely, with great views and gorgeous places to walk or bike nearby.

3  Thank K W
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Eastward House, is not for people who want an anonymous B and B, Hosts Patrick and Keiko welcome you into their house and their lives too. The facilities and food are five star and nothing is wanting. It may seem a little pricey, but the quantities of free wine, drinks and the hot chocolate with cream and brandy at bedtime are all included - well they didn't appear on the invoice anyway,and believe me there was no shortage. Patrick and Keiko and their children are free spirits and you may not entirely agree with their philosophy, but it certainly makes for a stimulating stay. Would we return - certainly! its the only time I've ever left a B&B and received hugs and kisses, and the feeling we'd be missed. Robert and Marian Lister

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in St. Mary's
Karrawa Guest House
Karrawa Guest House
#2 of 26 in Kirkwall

Been to Eastward Guest House? Share your experiences!