“Eastward is the REASON to come to Orkney” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eastward Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Margaret's Hope
Eastward Guest House
Halifax, Canada
“Eastward is the REASON to come to Orkney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

My father and I recently traveled to Scotland, and the highlight of our trip was staying at Eastward, a beautifully renovated church. The rooms are very comfortable, the lounge is INSANE - the space and facilities are amazing! - and the hosts, Patrick and Keiko, offered the most genuine, kindest hospitality I encountered a place filled with friendly people. And the food...oh the food! More about that later.

First, we were each given a room at no additional cost (they very kindly waived the single supplement). The bed was soft and comfortable, and I didn't want to leave it come morning. Everything you could want was there, including tea making facilities in the room, a toothbrush in case you forgot yours, and a fresh bottle of water each day. We didn't have an ensuite bathroom, but we shared one between us which was more than fine. The lounge was spectacular - 46 inch tv with Sky, DVDs, loads of books, an amazing hi-fi system (complete with CDs), a free internet computer, a FREE minibar with Coke and juice, and more tea/coffee/hot chocolate making facilities. Top it off with a nice big table and deep comfortable leather couches - I wished I had such a nice set up in my own home!

Luckily enough for us, I booked us in to dinner the first night we arrived. We choose the French dinner at 28 pounds per person, and it was so, so worth it. A full four course meal, we were absolutely stuffed by the end, and the food was absolutely of restaurant quality. We had some great food on our trip, but I would say our meal at Eastward was, by far, the best food we ate in our two weeks. Given the time put into cooking our meal, the high quality of the ingredients, and the accompaniments, I honestly don't think they even make money off the food - they just truly, genuinely enjoy giving fabulous hospitality and making sure your every want or need as a guest is taken care of. That philosophy showed in the food which is cooked with care, attention, and skill. The large breakfast was equally as wonderful - we were so satisfied and full that we didn't so much as feel a hunger pain until 6 that evening!

Above all, what really made the place was the hosts. Patrick told me he wants his guests to feel as though they are in their own house, and we truly did. He greeted us with fascinating conversation and tea and biscuits, which was repeated several times during our all too short two day visit. We were invited to stop back in for tea after the Tomb of the Eagles, the morning we left we were invited to stay as late as we wanted (our ferry left at noon), and Patrick even kindly helped us cancel our ferry booking so we could stay longer.

This trip was a special one for my father and I, and staying at Eastward has become a special memory we will always carry. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer, and I fully intend to be back.

Room Tip: MAKE SURE you book at least one dinner. Not to be missed!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
15 Thank Melissa D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Buckie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

For anyone who gets off the Ferry in St Margaret's Hope and is a 'foodie' if you do not visit 'The Missing Bell' you are mad !!!
We had two nights with Patrick and Keiko I say that as we felt we were 'family' not guests.
The first evening meal was 'Tahiti and Polynsia' such taste !! First the nose the smells were out of this world then the taste buds such sensations !!!
A history lesson by Patrick as to what we were eating and how it would have been prepared on the Islands all added to the delight of the evening.
Next evening we went for the Japanese Banquet. I myself could only find one word to describe this meal 'ORGASMIC' not a word usually used to describe food but what other can you use to describe such sensations?
We will never encounter such food at such prices (not sure how they do it ) ever again thank you so much Patrick and Keiko for making us so welcome and 'special' and an extra thank you from me for catering for my food 'specials' removing skins etc.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
14 Thank avril d
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Eastward Guest house owned by Patrick and Keiko White is quite simply the best place to stay in Orkney and could be the best guest house I've ever stayed in.
The hosts are extremely friendly and accomodating, the rooms are clean, well furnished and bright with great views from the arched windows and the ensuite bathroom and shower was spotless with large clean fluffy white towels supplied daily.
The large airey guest lounge is well supplied with comfy large sofas, lovely paintings, large flat screen TV, Music Centre, DVD and Video Player and a large selection of DVDs, Videos and CDs for the Guests enjoyment.
Soft drinks and Tea and Coffee are freely available at any time of the day and night.
The lovely dining room on the ground floor is bright and friendly, and the hosts evening meal menu is international, varied and superb.
Special mention must be made of the piece de la resistance - the stunning 5 course breakfast menu which consists of a generous bowl of fresh fruit, porridge made with honey, cinnamon and fresh blueberries, Cheese, grapes and biscuits, yogurts, and the best scottish cooked breakfast I have ever tasted - the scrambled eggs are cooked with white wine and tarragon and the cumberland sausages are oven baked, everything is salt free, extremely healthy and cooked with fresh herbs and spices, it will set you up for a day exploring the island or hill walking.
All in all a most enjoyable and relaxing place to stay.
If you go to Orkney it is THE place to stay, if you enjoy good food it's simply heaven, don't miss out book now!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank Scott C
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Simply the best B&B we stayed in during our two weeks in Scotland. The food is chosen with care, made with love and served by people who treat you like friends ( really its better than in most 5 star restaurants). You don't get better fruit in Costa Rica! A foodies dream place, and how lucky we felt to have stumpled upon it.

Staying here raised the bar and none of our other stops came close to measuring up. The beds were great and the the guest hang out room was also the best of the B&B's (with high speed wireless). If I find myself back in Orkney this is the only place I'll want to stay.
Patrick and Keiko have created a slice of paradise on the island. Well done in your second life Patrick!

Room Tip: Book it early and tell them what you like to eat - Keiko does fantastic Japanese and its really the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank David B
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at Eastward for four days with my mother. We booked one double room cos we don't mind sharing a bed, but Patrick and Kako kindly gave us a second double room without surcharge - Fantastic. Both rooms are furnished with solid oak furniture, that matches really well with the arched windows.

Breakfast was amazing. I honestly don't know how they can make "standard-same-ingredient-anywhere" English full breakfast so tasty but anyway it was the best breakfast I ever had in hotels/B&Bs. Fresh fruit salad is not just sliced apples and oranges. I counted at least six or seven varieties of fruits every morning.

Evening meals were equally excellent. We had Japanese and Italian, both of which were very fresh, really well cooked and presented, and needless to say delicious.

The owners are very hospitable and friendly. This B&B is the best ever for not just breakfast but for the whole experience!

• Stayed September 2011
12 Thank apple g
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Unfortunately our fourth visit to Eastward was marred by the presence of the most obnoxious and insulting person I have ever encountered and that includes both rudeness to fellow guests (my husband and I) as well as to the owners.

Offensive behaviour ruined the unique atmosphere that I am sure everyone else has previously enjoyed no doubt as a memorable experience. Perhaps other proprietors would probably have asked them to leave, but the owners of Eastward demonstrated such remarkable patience and friendliness that really is a tribute their outstanding people skills.

We travel the world extensively (average nine times a year) staying in high calibre hotels and eating in fine restaurants. Nothing compares to the level of hospitality and frankly many top restaurants would envy the culinary delights produced here. We ate the five course French provençal dinner with its seven vegetables and exciting flavours. We also enjoyed a four course Italian meal which certainly matches the good London restaurants that we often eat in. Our third evening dinner was Polynesian which was a real food treat for my carnivore husband. The eight course Japanese banquet is simply sublime and sumptuous food that equals the best that we have eaten in Tokyo; we can understand why people choose this to celebrate anniversaries.

Our five year old daughter thoroughly enjoyed the food too.

On previous trips we have seen all of the archaeology and interesting places that Orkney has to offer so now our holidays are just to get the dose of relaxing atmosphere of Eastward House.

Although you can never choose which other travellers you get stuck with, in our experience awkward people are rare. You can however choose to experience the real friendship and stunning cuisine from what is the ultimate B & B.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank karenk041
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

A nice place to stay, especially when you cannot have dinner out - the owners catered not just for us, but also for our 1.5year old daughter. Food is nice (if not the suggested Michelin standard), fresh and plenty (for us, portions were mostly too big). Fresh fruit salad at breakfast was a daily treat!

The rooms are simply furnished (IKEA style), a few more hooks here and there would have been helpful (we had no chest of drawers in our room or means to hang wet jackets near the door).

The only reason why it's not a 5 star rating for me is that Patrick (the owner) was sometimes a bit too chatty. But other people might enjoy that!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 11 in Stromness
Karrawa Guest House
Karrawa Guest House
#2 of 26 in Kirkwall

Been to Eastward Guest House? Share your experiences!