“Excellent Guest House with even more excellent food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Margaret's Hope
Eastward Guest House
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed in Eastward House for two nights at the end of July 2011. The guest house is in a converted church, with beautiful views all around. Don't let the fact that it's situated beside the main island road bother you. It's one of the quietest main roads I have ever encountered in my travels. The only time we saw any amount of traffic on it was when a couple of coaches were coming back from the ferry port. The only thing I heard when I woke up in the morning was seabirds and sheep.

We stayed in the Lotus Blossom Room at the front of the building: a light, airy, en-suite room with beautiful arched windows. The comfortable bed, which is huge, is made up for you each day. The room is a good size, with lots of wardrobe space, which is useful if you're staying for any length of time. The bathroom is also well-sized and is stocked with good toiletries and huge, fluffy John Lewis bathsheets which are replaced fresh each day. There is a large guest lounge with comfortable sofas, a large flat-screen TV, an internet-connected computer for guest use, and generous tea and coffee making facilities.

So far, so normal for good B&Bs, I hear you say. But Eastward House is different, and that's down to the owners' and their approach to food and guests. When we arrived and dropped our bags in the room, we were invited to the lounge for a pot of tea and a chat with Patrick. He was keen to find out what we wanted from our trip to the Islands and to help us get the most from our time there. He was also able to point us in the direction of the South Ronaldsay cliff top walk, and as it wasn't a circular walk his wife, Keiko, ran us back to pick up our hire car from the starting point.

And what really sets Eastward House head and shoulders above the rest is the food. You get a hint of that when you sit down to breakfast, which you've ordered the night before. It starts with a big bowl of the best fruit salad you've ever had. For a start all the fruit used in it was perfectly ripe; it was all prepared to the highest standards (the citrus fruit segments were peeled); there was a great variety of fruit offered each day, and it wasn’t swimming in juice. Seriously, of all the things I miss from my trip, I miss this fruit salad the most. Haggis only gets second place on the list.

After the fruit comes warm rolls with homemade jam (plum and ginger when we were there), and porridge if you want it. G and I both had the full breakfast on our first morning which was a lot more full than other B&B breakfasts have been. Two sausages, two rashers of bacon, scrambled eggs, brown bread toast, beans, mushroom and tomato. I'm sad to say the standard breakfast is so filling we never managed to try their Fisherman's Plight breakfast. I had a scaled down breakfast for day two as I knew I couldn't do the full works justice. The packed lunch we got from them was of equally high standards, although the flask with hot water for tea was bigger than I’d want to be carrying for miles in a back-pack.

Eastward also offers evening meals, which need to be booked in advance. We booked the Tokyo Nights Japanese banquet for our second night there, indeed the banquet was what had tempted us to stay there in the first place. The standout courses for me were the sashimi and the tuna tataki, but the whole meal was plate-lickingly good. Hand on my heart, this meal beat the 12 course tasting menu we had in a Michelin-starred restaurant in Belfast by a country mile.

If you're looking a warm welcome in the Orkney Islands, with delicious food, I highly recommend Eastward House. I know where I'll be staying next time we visit Orkney.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank ShereenT

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed at this guest house for one night on our cycling trip around Orkney and the north of Scotland. What we found was an excellent B&B with large, comfortable rooms and gastronomic experience that you would be hard pushed to find in a top star restaurant. We had chosen the full Tokyo Nights menu and could not fault any of its many courses. Everything was beautifully presented and the company of the other gueests made it and enjoyable night. Be warned though, you will need to put aside the whole evening to complete this meal but it is so well cooked you will be eagerly anticipating each course before it arrives!! The breakfast isn't bad either!
The owners Keiko and Patrick are generous hosts and are proud to welcome you into their home. Patrick is very enthusiastic about all aspects of the service they provide and likes to provide ongoing commentary and information at every opportunity. In fact the only thing we could suggest to improve Eastward would be if Patrick could occasionally take a step back and give his guests more time to savour things for themselves!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank themapman61
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We were made to feel very welcome by Keiko and Patrick.
They were great hosts and gave several bits of good advice before we arrived.
The accommodation and food were both excellent.
The island of South Ronaldsay suited us very well as a base. It was a beautiful part of Orkney and gave good access to all other areas but offered a peaceful place to come back to at night.
We will no doubt be back as there is much we would still want to do and see.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RJB47
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Attention to detail, a passion for serving excellent food and an interest in getting to know their guests are just some of the things that make staying with Patrick & Keiko White at Eastward House so special.

We stayed for four days and celebrated our wedding anniversary whilst there, sharing a Tokyo Nights banquet with a couple from Belgium, whose anniversary was a couple of days before ours. The presentation and quality of the meal were exquisite and the experience made even more memorable when 'our' songs were included in the music accompanying our meal. Chocolates and a pretty pot plant from the family were unexpected, but most thoughtful gifts which enhanced the sense of occasion.

Breakfasts were superb - beautifully prepared fresh fruits & berries, delicious porridge (never thought I'd ever associate those two words!), fresh baked rolls and a very appetising selection of cooked items to choose from. My favourite was the perfectly poached eggs with sausage, bacon & tomato.

Our room was very comfortable with ample space for hanging clothes, a well provisioned tea & coffee tray, bottles of mineral water and generously sized fluffy white bath towels (ideal for the generously proportioned guest!)

Directions to various archaeological sites were accompanied by information about tides & tea shops and suggestions for visiting quiet woods, walks and bird watching were all well informed and made our visit to the island even more enjoyable.

Patrick, Keiko and their lovely family are most generous & welcoming and Eastward House is the ideal place for a memorable holiday.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank MLW28
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I went to Eastward house for 6 days on buisness, it was booked through my company but after my visit I would happily return again, and again. It was by far one of the best dining and hospitality experiences I have ever had. When I was at Eastward house I had the unique oppurtunity to experience all the themed menus, even the japenese banquet twice, and I must say every meal was outstanding. Each meal is prepared to the highest standard and if I were to give a full account of each meal you could be reading for quite some time so I will simply review my personal favourite, the Pacific Islands menu. The first dish was Tahiti sauteed prawns which were fresh and cooked to perfection with a very satisfying spicy kick. Followed by a very refreshing mango sorbet, again made perfectly. The main dish was Polynesian lamb with baked sweet potato and Samoan banana, the lamb was melt in your mouth brilliant with the sweet potato prividing a unique but excellent accompaniment, the banana was superb and unique tasting, very sweet and yet not at all sickly, giving excellent balance to the dish. The desert was in keeping with the high standard, Haupia, a coconut based custard desert served with pineapple and mango, nothing short of the perfect end to a faultless meal. Aswell as the food, the place provides a unique atmosphere when dining, as the dining room is just slightly bigger than a family dining room so all the guests dine together, and with some meals like the japanese banquet taking around 4 hours to complete there is a real oppurtunity to get to know the other guests, I personally got the oppurtunity to meet people and familys from all over the world and shared laughs with everyone. This unique atmosphere is as much a reason to visit as the food provided and is lost in the mainstream hotel experience.
The service is always friendly and over the week I stayed there I got to know the family that runs the establishment and they are a delight, as it is family run, you really get a homely feeling when staying there. The rooms are always clean and spacious with lots of room for clothes, and the wash facilities provided are very good. For those who are intersted there is high speed internet provided. The place is also suited to those who wish to get away from it all, with excellent views, a vast selections of books and a spacious and comfortable lounge area to relax in.
I cannot pick a single fault from the time I spent there, the one thing I would reccomend to guests is not to over eat during the day as this establishment does not do half portions and I would hate for anyone to miss out on the suberb food this establisment provides. For those amung you who wish to see the menu here is the hotels website www.eastwardhouse.com.

Room Tip: I honestly could not reckamend one room over another as the owners keep every room the highest stand...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank ascott22
Reviewed July 20, 2011

i stayed at the eastward house bed and breakfast for a total of seven days and i could not say a bad word about it. the room was lovely and constantly clean the views are fantastic.The food is by far the best food i have ever tried with such a wide variety of themed nights you would be hard pressed to find anywhere willing to compete with such top quality food, the atmosphere was also terrific during my short stay i meet and dined with different people from all over the world eating food i would otherwise have very little chance of trying. The social gathering's at dinner where full of laughs and new friends enjoying new food and honsetly the best food i have tried anywhere in europe. the owners could not do enough for you and make you feel welcome in thier home the only thing that remains is to go back again and again for the hospitallity and friendship i recived at eastward house.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Fatgingerman
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We are a family of Milan with 3 children. We stayed at the Eastward Guets House for 2 nights and it was a wonderful experience: the warmth, sympathy, the kindness of the owners made ​​us feel the friends not customers. Our children played with their children and spent 2 wonderful days in Orkney. The food was truly exceptional: both breakfast and dinner. Without a doubt the best bed and breakfast where we stayed. If you go to the Orkneys not have any doubt: Eastward House

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
#4 of 9 in Kirkwall
Burnside Farm
Burnside Farm
#1 of 9 in Stromness

Been to Eastward Guest House? Share your experiences!