“I guess I'm just not the Arty type”
Review of Pier Arts Centre

Pier Arts Centre
Ranked #8 of 28 things to do in Stromness
More attraction details
Owner description: The Pier Arts Centre in Orkney was established in 1979 to provide a home for an important collection of British fine art donated by Margaret Gardiner (1904 - 2005). Alongside the permanent collection The Pier Arts Centre curates a year round programme of temporary exhibitions and events for the education and enjoyment of the general public.
England, Arkansas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I guess I'm just not the Arty type”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I liked parts of the building, especially the harbour view. Some of the contents left me wondering . . . .What Is It?

Lydbrook,United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Surprising little gem”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

From the outside the Pier Arts Centre isn't too promising however once inside it's bright and airy. I should point out that I'm not a big modern art fan and wouldn't know a Barbara Hepworth if it hit me. That said, the art is accessible enough to enjoy and the building it's in has been refurbished to an excellent standard. I suspect that if I knew more about art, and Barbara Hepworth in particular, I'd have given it 5 out of 5.

If you're in Stromness, pop in and have a look around.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fabulous art gallery”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

First opportunity to visit this gallery since it was refurbished. Wonderful building, an amazing setting for an extra-ordinary collection of paintings. The story of how the collection came to be in Orkney. Very impressive.

1 Thank jch_12
westcoast scotland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“unexpected treasures”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

barbara hepworths & marvellous art - not a stag or tartan to be seen

Somerset, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“If you like art then don't miss when in Orkney”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Do not be put off by the tinted windows at the entrance (I spoke to them about this!)...don't even bother peering in....just walk in, say hello...and explore...it's that simple.

Visited May 2012